Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-03-2006, 17:04   #1

Hello from the Desert

Hello everyone. Been reading this forum for a few weeks and decided to register and say hi. Currently living in Arizona and work in construction (Union Pipefitter).

Don't know how to sail and have never been on a boat longer than a few hours (funny considering I was in the US Navy for 3yrs)

Anyway, just my quick intro.

Old 16-03-2006, 17:25   #2

Another Voice In The Desert ...Responds!!!

Hello Peoria Arizona.

Phoenix Arizona here!! CaptainK's my name. "Welcome aboard!!"

Now I can chat with somebody closer to me. WOW!!

I once served in the US Navy too. 9 years!! Served it all on the east coast.!!

I have a 1973 Catalina 27. Tied up in Moss Landing, California. Plan on moving back out to California. I actually don't like Arizona. Too damn hot here in the summer!!

I used to turn wrenches for a living (auto mechanic). But in 2003 my body just said, "NO MORE!!" And I refuse to work outside in this state ever again. Talking about death walking all over you. That's how I felt every damn day!! It sucks!!

Anyway. It's good to see another Arizonian here on this forum. And feel free to chat anytime. Ya got questions. I'll try to answer any one ya got? This forum has been very helpful with answering some of my many questions.

Welcome aboard Belisarius!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 18:16   #3

Yes the Arizona sun can, at times, be brutal. I really wonder why so many people want to move here

Boy, do I have questions!

What do SV and SY mean? I'm guessing that they mean Sailing Vessel and Sailing Yacht, but I don't really know. If so what is the distinction between the two?

I like the idea of cruising but not sure if I'd like the reality, any suggestions on finding out? I'd hate to spend a few thousand on the ASA courses and be miserable. Any place in AZ that I could get some time on a sailing vessel? I assume that lake sailing is different than ocean sailing, but don't know.

Any skills that could be learned/practiced on land that would come in handy onboard? Knots, splices,bends and sheets come to my (uneducated) mind. But, what else (if anything)
Old 16-03-2006, 18:19   #4

To answer your question.

SV = Sailing Vessel

SY = Sailing Yacht

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 16-03-2006, 18:22   #5

You could start with this.

I'll see what I could cook up for ya.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant

Old 16-03-2006, 18:32   #6

Link

Here's a link that is ASA associated, in the Phoenix metro area.

Here's the link: http://www.tresaquas.com

Good Luck!!

Old 16-03-2006, 18:46   #7

Good stuff! Thanks Cap'n
Old 16-03-2006, 19:01   #8

Anytime my man. Any time!!

Old 16-03-2006, 23:06   #9
Kai Nui

Welcome Belisarius. Regarding your question about SY and SV. Technically speaking, A sailing vessel is one characterized as a commercial sailing vessel, while a sailing yacht is strictly recreational. This being said, the terms have been commonly misused for so long, they have become interchangable.
Old 17-03-2006, 08:51   #10

Boat: Now Boatless
I guess CaptainK, Belisarius and I can represent the ex-Navy desert rat demographic on this forum... I currently live in Tucson until we can sell up & go to the boat full time.

A new 'Rat Pack' is born.....

I second the idea of Lake Pleasant as a good place to start out. Last time I was there I noticed a few good, solid cruising boats at the docks. Plus the lake is big enough to make it worth the effort.

Old 17-03-2006, 14:53   #11

Rat pack!!!

I like the sound of that!!

Old 18-03-2006, 14:59   #12
Bob Norson

what is it about the desert??

Is it the time you find a big clump of jumping cactus on your ankle that you decide... I wanna go sailing!? Or is it the day in August when it hits 115 degrees? What is it??

You know what they say about "RATS" and sinking ships.... You guys are running late, the other rats have already sailed Lake Pleasant and found it good and then left. Join up with the rest but now you have to go to Airlie Beach Australia where a lot of ex phoenix area sailors now live.

I remember Peoria when it was just a little west side farm town, probably much different now.

Careful Belisarius, this could be that little nudge that pushes you over the edge and turns you into another wretched sailor.

Welcome!

Cheers

Bob Norson
Old 18-04-2006, 21:58   #13

Boy I'd love to sail to Australia. Wait gotta learn how to sail then I'll need a boat I guess. Hmmm. Maybe in a few years.
Old 18-04-2006, 22:30   #14

Yeah B.

Me and you could sail down to OZ and check out Airlie Beach. My kinda of place!!!

Old 19-04-2006, 17:49   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Belisarius,

Welcome aboard. I guess wanting to sail is where you start. Maybe doing some would be better than learning how for a first shot. You need to just get on board and do some with people that know how already. You'll learn more than anything else at this point. Sometimes the idea of doing something is better than really doing it (you could hate it). Other times it is better when you do it than just think about it (you'll know).

So on the positive side you might like sailing even more than you already think you do if you could just do some. At that point you could get more serious with money, time, and details.

There certainly is a lot of ways to enjoy sailing and it all isn't all about long ocean crossings either. You need to try some to find the type that suits your desires, budget, and lifestyle. It really is all about having fun more than anything. You'll find a lot of folks here that think that.

FWIW, I started small lake sailing and I'ld still do it if I were at a lake and could get on a boat.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: