Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 18:17   #1

Hello from Newbie Member

Hi everyone,
Thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I am about to do a basic sailing course which is something I've always wanted to do and thought I would join this forum to learn as much as I can and meet other like-minded people who love the ocean. Looking forward to reading your posts.
kangasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:49   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Hello from newbie member

Welcome aboard, Kanga! Keep us posted on your sailing progress, and let's know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 11-08-2013, 19:10   #3

Boat: Coast 34

Welcome aboard! Taking a sailing course is a great idea for a beginning. You'll learn a lot and meet others with a similar interest. There's so much to boating...you can go as far as you can dream. Good luck.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:02   #4

Thank you Mauritz!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:03   #5

Thank you Annie
Old 12-08-2013, 03:08   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangasailor View Post
Hi everyone,
Thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I am about to do a basic sailing course which is something I've always wanted to do and thought I would join this forum to learn as much as I can and meet other like-minded people who love the ocean. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome! I learned to sail at age 62 so I'm pretty certain it's never too late!

I'm going to recommend a book to you -- SAILING FOR DUMMIES. Hate the title, love the book.

The first time I read it, I was amazed at how much didn't make sense to me. I read it again a year later and was amazed how much I'd learned. Meanwhile, it explained so clearly how to handle a boat when overpowered and trying to broach that it may well have saved my little boat. Yes, it IS possible to learn important things by reading about them although nothing trumps hands-on experience.

However, hands-on when you don't know what's going on can be useless or nearly useless. I really urge you to get that book.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:22   #7

Hi Rakuflames, I really enjoyed 'Boldly Go Sailing'! Some invaluable tips especially the second anchor & zinc. Very informative I have printed it out. Also I have already ordered 'Sailing for Dummies', another friend of mine suggested I buy it so I'm looking forward to it arriving. I used to live in a 'stink' boat, power boat but actual sailing is all new to me. My partner and I are planning on purchasing a sail boat soon with the intent of living on it in the Great Barrier Reef ( eventually). Of course being newbies we won't be venturing out much on our own without a competent skipper with us, but hey the fun is in the learning & better for us and everyone around us if we take baby steps. Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:43   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangasailor View Post
Hi Rakuflames, I really enjoyed 'Boldly Go Sailing'! Some invaluable tips especially the second anchor & zinc. Very informative I have printed it out. Also I have already ordered 'Sailing for Dummies', another friend of mine suggested I buy it so I'm looking forward to it arriving. I used to live in a 'stink' boat, power boat but actual sailing is all new to me. My partner and I are planning on purchasing a sail boat soon with the intent of living on it in the Great Barrier Reef ( eventually). Of course being newbies we won't be venturing out much on our own without a competent skipper with us, but hey the fun is in the learning & better for us and everyone around us if we take baby steps. Thanks again!

Well that's the great advantage of starting somewhat younger than 62. Realistically, doing extensive cruising by myself on my boat isn't a good plan, but I hope to do some on others' boats.Not prudent for two reasons: first, I do feel more vulnerable as a single, older female, and second, my boat is not a bluewater boat.

So I enjoy what I can do, constantly work to expand my skills, and look for alternatives to doing what I want to do but maybe can't manage by myself. There are always choices and options.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello from Nwbie Member

Hi Kanga... Welcome to CF..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 11:47   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Hello from Newbie Member

Aloha and welcome aboard!
How were your sailing classes. If you've already done them then you probably have a good basic sailing book. If you come acrosse "Start Sailing Right!" at a book sale then pick it up. I've found it to be a very goods instruction manual.
kind regards,
Old 25-09-2013, 11:54   #11

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Hello from Newbie Member

Welcome & greetings from SW Florida.

Tags