Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2009, 16:37   #1

Cool Hello from St. Augustine, Florida

Hi guys. Just joined. Lifetime boater, though a cruising novice. I recently purchased a 1972 Bristol 34 sloop that I am in the process of outfitting for the cruising life. I hope to sail to the Caribbean next year, and, eventually, across the Atlantic to Europe.

I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions, but I will be seeking much advice.

Cheers,

Doug
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 17:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Doug,

Welcome to cruisersforum. To use an old cliche, there are no dumb questions with one exception. Be sure to search old posts and threads before asking. If you do you might find your quesions already answered. If you don't search and ask an oft repeated question you will possibly hear from some of the sharper wits on the forum.

Seriously this forum is a great source of information. I've been sailing for 35 years and I have picked up more good information and advise on this forum in the last year than 10 years of hanging out at the dockside bar.

Are you going to base out of St Augustine? I'm in Gainesville and am looking for a place to keep a boat in this part of FL.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 17:31   #3

Thanks, skipmac.

Well, I moved to St. Augustine two years ago to find a boat. I guess you could say that I am, for now, based in St. Augustine. Insomuch as I suppose I need to be based somewhere.

It's a great place to keep a boat. So yeah, I'd definitely advise you to check it out, if you haven't already. If you need any help over here, let me know.
Old 31-01-2009, 17:48   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Doug,
Welcome aboard! I love dumb questions because then I get to give stupid answers. Something I can handle.
Just kidding. We've all been new to sailing at one time or another and sometimes the only way to learn is to ask a question. I'll never consider it dumb to ask a question.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 17:56   #5

Thanks, SkiprJohn. I appreciate your kind words. I'm not really new to sailing per se.

As I said, I've been a boater all of my life (got my first little skiff when I was about 8). But most of my experience has been with power boats. I had a few daysailers growing up, and then later had an Oday 20 pocket cruiser (a great little boat). But my sailing experience has largely been self-taught and intuitive. Meaning I might not know the "proper" way to do everything, but I get there, eventually.

But to become a fulltime cruising sailor, such as I am working on now, there are a lot of things I have to learn, naturally.

So, I very much look forward to tapping into the wisdom of the members of this forum.

Tags
florida