Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 12:30   #1

Hello from up-state New York

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I retired and moved from the rat-race that is Long Island to the bucolic Finger Lakes Region of NYS. My first sailboat was a C&C 27. Sold it on a whim to an older couple who fell in love with it in the boat yard as I was prepping it for the new season. I got a great price for her but still miss her years later. Next purchased an O'Day Mariner keel version, and just this past Autumn purchased a strange little craft known as a Saroca.( I know, I'm supposed to be trading up, not down) All of 16 ft overall, it is supposed to be good for SAiling, ROwing and CAnoeing. Came with a 18' stick, boom and crispy North sail, a pair of oars and a pair of paddles. Also included was a nice little trailer in great shape. I am looking forward to trying it out on the many lakes around here. Lake sailing in a non-keel boat will be a new experience for me. This looks to be a wonderful site and resource, and I am glad I found it.
Gary
boomvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 14:39   #2

Hi boomvang and welcome to the site. People really do seem to get attached to their C&C's, they were great boats.
Where are you on the finger lakes? Back in my auto racing days we used to venture down to Watkins Glen a couple times a year, great track, lovely area and met a lot of of really nice folks.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 14:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Lake sailing in a non-keel boat will be a new experience for me.
Hey, sailing is mostly about showing up - often! I grew up on the Finger Lakes but never sailed there. Enjoy sailing as much as you can. We have many current and former small boat sailors here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 14:56   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Gary
Quote:
I retired and moved from the rat-race that is Long Island
I still live in the rat-race (Port Jefferson area).
Welcome to the site.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 15:38   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gary,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. I'd like to here how your Saroca sails.
Our club has a bunch of Sunfish, Hobies and an FJ plus some bigger boats so I enjoy sailing them all.
kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 15:40   #6

Thank you for the warm welcome. I do miss the bay and ocean, and would love to have the opportunity to own a larger keel boat again. Pompey,the town we have settled in is quite beautiful and not far from a number of small lakes and only 45 min from Ontario. We will see.
Old 11-01-2008, 17:10   #7

Boat: '99 Hunter 240 "Anitabreak II"
Hi Gary
Welcome!!
I sail on beautiful Seneca Lake come on over sometime this summer and join us at the Seneca Lake Yacht Club!
BTW....our club is hosting the Western Hemisphere Star Championships in May! Should be exciting.
Anita
Anitabreak II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 18:19   #8

Thank you, Anita. I will do that. I would love to get in some Finger Lake sailing!
Old 07-08-2008, 18:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Just a quick note to introduce myself. I retired and moved from the rat-race that is Long Island to the bucolic Finger Lakes Region of NYS. My first sailboat was a C&C 27. Sold it on a whim to an older couple who fell in love with it in the boat yard as I was prepping it for the new season. I got a great price for her but still miss her years later. Next purchased an O'Day Mariner keel version, and just this past Autumn purchased a strange little craft known as a Saroca.( I know, I'm supposed to be trading up, not down) All of 16 ft overall, it is supposed to be good for SAiling, ROwing and CAnoeing. Came with a 18' stick, boom and crispy North sail, a pair of oars and a pair of paddles. Also included was a nice little trailer in great shape. I am looking forward to trying it out on the many lakes around here. Lake sailing in a non-keel boat will be a new experience for me. This looks to be a wonderful site and resource, and I am glad I found it.
Gary

HELLO Gary,

Do you like your Saroca? Have you crossed paths with anyone desiring a Saroca? I am looking around to find a website to sell one.
Tell me, how did you come across the one you bought?
Mine's been in garage for 15 years. A great FUN boat to sail, but I do not have a trailer nor a place on any waterfront to store it. I am moving to smaller place, so need to sell.

Were you on the classifieds here, or just where?

Best maybe to send a PM. Or I'll try to come back here soon. I have sailing rig, rowing gear, outboard motor bracket, cockpit covers, almost the works. Never had boat in salt water!

THANKS, George no-engine
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york

« Intro | Howdy »