Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 18:40   #1

Hello! New guy in the gulf coast here

How's it going guys and girls?
To be honest and up front I have never sailed in my just short of 30 years living that I know of, but after motor boating for the first time last year I'd really like to learn and see how it feels to work with the water and sea breeze, get into the inner workings of a good sail boat. I love learning new things especially when mechanic's or mechanical objects are used together to accomplish a common goal. I have a few books on order (Any suggestions would be appreciated)and will soon ask a local co-worker to share all his knowledge and suggestions on how to really get started and if the boats I'm currently looking at are decent beginner boats, but good enough to hold me over for a few years if I really get into it. Not sure of the good seasons to really sail but the winds have been crazy this month. That alone maybe what sparked my interested. I was considering heading out to a few classes held on NAS Pensacola to get started but I leave next year to Fort Gordon Ga for training, hince the books. So anyways I'm here located close to NAS Pensacola FL, hoping to learn as much as a family guy can.
merc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 18:46   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:04   #3

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome. There's nothing like making horsepower out of wind. Be very careful; it is addicting! Welcome again.
Old 01-12-2008, 19:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Welcome to the forum. Be very careful with sail boats, they can change your life. I had never been on a sailboat in my life and went on a cruise to the Bahamas with a couple of college friends from FL that grew up on boats. I loved it so much I went home, read every book and magazine on sailing I could find, and within a year had sold my business and had a job on a boat in the Bahamas. Didn't see the states for almost 2 years.

One thing to get started is to go down to the beach and rent a small sailboat, hobie cats are fun. No better way to learn how the wind makes a boat go. Small boats are lighter and respond a lot faster so you see exactly what happens with every puff and ever adjustment of the sailes. Then if you want to know what cruising on a bigger boat is like you can look for a crew position. Racers are always looking for spare crew if you can handle the bashing and crashing. If you have some time it is not too difficult to find a crew spot on a yacht delivery. If you know anyone that can handle a boat and get several friends together it is not too expensive to charter a boat for a week.

Have fun.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:08   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneri1 View Post
Welcome. There's nothing like making horsepower out of wind. Be very careful; it is addicting! Welcome again.

And unfortunately you may find these sailing Forums just as much so..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:23   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Merc,
Welcome aboard! I recommend that you pursue the sailing classes as soon as you can. Buying a boat is fun but learning in a class environment will get you started in the right direction and you'll know more about what you want to buy once you've completed the classes.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:28   #7

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
Hello and welcome from another newbie. I give another bump for taking a class. Not only will they teach you to sail, they will also educate you on the surrounding waterways as well as the invaluable rules of the road and rights of way.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 19:56   #8

Welcome Merc4now,
I'm close to you in Mobile, AL. I met some people at the local yacht club and sailed aboard their boats to learn. We have Thursday night fun races during day-light savings time. I bought a Pearson 26 a couple of months later and taught myself. you'll get the hang of it pretty soon.
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 16:54   #9

did you just jump into the 26'? I found a possible restorable 60's 70's 19.9 Bristol Corinthian, but I can't find any info on this thing so not sure if it's worth getting (possible trade for an old beater honder (92) out right but will to pay to get the title issue straight, and most of all no sails or motor . I also found a 22'? foot unknown type or model, possible swing keel since it sits flat on a trailer in the classifieds both with trailer which is the big thing found some awesome boats for close to my price range but all are hundreds of miles away and do not include trailer. I was looking into to taking classes and after this symester I may since I'll have a break. Is it realistic to find a sail within a month boat around 20' w/trailer for 1K?
merc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:27   #10

Boat: hunter 31 " Jacobs Dream"
Send a message via ICQ to Charlesc Send a message via Yahoo to Charlesc
WElcome from another gulf coaster ,, im in Fairhope/ Fly Creek Maraina
Charlesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:59   #11

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Ahoy and welcome aboard,

Find the local Coast Guard boating classes. They will provide you with the basic navigation, rules of the road, safety requirements, legal stuff... it's really a great class they put on.

Then go buy the biggest damn sailboat you can almost barely not afford, sink all your extra cash in it, sweat on every portion of the deck, go through boxes and boxes of band-aids, and live one of the best dog-gone dreams around.

WOO-HOOO!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:48   #12

Boat: Watkins 27
If you can post a picture of the 22' someone here might just be able to identify her for you. I would stay away from boats that have title issues. You might not ever got one.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf coast