Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 22:05   #1

Hello from Milwaukee

Hey everyone!

So the sailing season is winding to a close in the great lakes and now it's time to get back to dreaming about sailing rather than actually being out there. I thought this might be an interesting place to meet up with other Lake Michigan sailors, swap stories and whatever else. I've been sailing for about 5 years now, primarily out of the sailing club in Milwaukee. This year I've done quite a bit more "offshore" (if you can call it that in Lake Michigan) sailing and have been introduced to a lot of new experiences. Anyway, look forward to talking with you all. If anyone is interested, check out my site that's local to Lake Michigan sailors. http://www.milwaukeesailors.com
It's okay if you're not from around these parts, but it's a good way to get in touch with the locals.
mkeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard.
Here's hoping that this Forum can help you overcome your climactic challenge (northern winter).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 13:16   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
I'm a long way from the Great Lakes and have the highest respect for those who can enjoy sailing in less than 80 degree weather. I hope you enjoy the forum.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 10:08   #4

Boat: Pearson 28-1 Blown Away
Hi ! ! Jimmy Also from Milw.. at least the boat sleeps there.. we sailed last week it was 52*'s but then yesterday it was close to 80*'s.. GOTTA love WI.
hdjimmy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 12:51   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Chris,
Welcome to the site and enjoy.
JOHN
Old 13-10-2008, 12:57   #6

Boat: Baba 40
Cool

Hi Chris and Jim. I am also from the Milwaukee area. I live out on lake Nagawicka and have been racing C scows there since 1985. I just bought a Baba 40 down in Racine that needs lots of work on it. You may see us out next summer from South Shore YC if we can get the work done on her. We haven't named it yet. Currently the boat is called Mezzaluna. We are thinking of changing that to Fafaki Tahi.

We just spent this last weekend at the Annapolis show and missed the nice weather here only to have it out there at the same time. The show was great. Got lots of info. Spent a few boat bucks and found where a whole bunch of boat bucks will be spent. Just remember Working on a boat all winter, even tho it is cold helps warm the soul.

Jeff
6string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 07:09   #7

Hey guys. Great to see some other "cold weather" sailors here. Although, the end of this season has been pretty darn good! We went out last Thursday in 72 degrees, 10 knots of wind and calms like I've never seen on Lake Michigan. Beautiful!
I've never sailed on a scow, but they sure look like fun. I'm down at SSYC quite a bit. I imagine that's where I'm going to plant my boat once I find the right one.

Thanks for the greeting SkiprJohn. It's really not so bad sailing in less than 80 degrees. Except for maybe when it's 50 degrees and raining. That is less than pleasant, but otherwise you bundle up, and keep your foulies handy.

Folks from milwaukee, be sure and check out the milwaukee forum. It's starting to pick up some steam now. http://www.milwaukeesailors.com
mkeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 07:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeChris View Post
Hey guys. Great to see some other "cold weather" sailors here. Although, the end of this season has been pretty darn good! We went out last Thursday in 72 degrees, 10 knots of wind and calms like I've never seen on Lake Michigan. Beautiful!
I was down at SSYC last thursday helping a friend haul his boat out for the winter. It was tough spending a day winterizing the boat instead of sailing on such a gorgeous day! I suppose it's better than having to do that work when it's in the 40s and raining though!
skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 08:54   #9

Boat: searching for a 40-45 foot cruiser
hey gents; i was born and raised in delafield between lake nagawicka and lake pewaukee...but have since moved over to London. i imagine wisconsin summers are perfect for sailing, at least better than british "summers" that are consistently 55 and rainy. but at least there always seems to be wind
SailingPassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 11:58   #10

Boat: Baba 40
This was a good summer for wind on Nagawicka. We only had to cancel 4 races out of 35 all summer due to lack of wind and 1 for too much. I was the only one that went out that windy day. We had a great ride. On a C scow we can't reef so it is all or nothing on our sail. We cancel if conditions are 25 steady and gusting. Water was quite cold when we cancelled, maybe 55 degrees, and we didn't have much in the way of chase boats available that early in the season. Most summers we loose more races to a lack of wind than this. It was a great season and I was able to pull off 3rd place for the season out of 21 boats.

What are you sailing in London?

Jeff
6string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 01:44   #11

Boat: searching for a 40-45 foot cruiser
do most of my sailing these days down in the Solent off the South Coast of England around the Isle of Wight. Been spending most of my time on an Elan 37 and an Elan 40. More cruiser/racer type boats, but both boats will get moving with steady wind over the beam. the summer was pretty poor, but we've actually had some very good (and some bad) weekends this fall, so its been good overall.
SailingPassage is offline   Reply With Quote