Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-11-2012, 10:35   #16

Boat: Crown 34'
I am pretty sure it is a skeg mounted rudder. The drawings I have seen show that is what it has. But when it gets hauled out in April for paint I might be surprised to see different haha. My grand father would have the hull cleaned by a diver in its slip all the time, as not to slow us down for the races. I did see the Olson 30 hauled out from paint, but he died before ever needing to on the Red Shift. So I have not actually seen the hull for myself.

I will become intimately familiar with every part of the vessel in no time. I've even thought about buying a dry suit and attempting to clean the bottom myself. Only the water here in the Puget sound makes me think it can wait till April haha.

Old 05-11-2012, 15:16   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Hello from Seattle, WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Alberding View Post
I am pretty sure it is a skeg mounted rudder. The drawings I have seen show that is what it has. But when it gets hauled out in April for paint I might be surprised to see different haha. My grand father would have the hull cleaned by a diver in its slip all the time, as not to slow us down for the races. I did see the Olson 30 hauled out from paint, but he died before ever needing to on the Red Shift. So I have not actually seen the hull for myself.

I will become intimately familiar with every part of the vessel in no time. I've even thought about buying a dry suit and attempting to clean the bottom myself. Only the water here in the Puget sound makes me think it can wait till April haha.

Not legal to scrub your bottom here if you have soft paint. Be careful.

Old 05-11-2012, 15:54   #18

See... lots to learn.
Old 11-11-2012, 14:20   #19

Boat: Crown 34

Hello James, we purchased our 1978 Crown 34 in April of this year & this forum has been a gold mine of information and help. Our boat was owned by a wonderful couple for over 20 years & sold by them only due to health issues.

It is our first "big boy" boat as our previous boat was a Columbia 26 with a 9.9hp outboard. It was a great boat, but the Crown is a whole new world compared to it. We are in the process of redoing/updating pretty much everything, as we can afford it, over the next few years. A great site for info is http://www.merricks.net/crown34/ , the site is no longer being updated, but has lots of useful info. The Crown 34 has a skeg, my understanding is that the San Juan 34 does not.

The first time we had it out in a nice beeze was wonderful, it was a great sail and I dont think you could have knocked the smile off my face for a week. It is just a great sailing boat.

There is another Crown 34 owner on this forum who is quite active and has owned the boat for about ten years. Hopefully he will chime in also.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully we will get down your way at some point as we are not far away in Victoria, B.C.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 19-11-2012, 21:54   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Enjoy your boat I think it's the perfect size.
kind regards,
Old 19-11-2012, 22:59   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastCrown View Post
Hello James, we purchased our 1978 Crown 34 in April of this year & this forum has been a gold mine of information and help. Our boat was owned by a wonderful couple for over 20 years & sold by them only due to health issues.

It is our first "big boy" boat as our previous boat was a Columbia 26 with a 9.9hp outboard. It was a great boat, but the Crown is a whole new world compared to it. We are in the process of redoing/updating pretty much everything, as we can afford it, over the next few years. A great site for info is http://www.merricks.net/crown34/ , the site is no longer being updated, but has lots of useful info. The Crown 34 has a skeg, my understanding is that the San Juan 34 does not.

The first time we had it out in a nice beeze was wonderful, it was a great sail and I dont think you could have knocked the smile off my face for a week. It is just a great sailing boat.

There is another Crown 34 owner on this forum who is quite active and has owned the boat for about ten years. Hopefully he will chime in also.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully we will get down your way at some point as we are not far away in Victoria, B.C.

Cheers,
Kevin
Yeah, somehow the SJ34 and Crown 34 just dont seem like similar boats to me but I could be wrong. As I remember the SJ34 it was pretty much a canoe flat bottom racer....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 23:20   #22

Boat: Crown 34

The history of the Crown 34 and how the molds ended up being sold to the Clark Boat company is detailed on the "Merricks" site. Supposedly the story goes-

"Somewhere around 30 boats were built by Calgan, before the molds where sold to GlassFab of Monroe, WA. GlassFab built the boat, essentially unmodified, and sold them as the "Sun 1030" through a marketing agreement with Sun Yachts of Vancouver. There were various marketing and financial problems between the two companies, and after one or two years, the molds were repossessed by Calgan and in turn, sold to Dave Clark of Clark Boat Co. in Federal Way, WA.
Clark was known for their line of San Juan boats, most notably the San Juan 24. The Skeg was removed, the galley layout redesigned, one set of portlights removed, mid-boom sheeting added, and the San Juan 34 was born. The largest sailboat in the San Juan line, around 50 San Juan 34 were sold between 1980 and 1988."

Am hoping at some point to meet up with a SJ34 to compare the boats.
Old 21-11-2012, 00:12   #23

Hi Kevin,

I had run across that site before I found this one. Lots of info! I hope I do see you around the sound! I've been out on thier people's boats from this site and a Puget Sound Sailing Group for the last two weeks. I can't wait to get out and get the sails up on Red Shift!
Old 21-11-2012, 00:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Enjoy your boat I think it's the perfect size.
kind regards,
Thanks John. I agree on the size. Its just big enough to have the wide beam that I like, and room for a guy my size (6'6" 340lbs) to move around the shrouds easily and with minimal sway. And it still handles great with almost no hesitation.

I was at the helm of a 51 footer today on a day sail to Bainbridge Island and like the owner said it handled like a dead elephant in anything under 7 or 8 knots of wind. I love my boat not that the boat I was on today wasn't an incredible boat!! I could actually stand up straight in the lower saloon!

Tags
seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: