Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 17:32   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Good choice in boats! Hope you get your slip soon. As far as an anti-live aboard attitude of the local marinas pure jealousy is the only reason I can think of. There are live aboard groups that might be a good source for finding a live aboard friendly slip in your area. Living Aboard Magazine
Congrats,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:26   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Take the slip that's available, and get on the waiting lists. Believe me.....living aboard will seriously out weigh the commute........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:28   #18

Boat: 1974 Columbia 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Good choice in boats! Hope you get your slip soon. As far as an anti-live aboard attitude of the local marinas pure jealousy is the only reason I can think of. There are live aboard groups that might be a good source for finding a live aboard friendly slip in your area. Living Aboard Magazine
Congrats,
Erika
Thanks Erika, I'll check it out.
Finding Id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:11   #19

Started a boat blog: Finding Id
Finding Id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 20:18   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Finding,
Welcome aboard! Your Columbia is worlds ahead in build from your Clipper and I like them. Congratulations on your "new" to you boat. Just did an interisland sail on a Columbia 28 that handled the channels marvelously.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 21:31   #21

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Hello from Portland! (Newberg actually)

My family and I are selling our house and planning to live aboard full time.

How long are the waiting lists and how much do they run monthly?

If you end up in St. Helens, the commute will be hard for the first week or so... after that, its nothing. Ive been doing Newberg to Portland 2x/day for 5 years now.
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:14   #22

The waiting lists seem to be somewhere between 1 month to maybe a year depending on the marina. There are some places available, but they want $500 - $700/mo. It looks like liveaboard slips average around $300, and some marinas charge an additional liveaboard fee anywhere from $50 - $250. Generally, utilities aren't included. Also some wanted up to $500k of insurance coverage.

I also found that many marinas that used to be liveaboard are no longer accepting them, and some that advertised liveaboard weren't accepting them either.

I ended up on the columbia temporarily until I find a liveaboard somewhere permanently.

I would suggest purchasing a slip if you can afford it. It seems most accept liveaboards if you own the slip, but if you rent it, they don't.

What type of boat are you getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbershabber View Post
Hello from Portland! (Newberg actually)

My family and I are selling our house and planning to live aboard full time.

How long are the waiting lists and how much do they run monthly?

If you end up in St. Helens, the commute will be hard for the first week or so... after that, its nothing. Ive been doing Newberg to Portland 2x/day for 5 years now.
Old 22-06-2009, 08:24   #23

Not sure yet, something between 32'-40'. With a V berth and a quarter berth, minimum.

Im trying to spend $15-$30k on it, with a few $k more marked for repairs that will likely be required. Most work I plan on doing myself too.

I havent narrowed the list to any particular model, Definitely want something sturdy enough to cross the Pacific someday.

Where did you find the $300 liveaboard slip?
Also, do you know the laws on simply anchoring on the Columbia or Willamette?
Old 22-06-2009, 09:56   #24

The lowest cost option for liveaboards that I found was Pirates Cove. I'm on the waiting list there. It's about 3 months or so long I think, if ever. They are full up, with a few boats for sale, so it's pretty much just waiting for one to sell and hoping you get in. At least thats what I was told by the harbormaster there. There is also an option on Sauvies Island, around $400 - $500 per month if I remember correctly. I prefer the Columbia vs. the channel though. Craigslist seems like a good resource for finding slips available, thats where I started. Seems like it's much easier to get the sails up and enjoy the fruits of a sailboat out there

As far as anchoring goes, I'm not sure the exact law about anchoring. I know it's illegal to obstruct a waterway, and anchoring in the shipping channel is a no-no, but actual anchoring time limits and laws seem hard to find. Here's a link the the marine boards section on anchoring: Oregon State Marine Board Anchoring , Law Enforcement Program and Statewide Laws Oregon Boating Regulations .

They recommend calling for specifics. Which I may do now as well.
Old 22-06-2009, 18:23   #25

Is that the Multnomah Channel you are talking about? What are its downsides?
Old 22-06-2009, 18:59   #26

Boat: San Juan 28
Hello from Olympia!

Our lives and plans are quite similar. I, too, am a 29 year old computer jockey who is working on ASA certifications, gaining sailing experience where possible, and planning a significant voyage in the next 3-5 years.

The biggest difference is that I don't own a boat currently. Instead I joined a sailing club with its own fleet of boats. Now instead of upkeep and slip fees and repairs and insurance, I pay monthly dues. Works for me!

I've been having a lot of fun in the lower Puget Sound. The club I'm a member of also has facilities and boats in Portland, and Kirkland. I've been meaning to go down there and sail the tread mill some time! I drove down the gorge last weekend (so many wineries, so little time!) and the waves and wind on the Columbia looked pretty challenging in some spots!
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 07:40   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbershabber View Post
Is that the Multnomah Channel you are talking about? What are its downsides?
Yes. A big downside to the channel is the current. My boat is currently moored there. Getting out of the slip by yourself is quite difficult. The channel is also quite small, which makes sailing difficult. It seems like most people motor to the Columbia or Willamette if they intend to sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Hello from Olympia!

Our lives and plans are quite similar. I, too, am a 29 year old computer jockey who is working on ASA certifications, gaining sailing experience where possible, and planning a significant voyage in the next 3-5 years.

The biggest difference is that I don't own a boat currently. Instead I joined a sailing club with its own fleet of boats. Now instead of upkeep and slip fees and repairs and insurance, I pay monthly dues. Works for me!

I've been having a lot of fun in the lower Puget Sound. The club I'm a member of also has facilities and boats in Portland, and Kirkland. I've been meaning to go down there and sail the tread mill some time! I drove down the gorge last weekend (so many wineries, so little time!) and the waves and wind on the Columbia looked pretty challenging in some spots!
Sounds like a good plan. If you make it down to Portland let me know. I'm trying to find people to sail with.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17   #28

Finally got the keys last weekend and got around to taking some pictures! Got her in my slip, and move aboard tomorrow! Pics here: http://www.findingid.com

I also signed up for my ASA classes starting July 11th. I love it when a plan comes together! Also, notified the girlfriend that she may now qualify to be an admiral.......this might come back to bite me in the rear.....
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38   #29

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Id,
Congratulations. Fine looking vessel. I was born and raised in Salem and used to visit Portland occasionally so I know the area. You've got a lot of adventures and exploring ahead of you and I think you've got the boat to do it.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 13:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finding Id View Post
Finally got the keys last weekend and got around to taking some pictures! Got her in my slip, and move aboard tomorrow! Pics here: http://www.findingid.com

I also signed up for my ASA classes starting July 11th. I love it when a plan comes together! Also, notified the girlfriend that she may now qualify to be an admiral.......this might come back to bite me in the rear.....
The boat looks great!

I'm very excited for you, even more so because you boat looks like it ws very well cared for, unlike mine which as I said earlier was really a mess.

I think you said the only issue from the survey was a wiring problem? If you have the time, you might want to address that yourself. The Don Casey book that I recommended earlier has a very good section on boat electrics... very thorough and easy to understand. After reading that section,I have committed to doing a lot of my own electrical work, even if it takes me a lot of time.

Try to go sailing as soon as you can... you deserve it! Just choose a nice 10 - 12 knot day, make sure you know how to get the main down quickly, put a reef in, etc. Do you have roller furling on the headsail? Find one or two people to go with you, put everyone in a life vest and go!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portland