Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 17:27   #1

Boat: 1970 morgan 28
pirate Hello - Morgan 28

HELLO !!! I am a new forum member as well as the "new" owner of a 1970 MORGAN 28[shallowdraft]boat,which I have christened "the MOKEN",she is a work in progress,after 3 days of "trashing",pretty near everything,from sails[rotten&rat gnawed] to clorox bottles[can ya drink that stuff],about 20 of them.the boat was "on the hook",for bout 6yr's and has a lot of lil probs -none that I cannot repair/replace,however on a retired budget ,it will be a LONG process.it appear's to have been sunk 1 or 2 times hear in Oriental nc.AS a "re-hab sailor I am starting at the waterline and working on the interior,untill spring/summer and then will beach her for a hull survey/scraping repair painting[whew] once that is accomplished,I will work on sails and rigging.the motor was removed at some point and a "freakin wire nightmare" lives in that space,the fuel tank is inplace& the battery&bilge pump works[thank you]!!! I will be asking scads of questions[try NOT to laugh] I used to build "glass"boats in fla in the 70's [victoria yaghts] in benson junction-debary ].but now live in Oriental nc [marker 182 on the ICW].thanks for reading pic's will follow later 1moken "enjoy your day's,and,remember your night's" "the only EASYDAYwasYESTERDAY" MOVE or DIE S Y O T W somewhere
zenkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:44   #2

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC
Re: hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkayaker View Post
HELLO !!! I am a new forum member as well as the "new" owner of a 1970 MORGAN 28[shallowdraft]boat,which I have christened "the MOKEN",she is a work in progress,after 3 days of "trashing",pretty near everything,from sails[rotten&rat gnawed] to clorox bottles[can ya drink that stuff],about 20 of them.the boat was "on the hook",for bout 6yr's and has a lot of lil probs -none that I cannot repair/replace,however on a retired budget ,it will be a LONG process.it appear's to have been sunk 1 or 2 times hear in Oriental nc.AS a "re-hab sailor I am starting at the waterline and working on the interior,untill spring/summer and then will beach her for a hull survey/scraping repair painting[whew] once that is accomplished,I will work on sails and rigging.the motor was removed at some point and a "freakin wire nightmare" lives in that space,the fuel tank is inplace& the battery&bilge pump works[thank you]!!! I will be asking scads of questions[try NOT to laugh] I used to build "glass"boats in fla in the 70's [victoria yaghts] in benson junction-debary ].but now live in Oriental nc [marker 182 on the ICW].thanks for reading pic's will follow later 1moken "enjoy your day's,and,remember your night's" "the only EASYDAYwasYESTERDAY" MOVE or DIE S Y O T W somewhere
Welcome to CF!

This is the place to learn and have people help you "untangle" that wire mess that lives where your engine used to!

John
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:50   #3

thanks john !!!! I am hoping to use this forum;instead of DRUG'S & whiskey lo l!!!!! it is really not that bad,and re-building a boat -is a labor of love-and then ya do it again!!!!! I will never be a world cruiser however I hope one day to be a competent "ditch-sailor" lol thanks for the welcome later zenkayaker capt'n of "the MOKEN
Old 29-02-2012, 18:37   #4

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Welcome zenkayaker! I like your spirit. I look forward to your questions and contributions. I even know a little, a year into my first boat. I give back the little I can when I can. I remember NC. Pamlico Sound is a wonderful wildlife sanctuary and cruising grounds, however shallow. Hope I get there some day. Good luck on your boat project.
Old 29-02-2012, 19:00   #5

hello and thanks speakeasy !!!! and to you I say : "we'll leave the sound open for you", lol I will try not to "bore " anyone - - beyond what they can endure[promice NO SINGING] later zenkayaker&capt'n of the MOKEN
Old 29-02-2012, 20:04   #6

Hi zenkayaker! You sound like you will fit right in at CF with all your boat projects (isn't every boat a work in progress?) hope you enjoy it!!
Attached Images

Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 20:25   #7

thanks sailor g !!!! and yes they are!!!! and I am sure that I will "amuse" someone most of the time later zenkayaker &capt'n ot the MOKEN
Old 18-03-2012, 12:07   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Hello

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Just getting her cleaned up is a big step. Let us know what you're working on if you need support.
Probe the base of all your bulkheads for dry rot once you get the boat dried out and if you don't find any you have an easy restoration. "This Old Boat" might be something you'd be interested in reading.
kind regards,

Tags
morgan