Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 18:08   #1

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
Hello from NC

Hi all. s/v Blue Ayes, Endeavour 37, located in Oriental. Live near Wilson, NC.

Steve
blueayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 21:03   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hello and welcome to the forum,
Happy sailing,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 02:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard CF Steve.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 10:09   #4

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
nice boat - I like the name

hope you enjoy the forum

welcome
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:11   #5

Boat: Just sold my Cal 2-46 looking for a 47 Vagabond
Sail Trade

Welcome from Beaufort, NC !!!!

We were just in Oriental.
Great little town.

Ran up from Beaufort, got lunch at the marina deli; headed back across the Neuse, to use my bowrider as a chase boat for the sailboat races in Adams Creek.
The races are called "The Jackass Rendezvous...." but that's a story for another thread......

Takes us no time up the ICW and across the river.

Let us know when you're at the boat....

My wife wants me to trade you boat work for a sail. She'll buy lunch too....

Again, welcome, this place is a wealth of knowledge...

peggy and fred
Old 20-08-2009, 13:16   #6

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it!
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:30   #7

Like those E 37's,... welcome..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:22   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Welcome. Gretchen and I LOVE M&Ms (the resturant). We keep our boat at NW Creek Marina in New Bern.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 18:03   #9

Thanks for the welcome. great forum.
Currently in Oriental at Whittaker Point, but thinking about moving to the SHeraton or Bridgeport marina in New Bern. It would shave off about 1/2 drive.
Old 23-08-2009, 19:12   #10

Decided to stay in Oriental. Will just drive faster to shave off the 1/2hr drive.
Old 23-08-2009, 19:17   #11

welcome...
we are in morehead..
boat is currently in seagate, about 1/2 way to you..
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 20:21   #12

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
We used to keep our boat in bridgepoint marina in new bern, but moved it to Whortonsville a year and a half ago. We live in Cary. It does save some driving time but that isn't everything. If you plan to weekend in the boat and sit around the marina New bern is a fine place. We found that the winds in the upper neuse (above Minnesott Beach) are often nearly calm while nice sailing winds are blowing in the lower Neuse. We often had to motor 2.5 hours to go sailing. We do a lot more sailing now that we're in the lower neuse. It also makes places like Ocracoke a weekend trip instead of three or four days. If your looking to sail alot I strongly recommend staying in the lower Neuse.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 17:49   #13

Thanks, Capt Bill,
I had wondered about the winds around New Bern. Resturants and parts stores access is nice, but I like to sail so that is a big concern.
Tried to find Whortonsville once, but must have missed a turn.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:44   #14
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
carolina cruising

Hi. I am going to be sailing down that way around oct. nov. wonder if you had any advice on good marinas or anchorages, towns to check out. What is the average temp. in winter, does it get below freezing. Boat has 4'6" draft and 72' mast so I am not going intercoastal. Bound south till I find a nice place.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 07:03   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
That 72 foot mast will present you with a few problems, the biggest being how you get into Pamlico sound. You will have to come through either Ocracoke or Hatteras inlets. If the weather is decent you should not have any issues. My recommendation is Ocracoke and you can start exploring there. It's a nice little town, but most stuff closes up after November and reopens in March. Once your in the Pamlico you can visit a number of towns that are quite nice. Oriental is the sailing capital of NC and easily accessed. Washington, Bath, and Belhaven up the Pamlico river are also quite nice. You can go as far north as Manteo but will have to stay south of the highway 64 bridges. You will not be able to go all the way to New Bern as there is a 65 foot bridge just south of the city. There is an active sailing community on upper broad creek and Fairfield harbor. There are places on the upper Neuse where you'll want to be careful with your draft and stick to the marked channel if the wind has been blowing strongly from the SW for a few days. The Pamlico basin does not have much in the way of tides away from the inlets but is strongly affected by wind SW winds tend to empty the Neuse and NE winds tend to fill it. 25 knots for a few days can make a 4-6 foot difference in water levels. This is +-2-3 feet from mean water levels, not 4-6 feet from mean water levels, but winds often change from SW to N and NE with cold front passages.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Marinas In Belhaven, but there should be a few that can accomodate you. We looked at Dowry Creek Marina and if they're not full the have a couple of long Docks that might work for you. They do cater to transients on the annual ICW migration which is in full swing in Oct-Nov. River Dunes Marina off of Broad creek is very well protected and serves an upscale community that is still largely under construction. It is extremely well protected, and has a large turning basin. It's fuel/pumpout dock has to be one of the easiest approaches I have ever made, even in high winds. They don't have any cat slips so you would have to take a T-dock but it's so well protected you should have no issues. Whittaker Point Marina has Cat slips but I measures the depth in there with the thought of putting my cat in there and found only 4 feet of water on a windless day. My boat draws 4 feet so I opted for another marina up in broad creek. Northwest Creek Marina in Fairfield harbor has a couple of T-dock arrangements for Cats and may be able to accomodate you. It is also very well protected. Unfortunately for you most of the Marinas near town are barred by 65 foot or less bridges. Oriental Harbor cannot accomodate cats more than 42 feet and the water depth is a bit marginal as well

Most of the anchorages that are available to you are located some distance from the significant towns, Depending on wind direction you can probably find a nice anchorage near Belhaven and Washington. For out of the way anchorages I recommend South River, Broad Creek, Upper Broad Creek, and some of the areas of the Bay River. Captain Bob's ICW guide gives pretty good instructions on these anchorages. You can go up the Bay River all the way to Bayboro, though while deep enough you'll need to be prepared to pivot to turn around as it gets pretty narrow up near town.

One rather interesting anchorage is in Turnagain Bay. Once you're inside you can safely anchor in 8-9 feet of water. This anchorage is located just outside of the restricted area around the USMC bombing range and one can get some pretty spectacular fireworks shows when they're practicing.

As for temperatures, below freezing near the coast is pretty rare if at all in Oct-Nov. Near freezing, yes but not below until one gets further inland. Water temps just aren't low enough yet for that to happen. I usually don't make freeze preparations until mid December, and even then that is mostly precautionary. Our lowest tems tend to come in January and February when temps in the low 20s happen occsionally. This last year was the coldest in a long time and we did have some thin ice along the shore in late January and February. In Oct-Nov you probably will have some days with lows in the 30's highs tend to be in the 50s and 60s though occasionaly after the passage of a strong cold front you might not make it out of the 40s in late Nov.

Hope this helps.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote