Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 08:15   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Hello from NC!

Hello all, Im retired...semi-retired life long boater however Ive been land locked the whole time. Now Id like to move over to the big pond. I plan to sell my current boat and lake property and try to find 35-40 foot ????? I love the idea of a sailboat however I have never once sailed. So that makes me lean toward a trawler even though I keep looking at sailboats.... My plan is to see a lot of the east coast and spend time in Caribbean. If I buy one from the gulf then plans will adjust.
Pulling the trigger on this endeavor has been hard, I had planned to do this 2 yrs ago and did a lot of work on house to prepare for sell...Im still in house...no for sale sign in yard. I kick myself everyday and have re-started the sell prep. I have set a goal to be out of house and boat shopping by end of year but the task seems so large...the things I must get rid of....the things I can't get rid of...
Anyway, hello to all and I like the stories and info so thanks.
FV Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 08:48   #2

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Hello from NC!

Welcome Black Pearl -

Starting is the hard part. We did it after living in the house for 20 years, then we packed everything into a camper and truck and hauled it all across the country to pick up our boat on the west coast. Although the last two years have had their ups and downs, to me - the hardest part was starting the downsizing and getting the house ready to go. In the end, we rented the house and that's been working fine so far. If finances permit, maybe you can consider renting the house out -

Anyway, good luck and let us all know how you're doing!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 09:19   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

I have considered renting, Id like that as last resort. If I decide after a few years I want a house again... I don't want this one. Its much to large for me. When I bought house I was married to woman that had 4 children, so bought larger house. Kids are grown and moved...divorced the wife and now I live here alone. I have an RV setup year round at a lake, I plan to relocate there between selling house and buying boat. Seems like Ive prepared for this for 10 years but stuck in a rut. Between youtube videos and Cruisers forums I hope I can stay focused and pumped up to make my goal of end of year. A friend told me one time..."Low Low Lower your goals until you reach your goal" seems like a crappy idea but certainly has merit....lol
FV Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 04:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Black Pearl.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 04:48   #5

Location: Live in Boone, North Carolina. Boat kept in Port Charlotte during the off season.
Boat: Brewer 12.8 (42')1987

Welcome Black Pearl,

Also live here in NC and plan to spend winters in the Caribbean after retirement in a few years. In my humble opinion, sailing is not the hard part. Boat handling (especially around docks and other boats), navigation , seamanship, and maintenance is what keep most dreamers away and you have some of that with lake experience. Go to the coast and find someone to sail with or take a course. My wife and I just got back from a week on a sailboat in the Abaco’s and it was wonderful. Good luck with your quest and hope to see you on the big pond!
Climbtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 21:49   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote