Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 18:49   #1

Boat: 1987 322 O'Day - 32
Hello Sailors

I have a 1987 - 322 O'Day
I have enjoyed reading the post questions and answers. I purchase this boat for my husband last year and sadly he passed away and never made the maiden voyage. I am slowly learning how to sail my boat. It has been 30* years that I sailed. Any advice I would gladly accept.
Sailing has given me peace and healing.
Sincerly hoping to learn more.
Linda
Sail Away Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 18:55   #2

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Hello Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Away Mom View Post
I have a 1987 - 322 O'Day
I have enjoyed reading the post questions and answers. I purchase this boat for my husband last year and sadly he passed away and never made the maiden voyage. I am slowly learning how to sail my boat. It has been 30* years that I sailed. Any advice I would gladly accept.
Sailing has given me peace and healing.
Sincerly hoping to learn more.
Linda
Hi Linda,
Welcome to the Forum. So sorry to hear about your husband, but happy you've re-found sailing. I would suggest taking a few introductory sailing courses to fast track you. ASA has good ones. Fair winds and following seas.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 20:30   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Linda,

Welcome Aboard CF, and good on you. Sorry for your loss. You will always have the memories of all the good times; they will come to predominate.

I hope you will find some sailing friends along the way to share all the fun stuff with.

And, sure, if you think your skills are lacking, either ask out right for help or do classes, where and as needed, nothing wrong with that.

If you particularly enjoy singlehanding, there are a few women here who are often singlehanders, SailorChic34, and gamayun, both in the San Francisco Bay area. "zeehag", in Mexico, is skipper of her own boat, as well, although she takes crew for passages, and has some stories to tell, too. Apologies if I've left out someone.

Should you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Ann
Old 05-08-2017, 20:59   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome here Linda! I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you find many future blissful days ahead at the helm! Feel free to ask away here!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:33   #5

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Welcome among us on CF, Linda

i'm sorry for your loss. it's a tough road to travel... i lost my man in a tragic accident 23 years ago, and my road was slippery, very. for me, sailing is the best way, if not the only way, to go to that simple place where one can nestle in peacefulness. may the wind and the waves and deepest line of the horizon guide you to that place as well.

an O'day 32 is a nice sailboat. i hope you are feeling comfortable sailing her and getting to know her systems.

feel free to ask the CF community if you need advice. overall, i would describe the folks here being exceptionally knowledgeable and extremely generous, a wonderful group.

yet i do recommend that you first do a search ("search" is located in the bar in color above) as you may find the answer to your question. or, if it is a bit technical, then doing a search will help you formulate the question and understand the answers.

in any case, good luck to you and welcome aboard!

kindly,

wolfgal
Old 12-03-2019, 12:49   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Almost 2 years. Any updates?
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 08:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Welcome among us on CF, Linda

i'm sorry for your loss. it's a tough road to travel... i lost my man in a tragic accident 23 years ago, and my road was slippery, very. for me, sailing is the best way, if not the only way, to go to that simple place where one can nestle in peacefulness. may the wind and the waves and deepest line of the horizon guide you to that place as well.

an O'day 32 is a nice sailboat. i hope you are feeling comfortable sailing her and getting to know her systems.

feel free to ask the CF community if you need advice. overall, i would describe the folks here being exceptionally knowledgeable and extremely generous, a wonderful group.

yet i do recommend that you first do a search ("search" is located in the bar in color above) as you may find the answer to your question. or, if it is a bit technical, then doing a search will help you formulate the question and understand the answers.

in any case, good luck to you and welcome aboard!

kindly,

wolfgal
Wolfgal,
First, I would like to apologize for not seeing your response on the website. I thank you for your very helpful and kind words. I am beginning my 4th season of sailing my 322 O’ Day. I could use more confidence, (and strength). I got a Winch-rite for help with strength, and I am hoping going out more this season (it was very rainy last year no crew wanted to go out),
Again I thank YOU for the encouraging kind words of wisdom. Sincerely, Linda
Old 13-03-2019, 09:58   #8

Hi Linda.

I have moderate experience on boat up to 45 feet and am always looking for opportunities to sail. If you need crew this summer send me a PM.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 14:52   #9

Fahtcha,
I certainly could use more crew members, I will definaelty keep you in mind. ��
Linda
Old 15-03-2019, 05:40   #10

Welcome to the forum! Cheers!
TimMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 01:01   #11

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Away Mom View Post
Wolfgal,
First, I would like to apologize for not seeing your response on the website. I thank you for your very helpful and kind words. I am beginning my 4th season of sailing my 322 O’ Day. I could use more confidence, (and strength). I got a Winch-rite for help with strength, and I am hoping going out more this season (it was very rainy last year no crew wanted to go out),
Again I thank YOU for the encouraging kind words of wisdom. Sincerely, Linda
Hey Linda, fourth season! excellent! and --- oops, it seems that i welcomed you two years after your original post - it is curious how that happened, no idea...

i'm glad to hear that you've got the winch-rite.

i tested one (like this) last december at a boat fair. as much as i hope my muscles will stay with me, lately i've noted how the strength issue lurks on my horizon as well. more than this, i'm amazed at how muscles 'decide' to shrink when we are thinking about other things, doing other things, especially on land.

and yes, self-confidence, once it has shrunk, doesn't come back easy. i've discovered that i've got to earn it bit by bit! so, it is wonderful for me to know that you are doing it!!!

keep sailing, girl!

wolfgal

Tags
sail