Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 05:49   #1

Hello from the keys... time for a boat!

Hello,

My name is Ben. I have a family of four and we are looking for a boat! My wife and I are 28 and 30 and our kids are 4 and 6. We have only a little sailing experience but are looking for a lot more!

I currently have a 23' center console fishing boat. We spend a lot of time out on the water and all have good sea legs. We are looking for a sailboat to cruise summers on and possibly eventually live on. We have viewed a few boats but would like some input from you guys!

We have been looking at mostly shoal draft monohulls... Beneteau, hunter, jenneau between 38-44' have been the favorites. We will mostly be cruising Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean. Possibly a trip up the east coast at some point. Currently no plans for any Atlantic or pacific crossings.

Our budget is about 100k and that leaves us a cushion for repairs but I would like to be in a boat that's pretty much ready to cruise for 100. Good rigging, sails, deck, thruhulls, recent bottom job n such.

I have watched all of sv Delos, most of la vagabonde, and some drake paragon and learned a lot from these.

I've also done a LOT of reading but I'd love to hear your opinions/advice!?!?

TIA

Ben
Offshorespacesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:05   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Hello from the keys... time for a boat!

Look for a small day sailor to learn. Your kids will also learn a great deal
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34   #3

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome! A shallow draft for Florida & the Bahamas will do well.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This is where I pitch Hudson's Morgan OI 41.
Definitely cruise ready as they did continuously for years on it, and at a 4'3" draft it's less draft than anything I know of at that size. A Family fits nicely on it as they raised a family on it
The tough part is to find one that has been maintained and not let go. Theirs is a rarity in that it is in good shape, I think swallowing the anchor came as a surprise to them.
In the boats your looking at brand wise, I'd say 100 K will get you a decent boat, however it will not be "cruise ready". Now that is a tough to define term, but as 98% of boats are not cruised, not really, then 98% of boats are not "cruise ready", in my opinion.
To get one of those is way tougher, you either have to get a boat that has been cruised and just come off of a cruise, but be sure to get one that everything is not at the end of it's life, or you have to do like I have done, buy a boat that is not cruise ready and spend a couple of years and as much money as you paid for the thing, again to make it cruise ready.
I define cruise ready as lots of amenities, and nearly unlimited power and water.
That is not how others define cruise ready, so the term is a lot like "Blue Water". An undefinable term that means different things to different people.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:06   #5

I've looked at a couple oi 41s but they are usually in not too great of shape. I'd likely have to spend a good bit of time getting her ready. I know it's an awesome design for the area I'm going to be in. Also would like something more updated. I don't mind spending a little time n money getting her "cruise ready." But definitely not a couple years. I am the type of guy who will bust my butt 80-100hrs a week to get a project done instead of taking months at a slower pace. Kinda like on Delos how they replaced all the standing rigging on a 53' amel ketch in 5 days with 2 guys who had never done it before.

As for a day sailer... we have some close friends who have a 21 footer that we go out on once in a while. It's a lot of fun for sure! We already know how to sail tho (although we still have lots to learn) and I will be taking our new (to us) boat out on week+ trips trolling for mahi n such torwards the tortugas or the other way torwards the Bahamas while we are learning more and getting ready for longer cruises. I want a diesel motor and lots of sleeping room! Haha. Also could take a few friends out on these kinds of trips n have an awesome fishing/diving trip.

So a day sailer would not work well for these reasons.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Honestly, take a look and call them. I do think it fits your needs, and yes finding a good one is hard, but I think this is a good one, look at the engine etc.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-178784.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 17:15   #7

aythya does look well cared for and a cool story being documented well here on the forum. A good price for a well kept yacht too.

She just might be worth taking a look! Although it is hard for me to think about something 45yrs old. I also have been leaning torwards sloop rigs. Less parts to replace...
Old 06-03-2017, 18:44   #8

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshorespacesh View Post
aythya does look well cared for and a cool story being documented well here on the forum. A good price for a well kept yacht too.

She just might be worth taking a look! Although it is hard for me to think about something 45yrs old. I also have been leaning torwards sloop rigs. Less parts to replace...
When we were looking for our first real oceangoing boat a lot of friends made a lot of suggestions to look at certain boats. What we learned was to look at them and learn from them.

We looked at several brands. After reading a good deal we learned what attributes we were looking for in a boat.

When you find the right boat you will be unable to walk away from it for very long before making an offer.

My suggestion is to look at Aythya. It appears to be a boat that has been loved and kept up. It will, at the very least, provide a valuable benchmark when looking at other boats.

P.S. I wish I had time to tell you the miles we drove and frogs we kissed to find the boat we couldn't walk away from. Fun times really. I wish you well in your search.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ben.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02   #10

Ya I feel we are looking for something much more updated. I love the shallow draft, the beefier rudder setup, and the price! But I do not like the look, the age, and the sail ability. The interior is not anywhere near any of the boats we've been looking at.

I worry a little about the benes but that's all based on the shhh people talk on em and not on experience. It seems like the other 2 brands on my list (hunter and jenneau) are built to a higher standard. I guess whilelooking at benes, maybe sticking with only looking at Oceanis models would be a better bet. Steering away from Cyclades, firsts, and moorings....??

Tags
boat