Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2015, 15:46   #1

Help

My wife and I are relatively new to saling, we've both taken bareboat sailing classes, have sailed in the Great Lakes and now we are looking at buying our own sailboat. My questions are numerous and from what I have seen on the different posts there are a lot of great suggestions and the advice looks to be invaluable. First, we would like to buy a boat and sail out of Bayfield, WI, the extent of our sailing will be based upon our confidence. We are looking at an Island Packet, my choice for a number of reasons, but the main reason is safety and comfort. There are a number of "production" boats that are a little larger and a little less expensive, but I would like the Island Packet. Any suggestions on this boat vs a Beneteau or Oceanis and what we might expect in Bayfield or the Great Lakes would be greatley appreciated. Our budget is in the 125-150k for purchase and another 25-50k for updates. We are relatively newbies but this has been a dream and any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
Barley pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 20:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley pops View Post
My wife and I are relatively new to saling, we've both taken bareboat sailing classes, have sailed in the Great Lakes and now we are looking at buying our own sailboat. My questions are numerous and from what I have seen on the different posts there are a lot of great suggestions and the advice looks to be invaluable. First, we would like to buy a boat and sail out of Bayfield, WI, the extent of our sailing will be based upon our confidence. We are looking at an Island Packet, my choice for a number of reasons, but the main reason is safety and comfort. There are a number of "production" boats that are a little larger and a little less expensive, but I would like the Island Packet. Any suggestions on this boat vs a Beneteau or Oceanis and what we might expect in Bayfield or the Great Lakes would be greatley appreciated. Our budget is in the 125-150k for purchase and another 25-50k for updates. We are relatively newbies but this has been a dream and any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum Barley Pops!

You posted some good info in your intro.

IP yachts are nice boats. Not my personal favorite, but I tend prefer a different style. The IP brand is well respected, and there are several IP owners that are members of this forum.

I will post some of my favorite tips for new members below. They may not be what you expect, but I believe they will help you in the near term and in the long run if you intend to spend much time here on this forum and if you wish to gain the most from the knowledge available and shared here etc.

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ics-19760.html

There are also some "social groups" that are more focused on special interests, and as I saw, they can be fun for their members. I am not a member of those groups, but you should be able to find them if you do some exploring of the forum website, look for "groups."

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

Tip: Look for a CF Group for Island Packet owners.

There is a free Cruiser's Wiki associated with this forum.
There is a LOT of free content in that wiki. Including "cruising guides."

Here is one you might find useful:

http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Great_Lakes

As a newbie to boats or sailing, there is a LOT of additional information there too. I suggest looking at the contents to see. http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/World_Cruising_Guides

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

I hope these tips help you and others here.

Sincerely,
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 04:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Barley pops.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 07:34   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Barley pops, welcome to the adventure of sailing and cruising. It is a great life. Island Packet makes wonderful, well built boats. No comparison to the other brands you mentioned which are much lighter build quality. Good choice. With any used boat though it's all about condition, maintenance and upgrades. Of course, you will look it over carefully yourself and get a professional survey.

If you are going to base out of Bayfield Wisconsin check out Pikes Creek Keel Club. Nice folks.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote