Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 11:51   #1

Boat: Tartan TOCK
Hello from Park City, Utah

Hello everyone

I've been lurking around for a while and thought I should probably sign up and make it official. I'm currently living in Park City, but grew up in Minnesota and spent lots of time sailing with my dad around the Twin Cities on a 16' Luger, a 23' Gulf Coast and on our C&C 27 out of Port Superior in the Apostle Islands as well as a couple trips to the BVI. My wife and I are hoping to (eventually) split out time between Park City and a mobile home that we can sail throughout the warm climes of Florida, the Bahamas, the Caribbean and beyond. Hoping to meet some new folks and learn more than I already have!

Oh, and if anyone around these parts needs crew or has a boat they need exercised, let me know!
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:55   #2

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Hello from Park City, Utah

Hi Lee,

I spent part of last year in Park City - a great town, but not a real sailing destination.

I wasn't there long - the only observation I can offer is that there was no major sailing presence that I could discern.

The Salt Lake is not really well suited to it as far as I can tell, and the other lakes are kind of far away.

I never did look into the mountain lakes in that area - if there are any. I never saw any water at all in that area, in fact, except a small artificial lake at the top of one of the resorts - no rivers, creeks, or streams even.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:37   #3

Indeed, the lakes are few and far between around here. There are some rivers (I would call them large streams) and lots of reservoirs but not great for sailing with all the power boats around. I hear there is some good sailing on the Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake but I haven't checked it out yet. There's always plenty of wind around here, that's for sure.
Old 26-03-2013, 12:41   #4

The parts of Salt Lake that I saw have a mucky, shallow bottom and a nasty smell. The marinas I saw in photos showed a few small, day sailing type boats - probably no more than 3 or 4 feet in draft.

There may be other parts better suited to sailing that I never saw.

Satellite images reveal that very little of the lake's shore is developed. As I recall, the other lakes also had very few marinas on satellite images.

Ok, so not to bag on the region, there are many other great outdoor activities popular in the area. Downhill biking is a major one, and open to anyone at many levels of difficulty and intensity.
Old 26-03-2013, 12:51   #5

For sure tons of mountain biking and the skiing is second to none! I do miss being on the water though...

And yes, when the wind blows from the right direction, the Great Salt Lake smells like a backed up septic tank!
Old 26-03-2013, 12:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Before you guys trash the great salt lake- try sailing on it. I like it in early spring (now) and late fall. I anchor in secluded bays and experience sailing as it was a 100 years ago. Try that on the coast! Goggle the GSLYC if racing is your thing.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 13:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Before you guys trash the great salt lake- try sailing on it. I like it in early spring (now) and late fall. I anchor in secluded bays and experience sailing as it was a 100 years ago. Try that on the coast! Goggle the GSLYC if racing is your thing.
Not trashing it, just don't know about it. Can you give some ideas where to go, who to talk to, etc?

I tried walking into it. The water never rose above my knees no matter how far I walked (slugged). I was up to my calfs in muck the whole time. I didn't have to try sailing on it to know it wasn't going to work.
Old 26-03-2013, 13:11   #8

Didn't mean to trash it at all...Sailing the GSL is on my list of things to do. Seems like you could get out in the middle of nowhere pretty quickly and find some peace and quiet.

I checked out the website a while back but couldn't find an updated calendar. Maybe I checked too early before the season started? Have you done anything on Utah Lake? I don't have a boat here so I'd have to charter one (if that's even an option?)
Old 26-03-2013, 13:52   #9

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard A Lee View Post
I hear there is some good sailing on the Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake but I haven't checked it out yet.
I saw some one sailing on the lake last time I was there. There seems to be a marina just north of the freeway headed towards Reno.

I have a friend who fishes in the lake south of there he says its four foot deep everywhere.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 00:48   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

We have maintained a race boat on the Great Salt Lake and a cruising boat in the San Juan Islands for over 20 years. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. People who do not get past the brine flies or their stench (shore side and no more than 100 yards from shore) surely miss one of the most unique, remote and beautiful sailing venues anywhere. Our boat draughts 5', six inches less than in the ocean due to the salt content, and we have raced and cruised the southern 2/3 of the lake. As far as keeping water under us, it is not much more difficult than sailing Cape Cod.

Local knowledge is important, but there is a 200 slip marina on the south shore that is full of sailors willing to give it. And for honing sailing skills to be put to use in other locales, there is no equal. Between the complex weather patterns, the salt content and the altitude, the lake can throw about anything at you except ice.

HAL, stop by the marina on racing days and hitch a ride.
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:29   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Parker stole some of my thunder - he is right on all accounts. I will try to fill in other details. GSLYC (great salt lake yacht club) does most of the sailing in the south end of the lake. I have not joined them, but my impression is that they are a loose knit bunch of sailors who would welcome a crew member. I sail out of Antelope island marina about 35 miles north of them. Yes local knowledge is important, but they do have charts of the lake.
Bonneville sailing school teaches on both the gsl and Utah lake. I think they might charter as well. There are marinas on both the gsl and Utah lake. Utah has more (due to the sink boat crowd) 4 of them last I checked. The gsl has its challenges but has better wind and desolate islands that can be sailed to. My photo album has a few pics of sailing there. Look under Compac pictures.
Old 27-03-2013, 08:37   #12

japarker11 and newt, thanks for the input! I've never been a racer but I'd be willing to give it a shot to get out on the lake and meet some folks. Now, if I can just talk my father-in-law in to letting me pull his S2 (23ft) over here from Winter Park, CO for a while...Its got a swing keel, so that might be helpful in the shallows.

Newt, I checked out your album yesterday. Looks like some good sailing. I like your setup with the sheets on your tiller. Never seen that before.
Old 27-03-2013, 09:02   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sail with us before you drag a boat from Co. If you miss the maintenance that much you can come and help me commission my compac this spring. :-) I have lots of awkward, dirty boat work to do.:-)
Old 10-04-2013, 16:31   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I've heard that its so salty that it makes you very buoyant. Boats actually float above the water there.
The beer of choice is "St. Provo Girl."
kind regards,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
The beer of choice is "St. Provo Girl."
kind regards,
Unfortunately, they had to change it a few years ago so now it's just "Provo Girl". Apparently it was a little too close to "St. Pauli Girl"...Good stuff none the less!