Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 09:32   #1

Boat: 39ft Corbin pilot house
Hello sailors! From Texas

Hello everyone! My name is Tyler and the family and I are wanting to cruise the world within a year or two. I just bought a project boat in Pampano Beach Florida and am looking forward to a complete rebuild. I own a restoration/hot rod shop in the Dallas area and although I'm not fully versed in boats, I do know the amount of labor and time needed for a refit. The boat I purchased is a 39 Corbin. We are in the process of switching over the title, regs, and getting insurance. Of course being new to the cruising world we have a ton of questions and are out of our comfort zone. Right where we want to be!

I guess the first questions/concerns is getting the boat to Galveston Tx. Seeing how this is a project boat in every sense of the word we plan to stay in the intercoastal waterway. I need help to get the boat up to Stuart and then across the canal to Fort Meyers. Where should I post for help in this matter? Crew needed? Deal is that I'm uncertain of the condition of the drive line and may need to tow the boat with a tender. Also this boat is a canoe stern and seems that it would be difficult to mount an outboard. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
battendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 09:46   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Hello sailors! From Texas

Have you looked at the distance involved to move that boat via the ICW from east florida to Galveston?

you'll need to be sure that the inboard is in tip top shape, there's no practical way to tow it that distance or strap on an outboard that would cost less than making the inboard functional.

another gotcha will be the mast height....I've found a reference to 56' bridge clearance. tight if not impossible to parts of the trip.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 09:57   #3

Hi Sailmonkey! Yes we have looked into distance and decided to break the trip into a few shorter jaunts. The plan is to motor or tow up to Loggerhead marina in Stuart and go over things there. That won't be but a few hours. I wouldn't move the boat from the current location tell the boat systems were gone over except that it is currently at a private residence. The motor starts up fine now, just don't want to find out there is a hidden issue half way through the inland. Also the plan is to take down the mast so height won't be an issue.
Old 14-05-2016, 10:05   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Ah ha......much less of a project than it sounded like at first. Our boat was behind a residence in Tampa, the biggest barrier we ran into was the huge amount of growth on the prop. a prolonged snorkel and scrape session got us out of the slip and moving nicely.

If you're looking for crew, certainly post in the crew wanted section.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 10:51   #5

Thanks sailmonkey. I don't think it'll be to bad of a move, just lots of hours on the motor. Good idea on scrapping the bottom.

Tags
sail, texas