Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2008, 21:33   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38-Tondalaya
Hello from NC

Hey everyone,
Just joined the community tonight and I thought I would go ahead and introduce myself. Right now I'm a student at NCSU, in my last semester right now so I'm pretty excited to be finished. I've been sailing for about 4 years now mostly in oriental, NC. My profile says I have a bavaria 38, well it's actually not mine, it's my mothers, college budget=no money for a boat. But I've been captain of the vessel for about a year now. I've done some ASA courses in the past, the three ones up to bareboat. Well can't think of much else to say at this point. I ran across this quote a while back, and I thought I would end with it.

"The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." -Thoreau

Carl
pig'n'rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 21:41   #2

Boat: 44 footer
Hi Carl,

Welcome!

I'm also a college student, and from NC.

Did you take your ASA classes in Oriental?

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 21:46   #3

Boat: Bavaria 38-Tondalaya
No, I actually took them at water sailing">blue water sailing school in FL. But I'm thinking of taking coastal navigation in Oriental this summer.
pig'n'rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 13:55   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Carl,
Welcome aboard!! I just saw your post from March. Good to have you here and hope you can enjoy that boat this spring.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 15:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Carl,

I'm not college student but did take the 3 ASA courses. I would say that with a year of experience makes you dangerous enough to enjoy a fun trip and not screw it up. It's a pretty solid base to begin from. My neighbor has a Bavaria 37 and I've sailed with him on it. It's a fun boat.

For a good navigation course look for the US Power Squadron USCG Auxiliary Navigation courses. There are two. It's a real course with teachers that were former military navigators. The ASA course is mostly home study and the exam. The Auxiliary course is a real class room course and teaches a lot more than any other I've found.

Chapmans Piloting as a text book is pretty good and if you search the forum for Bowditch you can find the link for the free PDF formatted book you can download from NOAA.

Bowditch -The American Practical Navigator: [Free On-Line]
Goto:

Maritime Safety Information
Or:
Bowditch Online

I hope to go down to the boat in the morning and get de winterized. It's boating season - finally.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote