Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-01-2014, 18:59   #16

Boat: Charter
Re: Hello to the group

Originally Posted by TriumphTR6 View Post
Hi all,

We are new to the forum. We finally have the boat (Tayana 48DS) and the nav plan (QLD coast and beyond) - it's just a matter of the last remaining details - selling the house and what do we do with our very much loved dog Sasha? Anyway, I am retired so I will be looking for a few crewing jobs to learn more skills before we make the final break-away. We will be asking lots of questions to help prepare, so stand by!

Welcome to the forum! If you want to bring the dog for your cruising, check out this convenient way: These Cute Dogs Are Ready to Cruise Just kidding!

sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 00:55   #17

Boat: Tayana 48DS

Hi All,

Thanks for a great welcome. It seems that a few of us has had similar introductions to pets/motorcycles/cars/boats. We (and my wife Leigh) are really looking forward to the next phase - it is getting closer and we are getting very excited as to what that might bring. We were once offered some great advice by another couple of Aussies already out there doing it, in that we should buy the boat well in advance of retirement (and the big trip) and sail it in local waters to get to know her before we head off. It didn't take long for me to agree with that!! We have owned Outnumbered now for 2 years and have done quite a bit of coastal stuff, but now reckon as a couple we are ready to try something a little more challenging. But we have plenty of time, and I don't want to end up having to sail the boat by my own. Hope to meet some of you out there, and again, thanks for the great welcome.

TriumphTR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 09:14   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 50' Ketch

I think I am a little less than 2 years out on my plans. I get my fix every year when I take some vacation time and leave the confines of the Columbia and get out in the big Blue Pacific. I purchase my Cascade 29 from a couple up in the San Juan Islands near Friday Harbor. The few months I sailed up there was a dream... Then sailing my Gulfstar around San Francisco Bay has been a dream also. Right now I am looking at April as the target date to sail up to Astoria from Alameda. A lot of preparations to make and it is hard from 650 miles away.
CptJ-GS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Originally Posted by CptJ-GS50 View Post
I (in my younger years) always wanted a motorcycle. Nothing big just something to play with off-road. I dare age myself when I say... as a 13 year old I learned to ride on a Honda 305 Scrambler.... I loved the look and I loved the sound of it. But, sadly I never owned a motorcycle...Over the past 18 months since my divorce was complete I have become semi-actively involved with Portland International Raceway and SCCA events. Just being in the midst of all these race cars is invigorating. "Nothing like the smell of racing fuel in the morning".... Then the quiet tranquility of sailing off into the sunset....
A bunch of us here have similar stories about cars and bikes and old boats.

Had I waited a few months I would have bought a 62 TR3 (my dream car) that a friend had for sale. As it was I got the TR4A.

Back in the very old days I borrowed a friend's Honda Dream (305 road bike) to get to and from work when my '57 VW's brakes went out.

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: