Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 22:59   #1

Hello from Perth

Hi all. Well, here goes. Looks like a lot of great info here and looking to dig in. The story and questions

Have set myself up to retire a bit early (yay) in around 5 years (at 60). Still fit as a fiddle and loving life. As you do at this stage, retirement plans start coming to the fore. Being able to cruise the waters and oceans holds massive appeal. Cruising the land doesn't fire me up with the same passion and I don't see myself as the typical grey nomad going to all the touristy spots. Nup.

I have a great connection with the ocean, being a surfer from way back. I've been a Marine Rescue skipper and have coastal nav and MROCP qualifications. Looking to take on some RYA courses to further the knowledge. I've experience sailing small boats on sheltered waters but certainly a newb at water sailing">blue water sailing.

What am I looking to buy ? Lets just say that I will in no way qualify for the age pension, and that is just as I planned it, having done well in mining/oil/gas.

The question is of course what to purchase ? I have been looking at the market for about 12 months simply to gain an appreciation of what is out there. I can afford something decent up to say $120K and can also afford the considerable upkeep. So what do I want to do ?

1) Learn to sail blue water with some proficiency.
2) Cruise coastal waters to build up experience.
3) Start looking at that horizon

I'm single, but would possibly be two up. It errrr, depends on the circumstances at the time LOL. I'm not after a rocket ship. I am after strength of hull, ease of handling, good sea manners, comfortable under way and live aboard (without being a floating palace). Between 35 to 40 feet.

Why do Bob Perry designs keep bubbling up to the top of the list hehehe ? Help me broaden my horizons if you would be so kind.
baders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 23:04   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Hello from Perth

Hi and welcome! Is 120k your total budget, because for “refit” costs at that kind of figure you should probably look at spending around half on the boat itself, leaving the other half to fix all the problems and get things how you want them. Boat fixing is not cheap, particularly the first few months. On the other hand, if you are ready to spend 60k or so on a boat you can still be looking at boats advertised for 100k, you just won’t be offering that
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 23:15   #3

Thank you Tillsbury. $120K budget for base boat only. Prepared and able to do it right
Old 13-07-2019, 01:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, baders.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 02:12   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Which Perth? West Australia, Scotland or the one in the US?
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 02:15   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Well, I’m going to suggest checking out a few Swansons. But I WOULD say that.

1. Strong -tick
2. Easy to handle -tick
3. Good sea manners - tick, tick, tick!
4. Comfortable under way etc - tick.
5. 35 - 40 feet - tick. (But don’t ignore the 42 footer which is a breeze to solo)

You’d get a very good one for AU$70K leaving you a LOT of modernisation money if you feel you need to change things.

I’ll stop sounding like a zealot now. [emoji23]
Old 13-07-2019, 02:31   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Baders, I agree with previous poster Gilow; there are here (400 km south of you) a few Swansons, including a 38 and 42 ft, although only one (32 ft) for sale.
But if you were to come this way, I will take you sailing on the Southern Ocean.
Any excuse to go out!
Old 13-07-2019, 02:38   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, welcome to CF Baders, and kudos for a good introductory post. You will get all sorts of conflicting advice here (likely you have noticed that already), but pearls of wisdom pop up fairly often,so dig away.

But for gods sake, pay no attention to that Swanson bigot Gilow! He, like most of us, is infatuated with his own boat (which suits him well)... we all think our own choice is bloody well the best thing floating, so factor that mind set into how you interpret our advice.

Be advised, GILow (Matt) is a personal friend or I wouldn't slang him like that!

Seriously, what I'm getting at is that you need to get out and sail on a few diverse yachts in order to calibrate your lust list. What will please you ain't necessarily what will please me and personal experience is really required in order to make a good decision on boat purchase.

Your background will serve you well with respect to basic seamanship, and that puts you well ahead of our average newbie. Translating that experience into becoming a competent cruising skipper will be a great learning curve for you... we hope to cross wakes with you in the future.

Jim
Old 13-07-2019, 03:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But for gods sake, pay no attention to that Swanson bigot Gilow! He, like most of us, is infatuated with his own boat (which suits him well)... we all think (Swanson owners KNOW) our own choice is bloody well the best thing floating, so factor that mind set into how you interpret our advice.

Be advised, GILow (Matt) is WAS a personal friend or I wouldn't slang him like that!
There I fixed it for you.

You are off my friendship list since you appear to have bought the last of the magnetic tape drive motors I need and forced me into the murky and non-too-sanitary world of second-hand washing machines.
Old 13-07-2019, 03:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Hmmm... that's a good question. I was going to say the mining remark suggests WA but then maybe they dig big holes in the ground in Scotland too? I know they have oil rigs around the place.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:20   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Baders it depends what your into, Gilow likes the tubbier girls while Jimbo likes a more sleeker woman that gets him there before he is forced to go on rations. Which are you? Being a mining man you would be used to IVMS so do you set it of or do you stick to the speed limit?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 06:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
, Gilow likes the tubbier girls...
Wow, you must be a hit with the ladies. The correct expression is CURVACEOUS.

As for the grammar... well I am not even going to TRY to fix that.
Old 13-07-2019, 16:23   #13

Thanks Gilow, you are just the wing man I need if I ever get divorce after 20 years of marriage. Truth be told both the fatter and flat bottomed ladies float my boat.
Whatever baders chooses it’s really a personal choice as to what appeals to him. I would hate an Internet forum to choose my Mrs.
Cheers
Old 13-07-2019, 17:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
There's only one Perth my man. She sits at the arse end of the world about to fall off the left coast of Australia

Thanks all for the kind greets and the humour. As a resident of quite a few forums it's always pleasant to experience that as opposed to say what exists in the FaceBook rubbish pile.

Anyways, to the land based newbie lust list. The lady that caught my eye some time ago was Bob Perry's Nordic 40. Whoah but what an hourglass figure Not many for sale though

Bob's Passport 40 has got a slightly larger bottom, but would also be on the list. Same issue with availability though. There is that one in Pittwater, hmmmmmmm.

I just love the look and capabilities of the Wauquiez Pretorien, and should be easy handling at 35ft ? Not quick in light winds but quick enough for me.

At any rate, you guys are absolutely correct in saying that I need to get out on the water to gain an insight. Hank, I would absolutely love to take you up on your kind offer if it can be arranged ! If you're comfortable in doing so, please PM me with details and I will respond in kind.
Old 13-07-2019, 18:26   #15

That Wauquiez Pretorien looks like a good choice for a Mrs. How good is that cockpit with the tiller folded up and out of the way? That’s surely got to be the chain plates bolted to the main bulkhead under those brackets? If it is then they are easy to get at and inspect. This one below even has a low hour Yanmar Diesel engine.
Cheers
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...g-yacht/233276