Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 22:01   #1

Hello From Newfoundland !

Hey everyone,

It's good to finally be part of the forum. I've been searching the net for sailing tips for a while now and have consistently been directed to this forum. Now an official member, I figure I can learn a lot from the rest of you.

I also joined to forum to hopefully meet a few Newfoundlanders that could possibly help me out. I have a sailboat back home (a 26' McVay MicMac) and want to sail to the Caribbean Islands. Thing is, I have no sailing experience. So basically, I'm looking for a sailing mentor. My goal is to graduate school next year, work for a year to save up funds and then set sail. If anyone is interested in helping guide a 24 year old to his dream please don't hesitate to message me.

In the meantime, I can't wait to get to know a few of you and get my sea legs ready.

ParadiseDan
ParadiseDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 22:03   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
This is a great place to begin your adventure. Although we may not be able to directly help build up the sea legs, we can certainly help build up the sea brain. That will give you confidence when you go out. Good to have you here,
Spencer
Old 15-04-2010, 22:21   #3

Thanks for the welcome Spencer

I can't wait to get some sea knowledge and hopefully get some sailing hours in this summer

Cheers!
Old 16-04-2010, 08:25   #4

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Well if your in St John's wander on down to Quidi Vidi and have a meet, we are here tied to the brewery for a few more days as will be pushing off near the middle to end of May heading south. Will be able to give you some contacts of local's on the same quest.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 10:41   #5

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Well if your in St John's wander on down to Quidi Vidi and have a meet, we are here tied to the brewery for a few more days as will be pushing off near the middle to end of May heading south. Will be able to give you some contacts of local's on the same quest.
HI all,

I'm a newfie livin on a boat abroad....and looking to sail home in a couple years!

Paradise dan,

My personal idea of sailing is to get a independant as possible. Just keep it simple. Not too much gadgetry. Your boat size seems about right. Keeps costs down, less maintenance and so on. You can always go bigger later. Good luck with it!

Artful Dodger,
What agreement did you make to tie up to the brewery? I've thought that living in the gut during the summer would be quite nice. Do you have a shore power connection? Did you stay there all winter?

Cheers,
Hank
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 11:08   #6

Yes there is shore power, cable TV and interenet, as well use of washroom and shower in the brewery when they are open, and yes we stayed aboard all winter was a great experience. The cost is very reasonable. Your boat can not draw any more than six feet, other wise you can only get in once during the month on the highest tide which you could come in with 7 foot draft. We've been here four winters and now pushing on. The beer is good they say, myself don't drink beer but there is always free beer around here.
Old 16-04-2010, 13:43   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Yes there is shore power, cable TV and interenet, as well use of washroom and shower in the brewery when they are open, and yes we stayed aboard all winter was a great experience.
Wait. Let me get this straight. You live on a boat, tied to a brewery, with cable, power and internet? Are you in Heaven? Could you say "Hi" to Elvis for me?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 06:35   #8

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Quote:
Yes there is shore power, cable TV and interenet, as well use of washroom and shower in the brewery when they are open, and yes we stayed aboard all winter was a great experience. The cost is very reasonable. Your boat can not draw any more than six feet, other wise you can only get in once during the month on the highest tide which you could come in with 7 foot draft. We've been here four winters and now pushing on. The beer is good they say, myself don't drink beer but there is always free beer around here.
How much space do they have? Were there other boats then just yours tied up? That does sound like heaven!!
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 08:36   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"Kiddy Viddy"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quidi vidi 2.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	15391  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 09:05   #10

There's enought space for four 30ft sail boats or 2 30ft and one 40 footer, I was told that there was one winter a three mast schooner which spent one winter in here atttached to the wall face.
Old 18-04-2010, 22:11   #11

Quote:
Thanks A.D.

I'm smack in the middle of exams now. But if your still in town I'd love to drop down and get a bit of sailing knowledge from you. I've got a long way to go and every little bit helps.

Cheers
Old 22-04-2010, 22:58   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Looks like you're making a connection or two.
regards,
Old 25-04-2010, 21:09   #13
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
how good is this thing the cruisers forum .(international governments could learn a lot) Im literaly blown away................( well not actualy literaly)
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 04:55   #14
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome to the forum Dan (and as you've already seen, membership has it benefits)! The McVay's were well-built boats and should prove a good way to start pursuing your dream.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland