Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 16:06   #1

hello from London

Hi to all.
My second or is it third posting. In London, born in Cape Town, RSA. Lost my marbles long ago, its the permanent grey sky here. According to the stats its been the most sunless month in the recorded history of the UK.
Anyway the plan is to fly over to Florida and buy me the dream boat. I been looking for a while now, all online research and so on. Was planning on doing a delivery, as I am one of them delivery skippers, but the girlfriend has kept a keen eye on the hurricane sites and given the idea a big NO. So i am planning on booking my flight to florida end this month. I am at the stage where i am having second thoughts. I am not sure about spending my cash, $40 000+-. Been looking and looking online but its no use, I realise i have to be in situ. just saw a nice Tayana 37 for $40000. its driving me crazy not getting there yet, wondering if the trip should be posponed for the hurricanes to calm down. anyway just wanted to re-aquaint myself with this site. have i broken any rules yet. i had better read the before you post stickys. fair winds to you all, sailorboyb
sailorboyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 16:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi sailorboyb and Welcome to Cruisers Forum. Doesn't look like you broke any rules so far - LOL. The main one is play nice and everyone around here does that pretty well.

Good luck on your search and althought you are itching to get that boat, don't get too emotional about the boats you see. Lead with the head, follow with the heart.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 17:40   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Sailorboyb,
First - Welcome to the Forum. You will receive many different points on view. Follow Ex-Calif advice - Do not get emotional! Lead with the head. There are many $40,000 s/v on the market. Why play with hurricanes. Why do you tink some of the s/v are for sale? The owners are tired of playing with the hurricanes and the impending storms. It is not fun readying a s/v for a hurricane. Why do you want to sail in dangerous weather? The hurricane season is not the time to cross the Atlantic. Many hurricanes follow the Gulf Stream straight to London. TheAtlantic needs to be crossed at the right time of the year. It is no fun to sail in storm conditions. The s/v for you will be there when the time is right. Did you figure in the cost of insurance and the fee for a surveyor? I think it cost me an additional $5,000 for the surveyor, haulout, and repairs. Good luck on your search. Search with your head and not with your heart.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 21:59   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sailor,
Welcome aboard! Good luck in your search. It seems to me hurricane season is a great time to buy a boat cheaply. You just have to assume that your investment might get blown away. The Tayana 37 is a nice boat.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:15   #5

thanks for the replys

hi, thanks for the tips and doses of logic. its always good to read this forum, so much advise. i will take the tip and lead with the head.
what do you guys think would be the average cost of a survey and haul out.
i am thinking of getting simple 3rd party insurance. any ideas on the pricing. as i understand it, it comes down to boat age and length. so why am i asking silly questions. maybe some good insurance brokers names, if thats allowed.
also trying to find out about the papaerworks involved, is there a set procedure and what would those steps be.?
i have done a bundle of transats over the last few years, is it my imagination or do these hurricanes seem to be getting more frequent and bigger. is this a trend set to continue as the oceans temps seem to be on the up. when is the end of the hurricane window, september, october, nov?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:25   #6

[quote=scallywag;203739]Sailorboyb,
First - Welcome to the Forum. You will receive many different points on view. Follow Ex-Calif advice - Do not get emotional! Lead with the head. There are many $40,000 s/v on the market. Why play with hurricanes. Why do you tink some of the s/v are for sale? The owners are tired of playing with the hurricanes and the impending storms. It is not fun readying a s/v for a hurricane. Why do you want to sail in dangerous weather? The hurricane season is not the time to cross the Atlantic. Many hurricanes follow the Gulf Stream straight to London. TheAtlantic needs to be crossed at the right time of the year. It is no fun to sail in storm conditions. The s/v for you will be there when the time is right. Did you figure in the cost of insurance and the fee for a surveyor? I think it cost me an additional $5,000 for the surveyor, haulout, and repairs. Good luck on your search. Search with your head and not with your heart.

hi john,
wow $5000 to turn the key, what were your costs of just the haulout and survey.? i wont be doing any atlantic crossings until the time is right. i work for one of the delivery companies and have had a few choice words with them re this fact. they pay so little yet the poor sailors doing the crossings are playing with lives. to no avail, there are so many people out there wanting to get sea miles, so in the end i only offer my services when the season is good. anyways i have gotten the experience i wanted and will be looking at other forms of work on the water.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboyb View Post
wow $5000 to turn the key, what were your costs of just the haulout and survey.?
sailorboy - putting some money into a new boat is not unusual. A friend here bought a 40+ footer and ordered a "running rigging kit." Basically just all the sheets and halyards. $18,000!

I put $10,000 into our boat in the first year of ownership.

$5,000 for a 41+ footer like scallywag's is pretty cheap in my opinion.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote