Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 10:00   #1

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island
Hello, Total newbie from 2132ft in the mountains

Hello everybody, we are an early 40s couple, total newbs to cruising, boating and life on the water, we hail from an actual 1 red light town in the Appalachian mountains of swVA. Recently having our children raised (if thats ever possible) and having an empty nest we are chasing a goal thats been in our sites for several years now. For me its been a lifelong dream to be on the coastal water, for her not so much but due to her great love for me she has agreed to chase my dream with me, for 1yr at least, kicking and screaming i'm sure of lol. We do share the common ambition to better ourselves and both know there is limited chances of that where we live. We purchased a 27' Carver last year with the intention of it being the start of our future but sold it a couple months ago after factoring load and transport costs feasible at the time. We were happy with the size and space but decided to seek one already on the water. So now tasked with me trying to find a boat, finding a liveaboard slip, finding employment, and making the three all come together has proved to be quite the challenge. Once I establish all that she will follow up leaving our home as our son starts college. I have recently accepted employment in Wilmington NC beginning in three weeks and have been edging towards panic mode in my search of our new home on the water and a place to put it.
midlifemizfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:23   #2

Re: Hello, Total newbie from 2132ft in the mountains

Welcome aboard from a former mountain man. Spent some time around Wilmington many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the area. Family still talks about the area and desires to go back from time to time.

Not sure about marinas in the area, as we were not actively sailing at that time. However, you should not have a problem finding a good boat along the eastern coast of NC (Wilmington, Oriental, and Outer Banks areas).

I would assume that at about 2,132 ft in SW Va, that you are from about Abbington or Gate city area?
Lifes a beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:12   #3

You are spot on, about 16mi north of Abingdon. My ideal is Beaufort, Oriental, Havelock area but landed a employment in a potentially life changing career path in Wilmington so we'll see how that shakes out.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few resultsi for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 13:58   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, midlifemizfits, and I'd like to send a welcome via you to your good lady wife, as well. It is likely to be very emotional for her to give up both her youngest to college and the home in which she raised her family at the same time. She will have friendly attachment to your mountain life.

If she can grasp the nettle, and push herself through the rough times, there will be many pleasures ahead. I hope she makes it. If you can find ways to help her make it fun for her too, that will be a great boon to both of you.

Off my soapbox now, and cheers.

Ann
Old 08-08-2016, 10:30   #6

Thank you Ann and others, I look forward to tapping into your wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48   #7

Boat: 1987 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Wow, I can't remember the last time I was at that low of an elevation! Best of luck to you and your lady! Make it work!
BobFromColorado is offline   Reply With Quote