Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24   #1

Hello from London

been lurking for a while and thought better at least join and say hello. Sailed in my younger days a bit on Solent, dayskipper etc, so maybe one step up from novice.

Anyway, keen to rediscover my sea legs and daughter now 9 showing an interest and the Mrs is still enthusiastic if only in fair weather (that may be after a rather chilly trip in early March round IoW many years ago before the little one).

Might take on an older something in a few years when up to speed, and enjoy playing with old cars, have three over 40 years old, two are even roadworthy, so certainly won't be rushing into anything, given the pitfalls out there.

David
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:29   #2

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Hello from London

Welcome to the cult!
Got to see the maritime museum last June...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello from London

Welcome to CF..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome Aboard CF David and Family!

There is an immense amount of helpful information here on CF, along with many experienced sailors who will be happy to offer opinions, advice, and some humor too.

Have fun getting back into sailing and exposing your family to it too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:11   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Hi daugs , old cars ? I love old cars especially MOWOG , Ralt , Lola . Motorcycles , love those too . Back in the 70s' I had this really weird one , to go left and it would only go left you had to turn the bars right and it was considered bad form to use anything less than full throttle . I think a guy named John Alfred Prestwich made the engine and a guy named Alf Hagon made the frame . But that is all long gone, now I have a POS SUV that is my rolling boat box . When it isn't bitter cold, like right now it's 68* Fahrenheit we live on the boat and spend time at Catalina Island . We have been doing that for over 30 yrs. It has become a way of life . David please tell us about the boats that interest you and your plans to become a boating family .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 16:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Hi daugs , old cars ? .............David please tell us about the boats that interest you and your plans to become a boating family .
have a 1959 Austin Healey 3000 and 2 ex military landrovers (airportables) 1974 on the road and 1975 in bits for a rebuild so not scared of older things and reasonably practical but I need to learn a lot more about boats. The plan is for me to do a bit more sailing some with friends and family on holiday, charters on med, maybe with a skipper to start with expectation of a lot of teaching. Luckily the mrs did not watch "all is lost" which was on TV earlier in week (in UK). I have a dream to circumnavigate but that won't be for 10 years until the little one has fledged.

I've been reading some of the crewing threads, and discussions of crew experience etc, I was wondering about it going both ways, especially across the oceans, as to what checks crew do on skipper and boat seaworthyness, as really putting lives in their hands if boat has issues. (I've taken my healey on the track and amazed at how others will take a 60 year old car which they don't maintain (??) and drive at high speed, and I am sure there are similar in the sailing world).

As to boats, my ideal would be a reasonably performing monohull, so can have a bit of fun, and feel we are getting there, and reasonable space so 40ft ish maybe bit more. I've had several separate days on rather a slow ketch, and while comfortable it took forever, and for me the engine is only to get in and out of berth. Will need 3 cabins at least allowing 1 for skipper/crew/coach. Less worried about brand etc, a nice boat is a nice boat, if taking the family out then needs to be properly equiped and we all need to know how to sail. A scan of the ads suggests we will have lots of choice in due course, but that's a long way off. Plans may change and one step at a time doing rather than too much planning too far ahead.
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:01   #7

I think that so.
Carlim5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:08   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carlim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote