Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 17:05   #1

Hello from Ivory Moon

Hi

We are a recent registration, but long time readers of this forum. My wife and I have been living aboard our 1989 Island Packet 35 (Ivory Moon) for 9 years, while we sailed from the US to the Caribbean, to Europe, and most recently, eastwards from Europe to Asia via the Red Sea Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean to return home to Australia. Less of a cruise than a delivery trip, this one.

As we have moved from here to there we have dug into the forum for information and insights, and we are grateful for the value we got from it, so its time we offered our support with membership!

All the best,

Jeff & Lelia
Ivory Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 17:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hello from Ivory Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Moon View Post
Hi

We are a recent registration, but long time readers of this forum. My wife and I have been living aboard our 1989 Island Packet 35 (Ivory Moon) for 9 years, while we sailed from the US to the Caribbean, to Europe, and most recently, eastwards from Europe to Asia via the Red Sea Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean to return home to Australia. Less of a cruise than a delivery trip, this one.

As we have moved from here to there we have dug into the forum for information and insights, and we are grateful for the value we got from it, so its time we offered our support with membership!

All the best,

Jeff & Lelia
Howdy and Welcome Aboard Jeff & Lelia!

I am sure you will add to the great mix of sailors here, and your experiences will be valued by all, especially by those will less cruising experience. It is very good community, made even better with participation.

Have fun in the forum!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 18:57   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Welcome aboard IM! Glad to have another offshore cruiser contributing here. Your "wrong way" delivery should be interesting!

And where in Oz is your home port gonna be?

Jim
Old 10-11-2016, 03:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff & Lelia.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Jeff and Leila, Welcome to the community. I do like that name, "Ivory Moon". I imagine that Island Packet hull color carries it well. Keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I'm with Hudson... Great name... Welcome to CF!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 15:37   #7

Thanks for the welcome. We have not settled on a home port in Australia, we are going to have to turn our minds to that soon, but up until now our voyage home has consumed all our energies! Its a bit difficult because we have family in both Melbourne and Brisbane - Jim, should we consider MB?

We are only the 3rd owners of our boat since new (1989) and we were happy to adopt this name which the second owner gave her. We really like it and it does fit the boat.

Jeff
Ivory Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:57   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Its a bit difficult because we have family in both Melbourne and Brisbane
As a sailor, I certainly know which one I'd choose on the basis of weather and cruising grounds.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:07   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. We have not settled on a home port in Australia, we are going to have to turn our minds to that soon, but up until now our voyage home has consumed all our energies! Its a bit difficult because we have family in both Melbourne and Brisbane - Jim, should we consider MB?

We are only the 3rd owners of our boat since new (1989) and we were happy to adopt this name which the second owner gave her. We really like it and it does fit the boat.

Jeff
Jeff, since I've never sailed in the Melbourne area, I can't make a meaningful comparison. The climate is certainly nicer in the Brisbane/Moreton Bay area, at least by my standards, and that would steer me in that direction.

But then, Moreton Bay is kinda boring as a sailing venue, and there aren't so many nearby cruising destinatons that appeal to me. Melbourne, however, is in striking range of Tasmania's northern coast, and Tassie is one of the world's great cruising grounds... at least in the summer!

So, it will obviously depend upon what kinda life style you will take up when you return... and will you be living aboard or ashore? There is a decent live-aboard community in the Manly harbour, spread between the four marinas there. I've heard that there are not so many in the Melbourne area, but no real knowledge to back up that rumour.

It has been so many years since Ann and I lived a "normal" land based life that we are not very good advisors, I fear!

I'd be glad to answer any specific questions that fall into my limited region of knowledge, Jeff, if that would be of any help.

Jim
Old 12-11-2016, 14:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But then, Moreton Bay is kinda boring as a sailing venue, and there aren't so many nearby cruising destinatons that appeal to me. Melbourne, however, is in striking range of Tasmania's northern coast, and Tassie is one of the world's great cruising grounds... at least in the summer!
Bne - Frazer is only half the distance of Melbourne - Tassie Nth Coast - and generally better sailing conditions.

And once you are in the GSS, the Whitsundays are only a couple of hundred miles further north. And that's good cruising all year round
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Bne - Frazer is only half the distance of Melbourne - Tassie Nth Coast - and generally better sailing conditions.

And once you are in the GSS, the Whitsundays are only a couple of hundred miles further north. And that's good cruising all year round
Gee, I dunno, Stu...

Depending upon exact routes, Melbourne to Devonport is ~225 miles. Manly to Airlie is ~550. Agreed that the trip north to the Whitsundays is easy sailing but the return can be problematic. Bass Sts can be a LOT more problematic if on a schedule... for sure! But patience is rewarded, and it can be pretty decent going either way if you can wait a few days (weeks?).

And really (I know I'll get blasted for this opinion) while pleasant surroundings, the Whitsundays are over crowded to my tastes, there are restrictive rules in some areas regarding activities, and for nearly half the year there is the worry of cyclonic activity, with damn few refuge anchorages, and those likely to be seriously crowded.

In season, I find Tassie more to my liking, and if tropical venues are needed (and they are to me) the trip from Southport to Noumea is not much longer than that to the Whitsundays, and I'm quite fond of NCal.

But, in the long run, the choice is driven not by what I like, but what Ivory Moon's life demands of him and his family. Of course, that should agree with my opinions, but perhaps will not... I can live with that.

(Please folks, the above sentence is intended as humour... don't take it seriously.)

Jim