Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 10:34   #1

Boat: Columbia 36
Hello from SF Bay

Hey Y'all

I was looking for info on cruising the coast of California and south when I came across this forum. My wife and I took ownership of a Columbia 36 recently and look forward to the many fine days ahead. So far we've had some great days on San Francisco bay and can't wait for the day we head out the Gate and turn left. We're taking it slow and learning the ropes with the goal of making some long passages. This looks like a great place to stay informed....I hope I can remember my password.
Larsdelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 10:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard and welcome to the San Francisco Bay! Between fronts, this can be the be some of the most beautiful times of the year to sail.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 13:16   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Hello,

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm heading down on March from San Pedro in a 29' Cal. Ill keep you up to date. I plan on a 2 day sail from San Pedro/ Catalina to Ensenada, then come back a month later a sail Cabo
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:15   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. SF Bay sailing is some of the most changeable I've ever experienced. If you can sail there you can sail anywhere in my opinion.
kind regards,
Old 16-12-2010, 16:19   #5

Thanks for the welcome David M.
We moved down here from Plumas County over the summer and found out the truth about the coldest winter ever spent being a summer in San Francisco. I've noticed fall is much better. Today looked fantastic, and with what we have coming up weatherwise over the next week I'll probably be kicking myself for not getting out.

No worries about a hijack helmanta. Other than getting to know a few people here it's not as if I know where this thread is going. So hey, Nice to meet ya.

So far, we've rigged the sheets wrong, found out where that beeping sound was coming from, hooked a cable on the bottom off Alcatrz, stuck her in the mud entering the San Rafael channel, and figured out how to change the oil in the Yanmar. Dang we're good.
Old 16-12-2010, 16:26   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
A clear, calm, beautiful, but cool (mid-50s) day today in the Bay Area, but it looks like a week of rain and showers ahead. Good! That will help to fill reservoirs and ground water to "fuel" agriculture and refresh natural vegetation. Are your boat/car windshield wipers in good shape?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsdelmar View Post
So far, we've rigged the sheets wrong, found out where that beeping sound was coming from, hooked a cable on the bottom off Alcatrz, stuck her in the mud entering the San Rafael channel, and figured out how to change the oil in the Yanmar. Dang we're good.
Yeah! You're becoming a veteran.
Old 16-12-2010, 16:31   #8

I couldn't believe it when I had to find my ice scrapper this morning. I'm just glad to be where I don't have to shovel out.
Old 16-12-2010, 16:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsdelmar View Post
... stuck her in the mud entering the San Rafael channel ...
At my Dad's request, in the mid-1960s I motored his Columbia Defender (28.5-foot, flush-deck, auxiliary sloop) at night from San Rafael (where repairs to the hull were made due to a fault in the thru-hull fitting of the propeller shaft) to the home berth in Jack London Square (Oakland). Too dark to see the pilings, and Richmond lights obliterated the channel entry/exit light. Ran aground some four times in that long, narrow channel. Fortunately, the tide was rising, so after several minutes I was able to continue to the next grounding and eventually the destination.
Old 16-12-2010, 17:07   #10

I've been glad to find out that I'm not the only guy that's ever been stuck there. We were coming back from the Fleet Week air show after sunset fighting the tide. Did what we could to break her loose, but ended up turning on the spreader lights, went below and opened a bottle of wine, played some cards, and waited until the tide turned.

Someone needs to dredge that hump infront of Loma Linda...

Tags
sf bay