Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2009, 10:51   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Hello from Texas

We have been going to Kemah and sailing on a friends 42 Cascade for awhile. We got the bug 4 years ago and the house finally sold. Our exit plan will be final in about 45 days. Divesting of all our landlubber belongings, we are so excited we can't stand it. Looking for boat 38-44.
Plan on hanging in Kemah area for awhile and then who knows. The horizion looks good.
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 13:17   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Howdy Whispering Star,
There are a few Texans here. 38-44 foot what? Do you want something that will go Blue water or just coastal?
Happy boat hunting,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 13:44   #3

Talking Both would be our choice

We have looked at 42 & 47 Vagabonds, 44 Lord Nelson, Hardins and probably everything inbetween. We want the best of both worlds, or as close as we can come to it. We have looked at fiberglass, steel, composite but not wood. If it sounds like we are undecided you would be right. But in reality we would like a solid bluewater boat with a shallow draft so our cruising area won't be to limited. I will say for now. Coastal cruising and then maybe a trip to the Carib. Maybe to other horizons later.
Old 13-06-2009, 13:54   #4

Boy, you two have great taste! I live aboard in kemah, if I see something I'll PM ya.
Erika

PS
Don't worry you didn't fall into the clutches of a broker, just love to look at boats so I'll keep an eye out for you guys.
Old 13-06-2009, 14:14   #5

Thank you, we do have a broker though, if we need her. But don't let me fool you these boats we have looked at are older and need a little or a lot of TLC.
I do want to buy down here (Gulfcoast) as the 42 Cascade, our friends boat, was shipped overland and my husband & I got her put together(as our friend had to work) and in the water and motored her to her boardwalk slip. Spent two weeks on the hard sanding, fixing, painting and all the other zillion things that needed to be done. So with that experience behind me, I think I would rather sail her into port. I am learning new things everyday. Life is good..
Old 13-06-2009, 17:27   #6

I just bought a fixer upper last November. I was torn between paying cash for a fixer upper or taking out a loan and buying something ready to go. I bought the fixer upper. My latest project is to replace the holding tank, right now the princess in me wishes I bought the already restored .
But some days are diamonds and some days are coal.

Erika
PS Glad to have another girl around here

"If I don't like it a little in port, I wont like it a lot offshore".
--me
Old 13-06-2009, 17:48   #7

Welcome Whispering Star,

I also just bought a boat in Seabrook and am working to get it offshore ready. I hope you find a good one. See you around the bay.

Brian
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 18:04   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome aboard Whispering Star,
Have you looked at the Valiants?
Old 13-06-2009, 20:42   #9

We have not looked at a Valaint yet, But I am sure I'll look them up online asap. We don't mind applying a little sweat equity into anything as my husband is one of those real handy guys. I think last time James was down there someone was trying to get a transmission out of a boat across the way, he just couldn't stand it and had to go see if he could get his hands dirty.
Ocean Girl: we should be down there in a week or so, On "Wind Walker" we plan to sail to Moody Gardens and stay on the hook for an evening and come back. Nice little trip I think. It is nice to know there are other girls out there. I will see you around the docks.
Raindog: Have fun with the upgrades and we will see you in the bay.
Old 13-06-2009, 22:10   #10

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Star View Post
We have looked at 42 & 47 Vagabonds, 44 Lord Nelson, Hardins and probably everything inbetween. We want the best of both worlds, or as close as we can come to it. We have looked at fiberglass, steel, composite but not wood. If it sounds like we are undecided you would be right. But in reality we would like a solid bluewater boat with a shallow draft so our cruising area won't be to limited. I will say for now. Coastal cruising and then maybe a trip to the Carib. Maybe to other horizons later.
Grettings whispering star.
Having looked at all those boats, let me steer you away from a pile of headache and pain.... Depending on your budget of course, you can find some real nice boats that won't need a ton of refiting and maintaince, but still look and sail real nice.
Take a look at Endeavours, the 40 or 42, Kelly Peterson 44, Morgan 38 (great off shore boat) CSY's, If your budget is bigger look at shannon's.
There a a lot of good boats out there that won't need a complete rebuild. I learned that while the vagabonds and tayanas had a look I was attracted to... that in the end they were not the right boat for us.
Once you get your boat come on down to Corpus Christi for a week or so. The marina here is half empty, and the sailing is good. Plus hurricanes seem to go more North towards Houstin Galveston area....

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 04:23   #11

Bobfnbw: We have looked at CSY's and Tartans the later in corpus. We also checked in to slip fees in corpus, found that the fees were over $500, we are looking for something around $300. If I am incorrect let me know. We are looking for live aboard comfort w/decent sailability (if that is a word). We also looked at Serendipity in Polasios (sp) a quieter marina. We really are more country than heavy traffic people.
Although this may change when we begin our life on the water.
Old 15-06-2009, 04:59   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Guys,
A big step and I know you'll enjoy the fun to come. Keep us all posted.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 15-06-2009, 05:50   #13

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Grettings whispering star.
Having looked at all those boats, let me steer you away from a pile of headache and pain.... Depending on your budget of course, you can find some real nice boats that won't need a ton of refiting and maintaince, but still look and sail real nice.
Take a look at Endeavours, the 40 or 42, Kelly Peterson 44, Morgan 38 (great off shore boat) CSY's, If your budget is bigger look at shannon's.
There a a lot of good boats out there that won't need a complete rebuild. I learned that while the vagabonds and tayanas had a look I was attracted to... that in the end they were not the right boat for us.
Once you get your boat come on down to Corpus Christi for a week or so. The marina here is half empty, and the sailing is good. Plus hurricanes seem to go more North towards Houstin Galveston area....

Bob
Bob, were you at the recent boat show? Did you see the 40-something-foot center-cockpit Irwin that was for sale and if so what was your opinion (other than overpriced)?
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 06:55   #14

Whispering Star,

My parents are in Palacios, they are retired cruisers or rather they retired from cruising I know senendipity well, it is very primitive and the docks could never take a big storm. The floating docks are actually homemade and could only handle about a 6 foot tidal surge. Also the cleat attachements are poor to say the least. I helped a cape dory 36 get ready for IKE and it was a nightmare, 18 hour of sweat, all the while knowing the piers couldn't take it, but the captain felt they had no where else to go. There are some fabulous turning basins that would be great for protection,though primitive in comfort. Mom might be able to find one for you but if a storm comes, out you go to make room for the shrimp fleet. Palacios is a great town very Bohemian with an incredible assortment of interesting people, artist and writers. The nearest wal-mart is a half an hour away . No Boat stores but the Ace hardware does have a primitive selection of stuff.
The approach (from offshore) is considered the most difficult in the gulf coast due to wild currents, prevailing winds, angle of the entrance, and the leeshore. Its not treacherous in any way normally but it would not make a good home port for offshore jumps. This is not a ploy to keep you in kemah Corpus I think the best place to have a boat but the marina is expensive, there was a 2 year waiting list? but bob says its half empty wow! what happend bob?

If you need any just write me, Happy boat hunting!
Erika

PS there is something said about being near a bunch of boats supply houses while getting the boat ready to cruise. A simple boat project could require multiple trips, I average 4
Old 15-06-2009, 07:10   #15

That's what I keep telling my husband

We had this very discussion last night. His point was that the shrimper were down there and there had to be local merchants. We spent 3-4 days down there last summer, and I didn't see any noteworhty supply stores. I will show him your comments, It might help in him seeing the benefits to a larger sailing community and sources.

Tags
texas