Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 08:52   #16

Boat: Just sold my Cal 2-46 looking for a 47 Vagabond
Beaufort, NC

Capt. Bill's info is right on the mark.

Put Beaufort, NC on your list as well, if you need a "pit stop" while outside headed south.

With your mast, it'll be in and out of Beaufort Inlet.
The ICW has 65' fixed both north and south.
It's a well marked commercial inlet and offers easy access to both Beaufort and Morehead City.

Beaufort Town docks have been rebuilt; anchoring in Taylor Creek is safe and 50 yards to the dinghy dock.
I wintered over in the creek and never left.
It's very mellow and the people are great.

Rarely gets below freezing and the water temp is high. propably jinxed it now.....

Lots of history here...
Beaufort is celebrating it's 300th birthday this September...check out their web site.

Blackbeards house is here, as well as his hangin' tree....

Too many saloons & restaurants to remember....

fred
Old 25-08-2009, 09:20   #17

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
You'll have to go back out Ocracoke inlet to head south. If you decide to visit the Beaufort/Morehead city area, I suggest you stop a day or two at the Cape Lookout Bight. It's a pretty good anchorage and the national seashore and lighthouse are beautiful. The issue is that unless it's absolutely flat you'll want to give the shoals at Cape Lookout a pretty wide berth. You'll have to come back north about 20 miles to come in Beaufort inlet, but its a very wide deep inlet and easy to get into.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:10   #18

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
Another good stop near oriental is Whittaker Point marina (across from Whittaker creek marina). New facilities and great people. They also have a van to use to town.
there are a couple of cats there now so should be deep enough. It is right off the ICW.
blueayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:35   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
There is a new marina in Bridgeton, which is right across the river from New Bern, which could accommodate your boat. Very nice docks, not many slip holders yet. I don't know what the rates are:

Bridgeton Harbor

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:48   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Bridgeton Harbor marina is above the 65 foot bridge across the Neuse, it is not accessable to a vessel with a 72 foot mast. As for Whittaker Point, the Cat slips tend to be on the inside in shallower areas with only about 4 feet of water. This is not a problem for many Cats as they draw less than 4 feet. UB1 howerver states that he draws 4'6". He will have a problem in the inner slips. There is a good 6'+ at the long docks on the channel, but they are not protected from waves when the wind is out of the south or SW. Wave attenuators protect the inner slips. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful marina and I would have liked to get in there, but 4 feet of water with boat that draws 4 feet doesn't cut it.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:57   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Yep, you are right. I was thinking about the span that goes across from n/w, and completely forgot about the main span going ACROSS the river. Duh.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Bridgeton Harbor marina is above the 65 foot bridge across the Neuse, it is not accessable to a vessel with a 72 foot mast. As for Whittaker Point, the Cat slips tend to be on the inside in shallower areas with only about 4 feet of water. This is not a problem for many Cats as they draw less than 4 feet. UB1 howerver states that he draws 4'6". He will have a problem in the inner slips. There is a good 6'+ at the long docks on the channel, but they are not protected from waves when the wind is out of the south or SW. Wave attenuators protect the inner slips. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful marina and I would have liked to get in there, but 4 feet of water with boat that draws 4 feet doesn't cut it.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 12:14   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
regards