Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2008, 22:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 "Orion"
Hello from Long Beach, CA

I'm pleased to join such an active correspondent group. We've got a lot of marine activity in Long Beach and Los Angeles, and boast one of the largest commercial ports in the country.
Our yachting activity is constant, what with our pretty much ideal weather. There are almost more yacht clubs in the area than you can count, but most of the activity is cruising to the local islands. As a former east coast sailor, I can say that the cruising is more interesting there, and a bunch more challenging. But our season is endless, and that tends to make up for the less interesting destinations.
My sailing began at age 15 in New Jersey, learning on a "Wood Pussy" 13.5' catboat, not the best for a beginner. I guess my main weakness is that I am a sucker for the old tired boat just crying out for the TLC that all the ads mention. As a result, I have had a lot of boats over my lifetime, from that catboat through a C&C Landfall 38, which was the best, but not way ahead of my Islander 36 before it. With advancing age, I have moved down to something more manageable, a Catalina 30 vintage 1978 but still pretty nice.
Man, I sure run off at the keyboard. That about tells it about me. I look forward to meeting you all on the forums.

Best regards,

Harry
harryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 22:31   #2

Welcome, Harry, from another C30 owner, and a Long Beach resident, as well.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:06   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Harry,
Welcome aboard! I guess we're suckers for the same kind of things. Can't resist looking at old fixer uppers. I think your latest is a good choice for a bit less maintenance.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 12:09   #4

Boat: 1978 Formosa, Yankee Clipper 41'
Send a message via AIM to Capt Roy Send a message via MSN to Capt Roy
Hola Harry,

Welcome aboard! I'm a neighbor just to the north in Marina Del Rey. I too grew up on the east coast, on Cape Cod. Loved sailing the eastern seaboard and look forward to returning soon. Must be a New England thing but I too love those older boats that need a little TLC. My last boat on the east coast was an all wood 36' Alden yawl, what a beauty. I now own a 1977 Formasa 41 and am ready to cut the lines in September for lower latitudes and better attitudes. See you on the water.

Roy
Capt Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 14:19   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Harry, hello from a trawler captain in Wilmington, LA Harbor. C-ya at the Island, Two Harbors that is. Are you in the Down Town marina?
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 17:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 "Orion"
I am continually hull kicking, and my current investigation is a Hallberg Rassey Rasmus 35. There are a couple for sale on the net, but beyond HR's excellent reputation, I know nothing about this model except that it sports a hard top dodger with helm position under and midships. Sounds like a way to stay out of the 'warm California sun".
Do any of you kind responders know anything about this HR model? There are none that I know of in my Alamitos Bay marina.
harryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 00:27   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Harry,
Welcome to the site and hope you find the boat you need. Just be aware whilst the HR's are great, well built go-anywhere cruisers, the centre / part closed cockpit is pretty airless and most using them in hot climates struggle to say cool.
Go sit under one on a hot day for an hour and you'll know what I mean.
Cheers
JOHN