Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-06-2010, 00:20   #1

Hello, from the Windward Islands !

New to the forum !! A question to all intrested ? Would you be intrested in chartering a boat out from Barbados... Why and why not.. We have'nt a decent set up here for long charters bare boat or crewed. Mostly because were a tough windward beat east. No real docks or marina either but that's the romance of it all.. Still the run to St. Vincent though a bit rolly is exciting and after a night on the water your in there.. Granada, The Granadines, Dominica, ect. All nearly 10 N.M. distance from the next.

So why not !! The airport is packed out but our moorings are lonely... I ask all the old Salties and no one seems to know why we dont charter out to the rest of the Islands.. Were to far away from all the action is the over all concensus... an that easterly never lets up.

Would love to hear some replys...

Old 27-06-2010, 01:47   #2

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
There are some advantages about Barbados: they make good Rum (Mount Gay) and the island has a nice international airport.
We didn't like the island itself; for us it was over developed. Same for the beaches and so on: too busy (disadvantage of the international airport is that it attracts too many landlubbers). If the price is right and the charter company wouldn't object to crossing over to SVG I guess it would be a good place to charter; it would save the hassle of flying to St. Vincent; you could sail over.

Eric

Old 28-06-2010, 01:43   #3

Thanks Eric, You should take a little trip over to the east coast next time your over.. It's like going back in time. Never consided Barbados to be built up... In saying that
every week a new Hotel is being built or a multiplex condo.. We were just saying the other day that soon you wont be able to see the sea from any roadway..Kinda of a shame but thats progress for ye.
Old 28-06-2010, 05:21   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, wingonwing, and welcome!

We visited almost every island in the eastern Caribbean during our two years of cruising here, but never made it over to Barbados. There were just too many other lovely spots to visit that didn't require the long beat that takes to get there.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I would wonder how realistic your chartering plan could be considering the fact that either the charterers would have to end their week or two with an 80-100 nm bash, or you'd have to hire a delivery crew to do it. What would that take, maybe 12-16 hours, depending on conditions? Not a way I'd like to end my charter, I'm afraid.
Old 28-06-2010, 15:44   #5

I know it, such a shame it's the over all concensus I'm afraid the beat eastward and the current allways abeam makes the trip back a brutal sail. We were thinking of actually having the boats return to Granada. It's cheaper to have the boats registered there anyway.. Still it's a drop in a bucket of an Idea.

A good mate of mine is actually selling off his 24's he started a little day chartering company over here and it just did'nt pan out. Not to mention all the damage that was done to his boats. It's a common discussion around the bar. All these boats sitting Idle in front of the Yacht club. We just wish we could find a way for the owners and ourselves to make them do a bit of work. An Irish fella drinks at my Bar is trying to set up an airline to compete with Liat he seems to be fairly close to getting the air space. Mentions fairs off less than 100 BBD to St.Vincent and the rest of the winwards. This could actually change the face of how we all operate over here. It could open up the whole show. God bless the Irish and I wish the man luck !! (I hope he does'nt end up M.I.A. somewhere for trying to dismantle the Islands cash cow operation and their insane rates for travel) If you see it pasted all over the internet Charters available from Barbados air fare included you'll know he made it happen...
Old 28-06-2010, 16:25   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Any competition to LIAT would be well-supported by Caribbean travelers, I think. Best of luck to your Irish friend.
Old 30-06-2010, 11:06   #7

Thanks Hud

Your too right, any competition would be good. I often feel sorry for the Cricket Supporters the most, they do so much for our economy on the Islands
yet they get burned on the Local Air Fares after coming such a long way to get out here. Thanks for the welcome & for having us on the Forum..
Old 05-07-2010, 17:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here. Our town is 100 nm or more from any other port or anchorage so I kind of know how you feel. Getting to Hilo from any other local port is an upwind slog through a pretty nasty channel. Most often a beat into 25 k winds and predominant current. No one wants to do it for fun.
regards,
Old 08-07-2010, 19:48   #9

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Any competition to LIAT would be well-supported by Caribbean travelers, I think. Best of luck to your Irish friend.
Oh how I wish LIAT would up and die......Although by comparison they make many of the inept governments found in some parts look downright functional in comparison.
Old 08-07-2010, 20:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We enjoyed Barbados on Exit Only at the end of our trans-Atlantic crossing. I would consider daysailing around Barbados, but I would not want it to be my base of operations to which I would have to return after sailing to Bequi, St. Vincent or the Grenadines. The beat back to Barbados can be really tough, and that is not the best way to end a charter.

You could run a charter operation out of Barbados if the charters left the boat in Bequia or the Grenadines, and then you sailed it back to Barbados. That could be very popular as it would give charters the feel of some offshore down wind sailing from Barbados to points west.

I would not want to be the one who had to sail the boat back to Barbados every week.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:04   #11

Honestly it's a lovely Spinaker run to Granada bit of current to account for but all in all an enjoyable sail. Thanks for all the feedback. Funny I was on the phone a few days ago to a Fellow from N.C. I was enquireing about an E 39 he told us a lovely story of how he landed in Barbados after Crossing the Atlantic on Christmas Day back in the 70's a bit of Romance in there as well something to do with a woman who was single-handleing through the Carribien. I then got a full account of how to Rig a 365 Pearson Ketch not a bad conversation sadly the Ericson had been sold. I've been trying to Purchase an E 39 for about two years now. 1 out of two people I've spoken to have been to Barbados and allways have a good story to tell. Half the fun of buying a boat besides my phone bill are the people you talk to in the search. Well I found a 39 in Oregon and as soon as we get home I'm going to start chartering her. It might take a while... We have a place in Granada to return the boat to. So yes it could be viable. I'll have to fly back and forth a bit till we get a few boats on rotation but Barbados should have an option for people wanting to charter out bare boat. If we can get a few more owners on board it just might take off. Theres talk around the Yacht Club of a new Marina in the pipeline as well... Wrong party in office at the moment though they kinda turned a blind eye to tourist development. As for the local yachting community.. well we finally have the Sea Scouts on board. In general theres very little support. The BSA has been split and divided into so many fractions at this stage your as well not to get involved. We'll have to set this thing up independently.
Old 21-01-2011, 09:57   #12

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingonwing View Post
An Irish fella drinks at my Bar is trying to set up an airline to compete with Liat he seems to be fairly close to getting the air space.
Hope he succeeds. Liat's prices are one thing, but I mostly wish for an airline that would bring my luggage at the same time as me...

Tags
Windward Islands

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: