Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 13:27   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Hello from NJ

Greetings,

I've been lurking for a while and finally got around to actually joining the site. Thank you all for the information you've posted over the years- few questions seem to escape answers on this forum.

My name is Jeff and I have been sailing since I was young. I started in Long Island Sound with my family on a Hunter 30 that my parents owned for about 20 years. As a kid I worked at Fayerweather Yacht Club in Blackrock, CT earning just enough in wages and tips to pay for gas for my commute back and forth. I sailed on every boat that I could con my way on to after work each night, prostituting myself out as extra muscle for the older members or as local knowledge for the newer guys. I eventually went off to college at Texas Maritime Academy in Galveston, TX and raced both dinghies and keel boats for the school.

I graduated from school with an Unlimited Tonnage Third Mate's License but entered the USCG rather than sailing on commercial ships. After a year in Washington DC working with vessel security plans (the dreaded desk job), I headed off to Naval Flight School. I've been flying CG helicopters ever since.

My wife (Sarah) and I own and race a J22 at Riverton Yacht Club in NJ. It's named 'Prerequisite' because we agreed that we would own a boat before even discussing the prospect of having children. One day my wife came home from work and said she thought she was ready to have kids. I replied "Oh really? Well there's a J22 out on Lake Erie that I have my eye on." Two weeks later I was driving out to Erie, PA to pick up our new boat. Anyway, we still don't have kids, but the prerequisite to them has been filled.

We're in the process of buying a Cape Dory 33 since we'd both like to get back into cruising. Racing is great, but nothing beats a Gin and Tonic while swinging on the hook. We've looked at a lot of Cape Dorys along the East Coast- everything from 33'-40', but the 33 just made the most sense to us. We're hoping to have the sale of the boat all wrapped up in time for spring so we can use the warm weather getting everything together for a summer sail down to Florida.

That's our story and we're sticking to it.
Nice to meet you all.
Jeff
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 14:47   #2

Welcome aboard. Enjoy and good luck!
Old 14-01-2010, 14:54   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Prerequisite huh?
As an engaged man, I might have to use that one. Welcome,
Spencer
Old 14-01-2010, 18:57   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new boat...great story, sounds
like you will have the room on board for when your young crew finally arrives.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 19:48   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Jeff. We're happy to have you come aboard.

Your service with the USCG is highly appreciated and we look forward to reading your take on the various topics that permeate this Forum. I imagine that there will be members who will ask pointed questions of you from time to time which infer that they think you speak for the entire Coast Guard, but I hope there isn't too much of that.

Again, welcome aboard!

TaoJones
Old 14-01-2010, 20:04   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I always welcome pointed questions, just be prepared for equally pointed answers! Actually, I'll do my best to research any CG-related questions to answer them accurately. I really know more about the aviation side of CG operations but I'll take a stab at the boating side when needed. I'm definitely a member of this website more as an avid boater than a CG Officer though.

Wear your life jackets (OK, sometimes I'll act like a CG Officer)!
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 14:34   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard,
Had a few Coasties aboard our Cruiser down off Venezuela many years ago and we helped them stop a few ships that looked "suspicious." I have a great deal of respect for the Coast Guard and their mission.
Thanks for your service.
kind regards,