Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2009, 05:45   #1

Boat: Long Tail, 32ft,
Hello From Thailand

Hello All,

Just a quick Hello to all of the sailors out there. I've been a long time live aboard in the Pacific North West, but have been living here in Thailand for the last year. I don't have a sail boat yet, but there has to be one in the near future. I do however have a Thai longtail boat that I use regularly to explore the southern islands. Anyhow, I have plenty of questions for the group out there, and I hope I can also be of some service to others.

Nice to be here,

Jerry
Chao Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:18   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Hey Jerry, another Jerry here. 30' Catalina here and access to a P 36' Sail our of Wilmington CA. (Los Angeles) Plan to do some Sailing off Yaku Island, Southern Japan where my wifes parents live. How did you end up in Thailand? I suspect a woman.
Anjinsan
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:28   #3

Good Guess Jerry, but I'm one of the few who brought mine with me. I ended up here, as I was looking for a place to be a professional beach bum. Almost there, but I still have to work for a living. I was raised in South East Asia, so this was kind of a home coming for me. No Sailboat here yet, but I have been seriously looking. I've found a few nice ones, but I'm trying to be patient and wait until I find "the one" that actually fits in my price range. Thanks for the welcome
Old 20-01-2009, 06:37   #4

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Lots of good ones here in Southern California that can be bought for almost the cost of getting them out of the ship yard. A friend of mine bought his P36 for $10K...worth 5 times that. Seems people are unloading their toys to buy food. What part of South East Asia did you grow up in? I had a little government job in VN back in the 60's. Became fond of the place...Ah, took your own woman with you..good for you. I found my 1st mate on the Internet. Half my age and loves to Sail.
life is good.
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hello
I'd like to know more about your long tailed boat....is this like the ones with the car engine with a handle on one end and a long shaft with prop on the other mounted on a swivel.
Any pictures?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 07:00   #6

Hello James,

Yes, it is a traditional long tail with a Toyota turbo diesel engine on a pivot. I'll try to upload a picture we took last week near the house. Mine is a little different than some of the locals as I actually have bilge pumps that don't require a scared sailor to operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1570.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	6840  
Old 20-01-2009, 07:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
That’s so cool.
What’s the length...beam?
Do you camp/weekend on it?
Besides your pump what other "systems do they normally have...running lights?...nav stuff....ground tackle??
I need to know more ...what’s one of those in good shape go for??
Does it stay in the water…on a hook?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 13:30   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi Jerry!

We are cruising your way and will be in Thailand at the end of this year! (all going well).

It sounds like an exciting place and the area you are in must be beautiful.

I have been through Bangkok a few times but understand the rest is different (better?)

We don't really get to start researching yet as we still have a way to go before hand. But if you hear of an excellent boat repair facility that does beautiful, but economic, work with timber etc please note the name down. We are looking at doing some interior cabinet work etc.

There are so many cruising places there we are quite excited

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 16:20   #9

James,

These boats are about as basic as you can get. I guess you could call the running light the flash light we use when we run forward to look for fishing nets ahead. We use a small flashing red LED flashlight for an anchor light. The boat sits on a mooring in front of my house, and dries out during low tide. We haven't been camping yet, but plan to do so in a few weeks. We just finished rebuilding it (calking, new decks, floorboards, awning etc..). Fun, but a lot of work to operate in anything over a 1 foot chop, and not the most seaworthy vessel I've ever owned. But you can pick them up for anywhere around 2-4k, and they fit the bill when you want to check out the mangroves, or just pull up to the beach.
Old 20-01-2009, 16:29   #10

Mark,

You guys are going to love Thailand. Stay away from Bangkok, yeck! I don't have very much experience with the north, but I love it down south. I have dozens of beautiful islands, beaches, and caves within 10 to 45 minutes of my house. We have moorage facilities just off the pier in town, with a British Guy named Graeme offering cruiser services. The people are great, and you can get almost everything you need in country. As far as getting work done, I guess it all depends on your quality expectations. You can hire local laborers for as little as $8-10 a day, but if you want real shipwright style work done, the prices are probably not going to be very cheap. Most of the skilled boat work is done over in Phuket. Write again when you get closer, and I'll help you out if I can.

Jerry
Old 20-01-2009, 22:57   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Sa Wa Dee krap Chao Lea. Sa bai dee rue? Chan chue Martin. Pood pa sa Thai nid noi.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 05:41   #12

Thailand certainly has some beautiful places to sail. Phi Phi islands and "James Bond" islands come to mind although that is just one little area off of Phuket and there is much beauty in Thailand. We get to that area every other year or so and plan to spend next Christmas in Saigon with the inlaws, then head for Bangkok and Jompthien. The Thais are about as hospitable as you could find.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 08:38   #13

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Hi Jerry,

It looks like we are practically neighbors as I am rebuilding my cat in the Boat Lagoon on Phuket. Hope to see you on the water someday. Welcome to the forum!

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 03:57   #14

Sawade Krap Celestial Sailor, you've already reached the limits of my Thai. Wish I could speak more, but just haven't had the time to study yet. Problem is, everyone here speaks enough English for me to get by. I really need to start studying though. I would love to be able to talk to the local fishermen and hear some of their stories. I make it over to Boat Lagoon occasionally when I'm looking for boats. I'll look for a cat being rebuilt the next time I'm there.
Old 22-01-2009, 03:58   #15

Oops, I meant to reply to Mike at the end of the reply to Celestial Sailor. Anyhow, Mike, I'll look for your boat the next time I'm over there.

Tags
longtail, Thailand