Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 12:24   #1

Hello from St. Petersburg, FL

Hello all. Newbie here and hoping to gain some valuable insight into the cruising style. Making strides to get my first sailboat (30ft-38ft range) in the next few months and looking for advice so I can put it all together. While I narrow down my type of boat, I'm stuck deciding what I need to put on the boat. I'm lost with all the information out there. Need some help. I want to do this as right as I can the first time out, so your experience will help. What should I be putting on the boat? I know that's a loaded question, but I need somewhere to start, even if it's just the categories or topics of things (i.e. First Aid, Spare Parts, Tools, Electrical, etc). I realize there are factors to each list that can be created due to what type of boat, where I sail, engine type, etc., but I'm sure there are commonalities to everything. Please help!
Nitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 12:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Hello from St. Petersburg, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
Hello all. Newbie here and hoping to gain some valuable insight into the cruising style. Making strides to get my first sailboat (30ft-38ft range) in the next few months and looking for advice so I can put it all together. While I narrow down my type of boat, I'm stuck deciding what I need to put on the boat. I'm lost with all the information out there. Need some help. I want to do this as right as I can the first time out, so your experience will help. What should I be putting on the boat? I know that's a loaded question, but I need somewhere to start, even if it's just the categories or topics of things (i.e. First Aid, Spare Parts, Tools, Electrical, etc). I realize there are factors to each list that can be created due to what type of boat, where I sail, engine type, etc., but I'm sure there are commonalities to everything. Please help!
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I expect to be looking for a boat in the Tampa Bay area this fall.

I also expect to be buying a condo in the area (man are prices cheap).

I don't want to side track this thread, so could you PM your thoughts of some of the St. Pete/Bradenton/Tampa neighborhoods? I am a aware of City-Data, but personal thoughts are appreciated.

Perhaps we can get together over a drink once I get down there.
Old 13-08-2011, 13:00   #3

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy

I live, currently at the St Petersburg Municipal Marina, been there for about a year now. gimme a holler, be back there in early Sept. Lots of boats to be had at good prices. Contact me, perhaps we gan go to Frescos.
Old 13-08-2011, 13:58   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 15:08   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Basic Start:
1- All the USCG required items (public information).
2- Ground tackle,- anchor(s) and rode
3- Dock lines 3-strand nylon, min.of 4 boat length & 4 1/2 boat length
4- Selected Navigation tools,- GPS, charts, compass, binoculars...
5- VHF radio
6- Spare fuel filters, oil, oil filters, belts, impeller, coolant
7- Packing for stuffing box and appropriate wrenches
8- Basic tools for fasteners, multi-meter, terminal connectors, wiring
9- Navigation bulb repacements
10- Sealants, bedding compound, lubricants, gasket compound
11- Hose clamps, wire ties, pipe joint tape, elec. tape, vinyl tape
12- Spare line from small stuff to ca 5/8"
This is a quick minimum list and more would be related to specific mechanics on board or type of cruising.
Old 13-08-2011, 15:51   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Do NOT sail around this area without two things: a depth finder and a GOOD chart. Don't make the "newbie" mistake I did. If you buy a fishing chart, it may not have latitude and longitude on it.

I would also say get at least a Garmin 441 chart plotter. Don't try to rely on a cheaper handheld one.

The Coast Guard auxiliary gives a great one night introduction to reading charts and I recommend that class highly.

Finally, don't laugh, but "Sailing for Dummies" is a great book for beginners. You CANNOT learn to sail from a book, but you can learn some things that will help you sail better, and especially, safer, from a book.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Do NOT sail around this area without two things: a depth finder and a GOOD chart. Don't make the "newbie" mistake I did. If you buy a fishing chart, it may not have latitude and longitude on it.

I would also say get at least a Garmin 441 chart plotter. Don't try to rely on a cheaper handheld one.

The Coast Guard auxiliary gives a great one night introduction to reading charts and I recommend that class highly.

Finally, don't laugh, but "Sailing for Dummies" is a great book for beginners. You CANNOT learn to sail from a book, but you can learn some things that will help you sail better, and especially, safer, from a book.
I am located in in Florida at Holmes Beach, on Anna Maria Island. Perhaps it would help you to see and/or sail on a 37 foot sail boat that has seen many sea miles. She has been raced, day sailed and cruised.

