Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2009, 13:49   #31

Boat: 1974 Columbia 34'
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
The boat looks great!

I'm very excited for you, even more so because you boat looks like it ws very well cared for, unlike mine which as I said earlier was really a mess.

I think you said the only issue from the survey was a wiring problem? If you have the time, you might want to address that yourself. The Don Casey book that I recommended earlier has a very good section on boat electrics... very thorough and easy to understand. After reading that section,I have committed to doing a lot of my own electrical work, even if it takes me a lot of time.

Try to go sailing as soon as you can... you deserve it! Just choose a nice 10 - 12 knot day, make sure you know how to get the main down quickly, put a reef in, etc. Do you have roller furling on the headsail? Find one or two people to go with you, put everyone in a life vest and go!
Thanks, yea it is in very good condition. I lucked out. The problem with the wiring is evidently that it is solid core wire and needs to be stranded wire. All is functional, but I guess new regulations require stranded or something? I plan on getting that book and seeing what I can do about it.

I'm hoping maybe to get the sails up this weekend with the PO. He's offered to help me get used to it a bit. I think I'm going to take him up on it for sure. No roller unfortunately. I'm hoping to get one in the future, but a bit spendy for me right now. I'm quickly learning how expensive the new boat can be as Ive already put a few hundred into her in the past 3 days.

Finding Id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 15:19   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Id,
I'd recommend using stranded marine grade tinned wire. It will last much longer in wet conditions and especially if you go out in the briney blue.
Kind regards,

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 18:17   #33

Solid core wire... ouch. That is no good, it will all have to berepoaced unfortunately. Solid core wire should never be used on a boat. That was one of the first things I learned from the Casey book. When you are ready to start replacing, buy some wire in bulk.. see the Casey book for the proper designation to buy.

A good re-wire job will talke lots of time and sweat, but not too much cash and will improve your boat significantly. Especially if you are living aboard, it is essential.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:25   #34

Boat: 1974 Columbia 34'
Thanks for the input guys. It's a job I plan on tackling sometime soon, hopefully without electrocuting myself or burning the boat down

Finding Id is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: