Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2007, 02:18   #1

Hello there Anchor Clankers,

My name is Steve (from USA) and my Wifes name is Petula (from England).

I have lived and crewed on a 66 foot Motor Sailer and piloted a friends 60 foot barge (houseboat). I have always loved boating but was never in a position to do it as a way of life I have been severely land locked!. My wife has always liked the Ocean and boats and has always dreamed of living on a boat. Well, we are now in the process of making that happen!!!

Petula has traveled extensively throughout Europe in a Caravan (English for Trailer) and has no problem with the limited space.

I have some sailing experience but due to our ages we are probably going to opt for a Power Yacht.

Being newbies we will need some guidance and advice on some of the decisions we will need to make about our new life style. We appreciate in advance your patients and help.

Thanks to all
Steve and Petula

Old 20-08-2007, 04:08   #2

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
some advice on long term cruising

1, books and books as much as you can take

2 Blue Plant and History books of the places you will visit.

3. as many engine spares as you can get for your engine

4. plan according to weather condition IE time of year

5 Have medications as much as needed and extra for emergency toothace..

6if you ever reach the Medeataerinan... write to me..we have sailed the MED for 50 years now...

Mike

migot1

Old 20-08-2007, 13:22   #3

Thanks Mike for your suggestions. Here is a little on my background so you may better understand my potential and needs as a liveaboad cruiser.

I have extensive mechanical, electrical and craft type of experience so I prefer to do as much of my own work as is possible. I am usually only limited by the tools and equipment that may be at my disposal. I have also been a Private Pilot and am a Veteran of the US Army from the Viet Nam era (I did serve one year there). I retired in 2003 from a major city as a Building and HVAC Inspector. I have restored Muscle cars and have experience as a Pipe Fitter, Welder, Steel Fabricator, Machinist, Electrician, HVAC Installer, Plumber and much more. I believe my experiences and background will be very beneficial for living aboard.

50 years!!! Wow that sounds wonderful!!!

Thanks Steve & Petula
Old 20-08-2007, 18:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Steve - Sounds like you have a great background for living on and maintaining a boat. Mechancal skills are crucial.

I'd recommend boning up on the mechanics and physics of masts, rigging and sails.

If you background is in AC systems I'd take a Phd course in DC electrical systems. DC electrics seem to be the biggest mystery to most people. Once you understand DC circuits add on DC charging systems to include alternator, solar and wind.

Then you should get a basic understanding of fiberglass and fiberglass repair. You won't use it much - hopefully - but a basic understanding is a good. idea. Of course if you end up with a steel or wood boat belay that order - LOL.

Some guys can never have too many tools. I tend to try and have the right sized tool set for fixing stuff underway. Get good quality tools (non-corroding) for both mechanical and electrical work and a waterproof tool box. A lot of my shore based tools are being replaced over time as they start to rust up.

I find as a private pilot the navigation and pilotage is all pretty easy and I am sure you will too.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 18:37   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Hey,

You said motor over sail I'd guess because of age. Using a walker? That might be a reason but I've seen guys racing who are chair bound. Don't give up sail just yet. I truly believe you can get a lot more boat for the buck going sail and then there is the thrill of life in the fast lane at 5 -6 knots. Same as a lot of trollers only a bit cheaper on fule.
Old 20-08-2007, 19:41   #6

I personaly believe we (my wife and I) could handle a modern Sailbpat. However, try as I may my better half is affraid she will not be ale to do that as she has a bad back. Lifting, pulling and bending excesively are a no, no for her.

I prefer sailing for a couple of reasons, one I feel more in tune with the craft while I am sailing as motoring is just a means of transport but at least it is on the water. Two, the economics of voyage by sail means we would have better potential for extended stays where ever we may go.

However, for the sake of marital bliss and my wifes full happiness and cooperation I will go with a motor. Oh, and no, I don't need the use of a walker yet, but I have had triple bypass surgery and some minor continuing heart issues. So that and my wifes back and general health are major facrors.
Old 20-08-2007, 19:53   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Ok,

We have a cat. Our last boat was a mono but the wife would go white nuckel on me at the least bit of heal. She has gotten much better but I still do most of the trim. On night passage we slow way down and she calls if something comes up. So far so good

good luck with your hunt

Gary
Old 23-08-2007, 13:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Steve and Petula,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum. I knew you had to be ex Army to say "Anchor Klankers." I too was blessed to visit in country Vietnam for a year 69-70. Navy river rat.
Good to have you here. Lots of power boaters here as well as rag top sailors.
JohnL
Old 29-08-2007, 16:40   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Happy to add my welcome, Petula and Steve,
Power or sail - the more people who take to the water with the right attititude, the better the world will be.
Good luck with your plans and hope to see you one day on the oceans.
JOHN

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: