Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 09:33   #1

Boat: Orion 34
Hello from Montana

After lurking for a few days I figured it was time to introduce myself to this great community!

I'm new to yacht sailing, but have been on and around boats most of my life. I dingy sailed as a kid growing up in the UK, mostly Mirrors and Toppers. I got into scuba diving in my late teens, and in my 20s spent all my disposable income diving in the Red Sea. In '98 I went out to Borneo and worked for a dive shop in exchange for being trained and certified as a Divemaster. I tried really hard to get back into 'regular' life when I returned to the UK, but it wasn't happening! In 2000 I went to Ft Lauderdale and got my Instructor ticket through ProDive, and then got a job in the Bahamas. I ended up buying a dive shop, getting married, and having a child...life was great until the world economy went belly-up. By '08 we were out of options for keeping the shop open, and we left our island life and moved to my wife's home town in Montana.

We're back on our feet again, and last Autumn I bought a 1974 Catalina 22 with the goal of getting us proficient enough to enjoy sailing holidays in the summers, and maybe one day spend an extended amount of time living and sailing in the Caribbean, and beyond.

I took my boat out just once last year, desperately trying to recall sail usage from my dingy days! Thankfully I was able to get us out and sailing for a few hours, and back to the dock, without incident! Dropping the mast was almost a disaster: we unfastened the wrong shroud, and luckily I caught the mast before it dropped sideways onto a parked Range Rover!

I'm booked to take ASA 101 in February (in AZ, since the lakes here are frozen!) so that I don't have to guess how to sail anymore, and may take 103 later in the year. My goal is to be able to charter a bareboat in the summer of '16 and sail part of the Exuma chain.

Anyway, greetings to you all. And thank you for providing such a valuable resource for sailors.

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OceanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 10:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hello from Montana

Howdy Andy! Welcome Aboard this forum!

You have an interesting background of experience that I am sure would help any sailor, and will be the envy of many who SCUBA dive too.

You mentioned taking some classes in the future.

I highly recommend taking classes (if one can afford them) and the place I like to recommend is the San Francisco Bay Area. Why there rather than a typical inland lake? It offers many sailing challenges (typical daily winds in the summer months are 20-30knots, chance to reef a main for real, tidal changes, currents, fog, ship traffic, lots of sailboats for practicing right of way, etc.) that will provide experience that prepares one for "blue water" sailing without going "off shore." And it is a great place to visit when not on the water. Good food too.

Good luck on your sailing adventures and have fun!
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:46   #3

Hi Steady,

Thanks for the welcome, and for the suggestion regarding courses. I'm taking 101 on a lake in AZ as I'll be sailing my boat on lakes here in MT and figured it would make sense to learn in a like environment. 103 I was considering taking in FL, but taking it in San Fran sounds like a good idea. I spent 4 months in SF in '99 (and was there for the anti-climatic Y2K non-event!), and loved it. Especially the food!

Best,

Andy

Old 24-01-2015, 15:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFox View Post
Hi Steady,

Thanks for the welcome, and for the suggestion regarding courses. I'm taking 101 on a lake in AZ as I'll be sailing my boat on lakes here in MT and figured it would make sense to learn in a like environment. 103 I was considering taking in FL, but taking it in San Fran sounds like a good idea. I spent 4 months in SF in '99 (and was there for the anti-climatic Y2K non-event!), and loved it. Especially the food!

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy.

I understand.

I would enjoy sailing in Arizona too, or just about anywhere.

But as I recall, I saw a website last year that showed a "regatta" that took place on one of those lakes, Lake Havasu. Lots of small sailboats went there (traveled from far) and when the event happened there was almost no wind. Calm day.

So, they mostly motored about. That can happen on inland lakes (I know from years of sailing on lakes).

The good thing about SF in the summer is that the wind is very predictable because of the way the bay is situated with the surrounding land. The wind comes through the Golden Gate at a very nice speed, great for rip-roaring sailing. Try it some time in the future.

Good luck and may you have fair winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 10:22   #5

Boat: Com Pac 25

Andy, welcome, I too live in MT. Just bought a compac 25 in October. Haven't sailed it yet as every thing froze up son after we got back. Looking to sail on Flathead Lake this summer. I'm going to take some classes from the marina in Dayton. Maybe we'll see you on the lake.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Scott n Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 04:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Andy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:16   #7

Thanks to you all for the welcome.
I just returned from taking the ASA 101 on Lake Pleasant in AZ. It was a great experience and now I can't wait for the ice to melt on Hebgen Lake so I can get out on my boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-02-2015, 04:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFox View Post
Thanks to you all for the welcome.
I just returned from taking the ASA 101 on Lake Pleasant in AZ. It was a great experience and now I can't wait for the ice to melt on Hebgen Lake so I can get out on my boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Heya Andy, welcome to the forum bud!

Sounds like you are havin' fun and on your way towards the plan, or some alternative...

One of the more popular posters here lives in Bozeman
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Sand crab

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 15:16   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Hi Ocean Fox. Welcome. Were you with Clint on Lake Pleasant for your 101 class?

Old 12-02-2015, 15:57   #10

My Instructor was Steve Schenkel at the Sail Shop. He was incredibly knowledgable, professional, and patient. I now have a lot more confidence in taking my own boat out this year!
Old 12-02-2015, 17:13   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Hello from Montana

Ahhh. Yes I know of him. Tom still runs that shop I think. I sail lake pleasant often in a friends J24. Hope you had fun and enjoyed the nice weather.