Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 02:09   #1

Boat: none.... lookng
Hello, Introduction from New South Wales

My inland home, I part own, is on the market and I am going to get a live aboard sail boat (coastal cruiser) as my new home. Around 31 to 35 feet, still looking.

I live solo, am a media artist, photographer and writer, mainly poetry. I will take a black and white darkroom with a Fujimoto 4x5 enlarger with me using daylight tubes and tanks. I also work with colour digital.

After learning to sail, I'll start with the NSW coast. So hello, Chris Jones.
Christopher C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:16   #3

Boat: Leopard 40
Great to have you on board. Welcome to CF.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 17:30   #4

Boat: No boat, looking again.
HI Chris. Sailing darkroom hey. I used to do black 'n white stuff in my younger days. Awesome fun. Bit tricky as I moved around but got used to setting up temp darkrooms. All the best with it.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 11:38   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I think your idea is great.
kind regards,
Old 28-01-2011, 13:31   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Chris,
Welcome and good luck with the new direction. You've picked a great place to start - enjoy.
JOHN
Old 28-01-2011, 14:58   #7

Boat: Traditional 30
gday Chris. What part of NSW are you in?
What sort of boat are you looking at, Fg, steel etc?

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 21:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher C J View Post
My inland home, I part own, is on the market and I am going to get a live aboard sail boat (coastal cruiser) as my new home. Around 31 to 35 feet, still looking.

I live solo, am a media artist, photographer and writer, mainly poetry. I will take a black and white darkroom with a Fujimoto 4x5 enlarger with me using daylight tubes and tanks. I also work with colour digital.

chris
Welcome aboard, I just had a conversation with a friend about developing film and we couldn't think of anybody we knew who still developed film. Its nice to see there are still people like you out there. Good luck to you. I'd imagine a dark room on board will be challenging, how will you avoid spills?

ShaunJ
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 02:01   #9

Thanks for the wonderful welcome. I did a longer reply but it hasn't made it through, yet. (Internet forums I find confusing, will rewrite if need be.)
Old 29-01-2011, 04:16   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah - I remember my boyfriend in sixth form showing me how to use the dark room tucked behind the physics lab....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 13:29   #11

Darkroom on a boat

I'd imagine a dark room on board will be challenging, how will you avoid spills?

ShaunJ[/QUOTE]

I'll use daylight drums for the RC (plastic) proofs and get a printer to do the exhibition or edition prints. The size of enlarger is a little daunting, like it needs six feet and I'll sit on the floor.

I am looking at both fg and steel, but with a reduced budget and currently live in Narrabri.
Old 29-01-2011, 15:37   #12

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
I'd imagine a dark room on board will be challenging, how will you avoid spills?

ShaunJ

I'll use daylight drums for the RC (plastic) proofs and get a printer to do the exhibition or edition prints. The size of enlarger is a little daunting, like it needs six feet and I'll sit on the floor.

I am looking at both fg and steel, but with a reduced budget and currently live in Narrabri.[/QUOTE]

Good old Narrabri, I spent my younger years up there and we owned a business in the town for many many years. great town, its one of the very few country towns I could move to (if I had to give up the coast that is).

Where are you planning on getting lessons etc?

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 19:42   #13

Good old Narrabri, I spent my younger years up there and we owned a business in the town for many many years. great town, its one of the very few country towns I could move to (if I had to give up the coast that is).

Where are you planning on getting lessons etc?

Cheers
Oz[/QUOTE]
I was born and went to school in Narrabri, living on a farm, after which I lived on the coast, until medical retirement got me back here for 10 years.

As for getting lessons, it would be great if I can get a boat moored at Pittwater for around 3 months. Otherwise, Lake Macquarie. But I need the boat first so spend hours looking at a computer screen. An early 80s Adams 31 looks good and within budget. An early 80s Adams 35, steel, looks good but.... solo and rust? Basically, I'd like to deal with a broker who can access these needs.
Old 29-01-2011, 21:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
chris
Welcome aboard, I just had a conversation with a friend about developing film and we couldn't think of anybody we knew who still developed film. Its nice to see there are still people like you out there. Good luck to you. I'd imagine a dark room on board will be challenging, how will you avoid spills?

ShaunJ
(I may have said this already?)

Digital cannot match the dynamic range of black and white film, nor can it match pro level medium and large format films, yet, as well. So a lot of artists have grabbed the very cheap, very top end pro cameras and have gone back to film. Even if it just a photo for a painting. Black and white is also one of the most difficult art media to work with so is still current. (The cost of prints is generally high, but the art market is now depressingly flat.)
Old 29-01-2011, 22:10   #15

Boat: 50 ft Roberts Ketch
Send a message via MSN to isy43
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

Quote:

Hi Chris it's Isabell in Brisbane , just so happens ive got my 37ft Prout Snowgoose Elite for sale.... my add & number are on YachtHub if your interested.
Isabell
isy43 is offline   Reply With Quote