Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 06:59   #1

Boat: None yet!
Hello from the landlocked Midwestern USA

I've been researching the cruising lifestyle for less than 4 weeks, but have already learned a lot reading posts on this forum. I decided today to register so that I can join in the fun!

Although I'm originally from coastal Southern California and spent 4 years in Rhode Island, I've lived most of the past 22 yr living in the center of the continent, far from the ocean and other large bodies of water.

Nevertheless, the cruising bug seems to have bit, and I'm thinking along the lines of a ten yr plan to get myself in position to cruise. During that time I would like to learn to sail, maybe on a Hobie Cat on some of the lakes within driving distance. If possible, I will buy my cruising sailboat (I'm leaning towards a catamaran) some years before so that I can sail her on shorter trips during vacation time.
LifeArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:15   #2

Boat: Leopard 46
Congrats on the plan!

I too am operating under a 10yr plan (we are currently 1 year into it) and it has been great! I had been dreaming/talking about cruising for years but I had only been a day sailor since my youth and my wife had only been with me a couple times and then kids came... needless to say ... last year I decided to actually stop talking about it and to start executing the dream! It has been great! We took the ASA Basic Keal Boat coarse together and that got the wife hooked! (She was very impressed by my ability to not be a back seat driver when she was at the helm ... who knew I had it in me?) We went cruising for 10 days in the BVI, just the two of us with an instructional skipper and that was a complete dream and if I hadn't had the bug before now I REALLY have it. We have booked two more cruising trips in the Med for 2009 ... the second one will include the kids. I just love it when a plan comes together ... and what a fun plan it is!
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 13:54   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Artist,
Welcome aboard! I wish you well on following your plan. You'll find a lot of likeminded folks here on the forum. I recommend the book Start Sailing Right! as one of best for just the basics written in easy to read language. It also is good for those who never learned the proper way to trim sails or tack and jibe.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 16:06   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Sailing a Hobie cat is a great way to learn to sail. Or any small boat that reacts to the wind instantly, for that matter. Having a plan is great! Hope you achieve your goals!