Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 18:38   #1

Hello! Sailing couple from CT, USA.

Hello! I'm that person who is always lurking around forums of this sort and never say anything. My husband and I are from Connecticut and sail out of Niantic. We've fixed up (and are still fixing up... it doesn't ever end...) a 25 ft Seafarer (Rhodes) Meridian... 1962, lovely wooden mast. Anywho, the reason I've decided to post is because we're always looking for other like-minded people to meet up with or possibly get to know. We're young (25) and haven't met many people in our age group who are serious about sailing (planning to go cruising...eventually). I figured I might as well post to see if there are any other younger folk in CT who might want to chat!
FrecklesInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 19:14   #2

Re: Hello! Sailing couple from CT, USA.

Welcome to CF FrecklesInside
I would think you can find someone you age on this forum, we have folks from all over the world and a variety of ages.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, FrecklesInside.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:19   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:46   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

FrecklesInside,

Welcome aboard the CF. Wow, 25 and already thinking about cruising. We are out of Mystic, Connecticut. Have been sailing in Fishers Island sound for the last few weeks.
Long Island Sound is one of the best cruising grounds around.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:05   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hello FrecklesInside. Welcome to the forum. I consider myself younger. Now if I can only remember where I left my walker and glasses....Nurse...nurse!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:09   #7

Boat: In between boats

Hi FrecklesInside,

Welcome to the forum! The seafarer is a nice looking ship. I'm on the south shore on long island and should be rounding into the sound in late July after the ALIR. I'f you want to meet up and do a weekend cruise, let me know.

Happy Sailing!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 07:10   #8

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Hi Freckles,

To answer your first question, no it doesn't end, especially with a wooden boat (been there) .

You're not going to find a whole lot of 20somethings on their own boats. They are definitely out there, but most folks in that age group are too busy with small kids, college and work. I'm 38 and my wife is 36 and we have some friends in their 20's who have boats, but they sail out of the Stamford.

For the past couple of years, we've attended a raft-up that was organized by the folks over at the Latitudes and Attitudes forums. Brings in people from all over the area and it's a great way to meet other area sailors. Last year it was at Port Jefferson in August. I'll try to remember to cross post it here but if you are definitely interested, send me a PM and I'll let you know when more firms plans are set.

You might also check out local yacht clubs. Ask around to see if any of them have membership specials for younger people. Many clubs have some serious discounts for folks in their 20's. Could be a great way to meet people if others are taking them up on the offer.

Finally, there's racing. I learned on a racer/cruiser and there are always younger people crewing on the boats, many of which would also be interested in cruising, they just don't know about it. The after parties in some of the regattas are also a great way to meet people. In addition, racing is a great way to hone your sailing skills. I was a much better sailor when I was a regular on a race boat than I am now!
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 12:32   #9

Hey! So yeah I've been lurking around a bit as well, this is my first post here. Wanted to share some common feeling. When I was 25 I also bought a sailboat (i am 31 now, getting so old!!) and sailed it a bit.
Was a beat up coronado 25 from 1969. Did a little bit of fixing, but a lot of bit of sailing in comparison. Boat was a couple hours away from my home so I'm still not that great of a sailor but I have fun and its been a great excuse to go out with some friends for a couple days on the water. Sold that one in 2008 and took a couple years off while going to business school, but just bought a new boat a 1980 hunter 27.

Back when I had the coronado, I joined a yacht club and it was a great deal. No special price break, but it was an unassuming club, and had great reciprocal priviledges up and down the Hudson and out on the sound. Also, mooring, winter storage, and launch were all super cheap. Had annual work hours but that was ok, good in that I met everybody. Learned a lot from all the members. I feel like most people our age who are sailing have sailed since birth. I was the youngest member in the club (in most cases by 30+ years!), and only then had begun building my experience. Still, everyone was awesome and so helpful. They gave me a lot of guidance to spend less time working on the boat and more time sailing it.

Anyway, I live and sail out of NYC but would love to hear more about your experiences. I am planning a sail trip out to Massachusetts sometime in July with my lady, and some friends, so if you and I get to chatting more, maybe we'd stop by along the way in CT and say hi.
aclevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 18:05   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I was 25 a long time ago but never lived in CT. I first went cruising at age 18 with the Navy. Not exactly what we consider cruising here on the forum. Hope you can find like-minded young folks to share your dreams with. If not. We're here on the forum and a wonderful lot to talk to.
kind regards,
Old 04-08-2012, 16:44   #11

Hello from Texas, and congratulations on your choice of boat. I owned Meridian hull #8 or 9 (can't quite recall now) many years ago. I believe she was a '61. Lovely wooden spars and high quality Merriman bronze hardware. That boat sailed so sweet --- I could just trim the sails, let go of the tiller, and she would track like a train, pretty much on any point of sail. Did a total cosmetic restoration, then sold her to take my family bluewater cruising on a much larger boat. I'll always have fond memories of my Meridian though. Here is a foto of her from the early '90s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Janie II after redo  1993.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	44420  
captqrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing