Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2012, 18:31   #1

Hello There

Hi my name is Michael just purchased my first sailboat and am so excited. Its a 1976 Kent Ranger 24. I have searched the web with not a lot of luck on info about the boat. If any one knows anything about the boat I would love to hear about it. Me and my girlfriend saw the boat at a marina for sale and just had to have it. Its a good looking little boat seems to be in good shape has three bags of sails in cabin which I haven't had a a chance to pull out yet. I look forward to hearing feedback from more experienced people since we are a young couple who are excited about learning to sail. Any suggestions on a good place to post about the boat to get feedback would be much appreciated. Illl try to get some pictures up as soon as possible.
76 Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 03:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello There

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Michael.

See ➥ http://homepage.mac.com/socrates4718...er24/indx.html

And ➥ http://homepage.mac.com/socrates4718...hMan/indx.html

And ➥ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KentRanger20Boats/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:47   #3

Thank you GordMay for the links. I had found one of those and thats about all I can find. Im guessing the 24' Kent Ranger either was not a very popular boat or there was not many of them made bc it seems to be that not many people have ever heard of them or know much about them. I got some pics posted late last night so they should be on here if anyone would like to take a look. Still haven't gotten any inside pictures yet need to do some cleaning inside first. Thanks again for any responses.
76 Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 12:43   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It's good to have you here.
The Kent Ranger is more popular in the Pacific Northwest where there seems to be more of them.
kind regards,
Old 22-07-2013, 15:47   #5

They were built by Ranger boats in Kent, Washington, which is why there are more of them on Puget Sound and around Portland than anywhere else.

In theory they were designed as a quarter-tonner, or more likely Ray Richards slightly adjusted his design so that someone who really wanted to race the boats in the 70's and 80's could race in the quarter-ton class.

PHRF certificates give a general idea how boats perform, here are a few rating from the SF Bay PHRF committee for similar boats.

San Juan 24 - 214
Ranger 24 - 219
Mull custom 1/4 ton - 198
Sprinta Sport (23-footer) - 198
Santana 525 - 189

"Cruisers" like Cal 24's and 25's rate about 215-220. A J-24 rates about 168, so is significantly faster.

So in other words, in general overall performance, the Ranger 24 should be more or less comparable to more "cruise" and "daysail" oriented 23-25 foot boats of its era. It will be somewhat slower than boats really designed as race boats. I've sailed the Sprinta Sports, Cal 25's and the Ranger 24 and if I wanted to day-race, or maybe overnight/singlehand and that's it, I'd take the Sprinta Sport. If I wanted to race in the ocean and occasionally cruise, I'd take the Cal 25. If I wanted to cruise on SF Bay and down the coast a bit, *Espeically* if I was going to spend more than one or two nights on the boat, well, the room inside the Ranger 24 is pretty attractive.
Alan H is offline   Reply With Quote