Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 14:19   #1

Hello from the Central Coast of California

Hello everyone, or should I say “Ahoy” (sorry I just couldn’t help myself)
I live on the central coast of California and have been boating, fishing and loving the ocean since I can remember. I came across this site looking for advice on finding and refurbishing a 24’-28’ cruiser for overnight trips to the islands.
I’ll cruse on over to the Construction, Maintenance & Refit forum to see what kind of advice I can get.

jimmyN
jimmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 17:27   #2

Boat: Fairwinds 30
hi

Welcome. I am new to this site myself. I just purchased an abandoned, almost gutted out 27' sloop. I am going to completely restore her. Pics on my photo page. I am sure there are many more experienced sailors on here ( I am not very experienced at sailing), but I am very good at finding deals and fixing stuff. If you want input from me, let me know.
Old 01-01-2011, 17:57   #3
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyn View Post

Hello everyone, or should I say “Ahoy” (sorry I just couldn’t help myself)
I live on the central coast of California and have been boating, fishing and loving the ocean since I can remember. I came across this site looking for advice on finding and refurbishing a 24’-28’ cruiser for overnight trips to the islands.
I’ll cruse on over to the Construction, Maintenance & Refit forum to see what kind of advice I can get.

jimmyN
Welcome.

When you say "Central Coast" and then "overnight to the islands" where exactly do you mean? There's a huge difference between hopping over from Channel Islands harbor or even Santa Barbara (where we are) and dropping down from Morro Bay.

If you're down in Ventura or Channel Islands harbor, just close your eyes, point at random, then open them. Odds are you'll be pointing at something for sale that suits you. We went with a Catalina 30 after a lot of research because it offered the most for the dollar. Ventura is funny because they don't allow "for sale" signs, so they've adopted the convention of flying a yellow happy face flag to indicate a boat for sale. We bought ours out of Channel Islands harbor (I was working in the harbor at the time), and it was one of eight of her sisters for sale in CI alone.

What's your price range? I rather make a hobby out of looking at boats, and have been keeping an eye on a couple that I like.

Josh
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 19:03   #4

I live in Solvang, 35mi, over the hill from Santa Barbara. I plan on trailering so I can drop in at C.I. S.B or Morro bay. I hope to find something in the 10k range and put 15 or 20 in her.
jimmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:45   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,

Tags
california