I have a 1984 Elite 37TM Custom that I purchased new in 1985. over the years, I have constantly upgraded her and she has many miles under her keel. I am going through yet another refit, but with most of the interior (cushions, doors, sole and headliner)' she can still be sailed.

In Tampa Bay, the iPad works very well as a gps chart plotter even without cell phone service. I use two chart plotting apps that are very inexpensive and the charts are upgraded automatically without any additional charges.

If you are interested, I can advise on how to upgrade the electrical charging system and significantly reduce the electrical usage. I also have gathered considerable information on a number of other boats. I have crewed, raced, sailed and delivered a number of other boats from 24 feet to 50 feet.

We have no refrigeration or ac. I have considered installing the Glacier Bay dc hvac and refrigeration system. At least an inverter is not required.

Recently, the rudder was rebuilt, the engine had a large service and the lpg system was upgraded. It might help you if you would like to take a sail on Mistral.

Mistral is light, fast and very close winded. She has great sails and is a very good light air sailer.

Let me know if you are interested in getting together.

Terry
Sailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:41   #8

It's a wide open question.. all good stuff above. I'll just add one part of the answer. You dont say if you will be cruising, living aboard or just using the boat occassionally. If living aboard/cruising, Refrigeration is a big question. If you are going to have refrigeration, and most do, then it cascades into a string of other required items. Everyone does it different, but the most common, basic setup would likely be:
  • a 75-100 amp alternator. This keeps you in the single belt setup for minimal cost without new engine pulleys etc.
  • a good regulator to drive the alternator.
  • two battery banks, one for start and one for the "house" needs. Some use two identical banks, some use one big bank and a starter battery. In general youre going to want at least 4 group 27-31 batteries.
  • A refrigerator unit to go in the ice box... hopefully your boat will come with at least this.
  • For basic cruising I would want one other device to charge with: Honda 2000i, a wind generator or solar panels.
You're probably into the $3500-$4500 range for the above if you do the work. You'll get a million opinions on how to do this, but my point is that refrigeration drives the need for a lot of battery replenishment schemes.

You need to make a list of what you can live with and without first. Try to get as much on the boat you buy as you can.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 10:33   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

It's really an open ended question and sooner or later you'll be asking what stuff can you TAKE OFF the boat. However, a manual for your engine would be nice and if you plan to single hand, I heartily recommend an autopilot of some flavor or another. In fact, for the size range of the boats that you are looking at you might notice that some have wheels (very big yacht looking) and some have tillers. I think you will find that the tiller autopilots are less expensive than wheel pilots.

I will also emphatically agree that in these waters a good depth finder is essential. If one is on the boat you decide to purchase you need to find out if the depth reading is from the surface to bottom or bottom of keel to bottom. It can make an embarrassing difference.

Others may disagree in detail but personally I would budget roughly 30% of the cost of your boat for repairs and upgrades. So if the boat cost $10K, I would budget roughly $3K for upgrading things like flares, dock lines, ground tackle, running rigging and so on plus fixing the things the previous owner let slide. Most boats that are for sale have usually let maintenance slide a bit (or a lot).

Have fun, looking for a new boat is always a good time even if you aren't in the market. It's why people go to boat shows and wander the docks.

Rich

PS - Edit: I keep my boat in Tarpon Springs
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 10:58   #10

Boat: 42ft navy admiral barge
Send a message via Skype™ to saltlife07

I am new to this forum. but I am a deckhand on an old 1965 navy admiral barge boat in the pasadena marina. gimme ring or text sometime 813.313.7686
saltlife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 18:59   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Yes on a first aid kit. Yes on a dodger and bimini. If you are going to make long passages get yourself a windvane steering system.
kind regards,
Old 14-10-2011, 18:42   #12

Boat: PEARSON 422

I never leave the dock without a tube of quick cure 5200 somewhere on the boat. You never know just where it might come in handy during an emergency.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Don't forget the "creature comforts". If you are spending time living aboard, you are not camping. You'll appreciate a good mattress, adequate ventilation - especially when it's raining, good shade & weather protection (our cockpit is our family room), showering & head facilities, and a good family car - don't skimp on the family car!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote