Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2011, 18:09   #1

Boat: Jury Rigged Life Jacket
Hello from the Rocky Mountains !

Hi there!
The name is Matt, go figure. Relatively new to the sport of sailing and looking for a good community to settle in to. I'm from Franktown, Colorado (if you don't know where that is, even if you live in Colorado don't worry, it's tiny) and will be spending most of my time next year running around the country in a giant biergarten event truck. Looking forward to that, as I'll be spending a lot of time on the east coast and New England and will have a chance to visit some of the shipwrights and harbors.

So I'll start with the basics. I've got some experience, no schools, but a general grasp of the theory and art of sailing. I've spent a lot of my time getting ready for that first day back on the water; burying myself in books, refreshing my jargon and marlinspike seamanship (I still remember a lot from my Navy days...), and diluding myself in seemingly endless daydreams of the distant shores that await my arrival.

So this is where my journey has lead me. I'm stuck between spending a little bit of cash on an old O'Day Daysailer or getting what I want, a Bluewater Blackwatch. Each has their pros and cons, but my main concern is my ability to handle something around 20' versus 16'. Not much difference, but two very different vessels. Should I just find some locals to get back onboard and start with feet first and then buy a Blackwatch or should I just get started right away with a Daysailer and work myself into a Blackwatch?

My main concern is not having enough experience at the helm and running my investment aground. A crushing blow to both the spirit and the wallet. My other concern is the fact that I'm a tinkerer. If I get a Daysailer, I know I'm going to start tearing into it to make it closer to what I want, even if I know it's a simple boat and would be better off buying something closer to what I like, such as the Blackwatch.

Any advice, suggestions or wisdom that can be bestowed upon me would be appreciated. Any locals willing to teach a new sailer the lines would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,
-Matt Arian
Old 26-10-2011, 18:19   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Hello from the Rocky Mountains!

I don't think much of O'Day Daysailors. They can be capsized, but are extremely difficult to self-rescue, especially the older models. There are boats of similar size and trailerability that have corrected this problem.

Never settle for an inherently flawed design.
Old 26-10-2011, 18:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Never settle for an inherently flawed design.
That is a term I am all too familiar with. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 26-10-2011, 18:28   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Hi Matt I am very new to this site, but welcome. I spent about 15 years in WheatRidge just west of Denver. Trying to remember if I've been through Franktown, I think so. Trying to get into sailing so I'm not going to be much help to you but there is plenty of folks here that can. I miss Colorado. A friend of mine has a Ranch outside of Walden. Used to hunt elk up there every year. Man I sure do love it up there. Sam
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 18:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Hi Matt I am very new to this site, but welcome. I spent about 15 years in WheatRidge just west of Denver. Trying to remember if I've been through Franktown, I think so. Trying to get into sailing so I'm not going to be much help to you but there is plenty of folks here that can. I miss Colorado. A friend of mine has a Ranch outside of Walden. Used to hunt elk up there every year. Man I sure do love it up there. Sam
Thanks for the greet!

Oh, I know where Wheatridge is. I used to go to school in Broomfield for aviation. Franktown is south of Parker, which is south of Aurora which is east of Denver (confused yet?).

I do love it here, lots of memories and lots of good times. But since I've been here since 1990 it's hard to see the development overwhelming the fields and forests that I used to run through as a kid. So, it's time cut loose and go explore the world outside of this magical little box. I figured, "What better way than with a boat!" Tried it with the Navy, but they stuck me in Fallon, Nevada. Total opposite of what I was going for when I enlisted. Ironic? I think so...
Old 26-10-2011, 19:33   #6

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arian View Post
Thanks for the greet!

Oh, I know where Wheatridge is. I used to go to school in Broomfield for aviation. Franktown is south of Parker, which is south of Aurora which is east of Denver (confused yet?).

I do love it here, lots of memories and lots of good times. But since I've been here since 1990 it's hard to see the development overwhelming the fields and forests that I used to run through as a kid. So, it's time cut loose and go explore the world outside of this magical little box. I figured, "What better way than with a boat!" Tried it with the Navy, but they stuck me in Fallon, Nevada. Total opposite of what I was going for when I enlisted. Ironic? I think so...
I know exactly where it is. I used to have a Coustom Iron Shop, did a lot of high end work in Parker. You can still get away from everything in Colorado. But that kind of life is not for everybody. If they don't have a Walmart down the street they can't handle it. You got to have some Mountain Man in you to be able to do it. Me, I love being away from all the city crap, but you got make a living too.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 20:05   #7

Boat: 1980 Laguna Windrose 25

Welcome from couple of mountain dwelling, newby sailors on the western slope. We lived in Broomfield/Westminster for many years, just south of Jeffco airport, where maybe you got your training?
svcrazyivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 20:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcrazyivan View Post
Welcome from couple of mountain dwelling, newby sailors on the western slope. We lived in Broomfield/Westminster for many years, just south of Jeffco airport, where maybe you got your training?
Wow, a lot more people chiming in from and around Colorado than I thought would... That is where I got my training from, actually.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:55   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Hello from the Rocky Mountains !

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Get something cheap and trailerable after you take a basic sailing course for hands on sailing with an instructor aboard.
Eventually you'll want to move up in size but a mass produced trailerable will always have a market if you keep it in good shape you can sell it in a couple years after you've sailed a bunch and made a few mistakes.
kind regards,
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08   #10

Thanks John! Yeah, I decided to start small, most sensible way to go in my opinion. Bought a hitch and towing setup for my Subaru anyway, so might as well put it to use!

Still looking at the O'Day DaySailer though. It may be prone to capsizing, but then again what 16ft centerboard boat isn't? Anyone have some thoughts on other small, trailerable boats less than 1,000lbs?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the Cf, Matt, and svcrazyivan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:22   #12
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you're going for something that tiny, then go for a beachcat.... they're way more fun, great for learning and building experience, and fine for longer expeditions so long as you pack everything in triple bin bags. Or proper waterproof bags, if you've got enough cash to spare after having bought a boat!

Welcome aboard, and have fun!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33   #13

I have considered a Cat, but I would like a cuddy cabin or something similar to hide away in as the weather here is as sporadic as a teenagers fashion sense. A nice thing about a small cat is you can beach them pretty easily, but that's one of the reason's I'm interested in a centerboarder, too. A little more effort to launch, but built in shelter is a must.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:39   #14

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

Find yourself a nice used West Wight Potter 19. It will come with a trailer. Boat and trailer combined will weigh about 1500 lbs plus gear. I had one..my first boat..had a blast.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Find yourself a nice used West Wight Potter 19. It will come with a trailer. Boat and trailer combined will weigh about 1500 lbs plus gear. I had one..my first boat..had a blast.
Wow... I actually really like that boat! A lot more interior space than the DS, plus a lot more modernized. Thanks!

Anyone else have any ideas?