Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 21:44   #1

Hello from New Zealand - advice?

Hello everyone, my name is Fran & I'm a newbie! I joined the forum after meeting a lovely bloke in Queenstown who is sailing his way around the world. I'd thought about offering my hands as a crew member long ago, but talking to him re-inspired me to get some feelers out there

I've come to this side of the world (originally from the UK) to see as much of it as possible. As a big believer in the adventure of the journey being as important as reaching the destination, the idea of working on a boat, making new friends & becoming a competent sailer is a very attractive prospect.

Growing up I was part of a sailing club in Devon & have spent a lot of time on boats since, so have some knowledge of sailing/boating. I love being at sea & it would be fantastic to spend more time doing so.

Will anyone be looking for crew members around September time, departing from New Zealand & heading to Samoa, Fiji, Tonga or any of the other pacific islands?

Or is there any other advice you can give me?

Thanks,
Fran x

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Franny2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 23:33   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Thumbs up Re: Hello from New Zealand - advice?

Hello and welcome,

I doubt you'll find many sailors heading from NZ to the Pacific Is in September.
As we approach the end of the South Pacific cyclone season, sailors are preparing to leave for the islands end of April, May, early June.
Around October November yachts come to NZ from the islands to avoid the coming cyclone season.

Best of luck in your endeavours, fair winds
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:49   #3

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Hello from New Zealand - advice?

Welcome to CF.

Apart from wanting a ride, what sort of advice are you after?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fran.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:06   #5

Thank you Albro359, my friend said people are likely to set sail around May but I wondered what later in the year was like. I guess I'm after advice about all of that: when isv the best time to travel, from where, who to talk to & how to go about finding people looking for crew. I've never owned a boat so feel pretty out of my depth on here, but am just eager to learn. It might be good to know of there are other ways I can learn more about sailing whilst I'm based in New Zealand - does anyone know of sailing clubs around Queenstown for instance, or how I can get involved?

Old 07-04-2015, 07:31   #6

Boat: 55' sloop.

Welcome to Cruiser's Forum, and hopefully to the extraordinary, beautiful, and often hard working world of Ocean sailing. First thing to say is that Albro is absolutely right about the seasons, of course. September is no time to be heading North from NZ to the tropics. If you were offered passage on a yacht sailing to the destinations you mention at that time, you should have serious pause for thought about the nature and quality of the skipper and boat. And this is the second thing I want to suggest to you: you must gain as much knowledge you can in advance about things such as boat and ocean hazards and safety, including communication and safety and survival equipment and tactics. You should try and get as much knowledge as you can about boat maintenance and upkeep as well, and about nautical qualifications, and good practise. You should do these things before you just jump on a boat out of NZ heading anywhere, because you are in one of the more energetic locations for sailing in the world, and the interface between the temperate and tropical zones to the North of NZ can be unpredictable and fierce. That passage has killed some 9 persons to my knowledge in the past 3 years out of a number which is not excessively high. Others have died in the waters around the South island, including on the Munetra, and that boat in particular is a case in point of what I am trying to suggest. You need to be able to interview the skipper about their experience and practises, about the nature of the boat and its safety equipment and maintenance schedule etc., before you just jump on any craft whatever. A bad skipper, one with whom you should not sail, may resent such questions. A good one will respect you for asking them and will be more than happy to detail to you the preparations and passage plan they have made as well as their own experience etc. You should not get on a boat without at least some decent knowledge of those aspects, and I would not personally take crew on who showed so little regard for their safety as to not be asking. Of course your very reason for being here shows you willing to learn this kind of thing, and good on you! I am in no way trying to scare you off. I live on the the ocean wave and long distance sailing has brought me more satisfaction than any other single lifestyle I can imagine. As to sailing around Queenstown, there is this at least: WYC About As to the other areas around the South Island, there is a lot, but it can be fierce. If you get on a boat offshore there, make sure it is the right one! Aye, S.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:39   #7

Boat: 55' sloop.

Also, Crewseekers is a good site to find prospective trips for relative novices.

And please don't think I am suggesting you need acres of experience prior to going to sea. You definitely don't. You just need to find the right boat to go with, and the right skipper. The majority of skippers heading North from NZ in the Southern Autumn (from now until June or so) are good and safe and have well found boats. But some do not and are not, but are quite willing to be cavalier about the lives and safety of others for short term needs.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 15:00   #8

Fantastic advice, thank you so much. I am aware that I have a lot to learn & yes that is why I joined. I'm truly very grateful for the heads up on everything I should know before setting off - rest assured I definitely won't be trying to sail in September...! Just had a look at that link & will see if I can get some experience with the Wakatipu Yacht Club whilst I'm based down here. Thanks again

Old 16-04-2015, 11:27   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Franny, Welcome Aboard the Forum!

You have a very good intro and attitude. That should help you get aboard a boat.

You have also received some excellent advice from experienced sailors who know the local waters.

Good luck on your sailing adventures and have fun!

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 00:08   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390 1990 model Seduction of Melbourne

Hi Fran welcome aboard ...I,m an Aussie sailor with a lovely Beneteau Oceanis 390 on a swing mooring in Sydney ....Born in Plymouth Devon many years ago Always welcome to chat anytime with like minded people interested in sailing ...Take care
Cheers Tim
timjf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand