Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 14:03   #1

Boat: Santana 20 "Carlos"
Hello from Portland, OR!

Hello to all you CF folks. My name is Jason, I currently reside in Portland, Oregon and have a Santana 20. I've been sailing most of my life, racing, doing deliveries, and crewing aboard large yachts, both sail and power. Most of my positions were as 1st Mate, and sometimes Mate/Engineer. I married and settled up here, and love the area, although the sailing for now is limited to the Columbia River.
I, along with a friend of mine, bought an old Santana 20 in Aug of '08, and sailed it while the weather was good. Now I have out of the water at the boatyard that I work in as an electrician, rigger, and electronics installer. I am methodically stripping bits and pieces off her, and doing the small jobs while the weather is still not so nice. For example I'm building all new teak surrounds for the companionway, straightening the rudder shaft, and I'm wondering if I should drop the keel, as there is a little delamination on either side of the keel that I would like to grind out and reglass. Oh well, there are a million more projects , but my daughter is demanding lunch, so another time. I will try to post some pics of what she looked like when I got her, and the progress so far.

Take care

J
jaswhit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 15:11   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Jason,

Welcome to Cruisers Forum! The Santana is a nice little boat. One of our fellow sailing club members raced one and did very well. Hope you enjoy the Forum!
Old 08-03-2009, 18:07   #3

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, how's the weather down island?

I do so love this little Santana 20, very quick off the mark, and I've gotten completely comfortable single-handing her. Fortunately my kids have fallen in love with her too, so they will be just as happy as me when she's back in the water(who knows when?).

take it easy

J
Old 10-03-2009, 13:30   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jason,
Welcome aboard! As an old Willamette River log walker it is good to see someone from my neck of the woods on the forum. There have been others from Portland posting here from time to time. I grew up in Salem.
I have a friend here who races his Santana and does very well. If he can't find crew he single hands it spinnaker and all.
How is sailing on the Columbia?
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 13:49   #5

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Ah! A new neighbor! Well, not really new I am sure. Good to have you aboard. We are doing a similar project only on a bit larger scale. We are rebuilding the interior of our Ingrid 38 down here in Winchester Bay, Oregon.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 17:48   #6

I'm not at flying the kite on my own yet, but would love to get her rigged so that I can. As for sailing on the Columbia, somedays you make way upriver, and somedays you sail backwards! My plan is to retire before 60 and jump on my boat and go, who knows, maybe before that!
Old 21-03-2009, 10:09   #7

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
Hello neighbor! We are live aboards on the Columbia River...well, at least for the next 16 months till we set sail for our World Tour! Great sailing on the river, we are ready for some warm weather (without rain!) sailing for sure! Yes, we too have many projects to do...in between rain showers.
Old 21-03-2009, 11:27   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome to the forum Jason. Sounds like you're doing your Santana up right. Good luck and looking forward to hearing more on your adventure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 17:39   #9

Warm weather c'mon!

Thanks for the welcomes guys, I do like this forum. Yip, I hear you on the rain showers, we can do with several months of hot clear skies, wind and no rain. I should hopefully have the boat ready by end of June or so. I just dropped the keel yesterday, and am glad I did, it was a little wet and the boat has been on the hard for 2 months!

later

Jason

Tags
portland