Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 13:05   #1

Boat: Achilles 24
Send a message via Yahoo to dtynan
Hello from Ireland

Greetings to one and all from a wet and windy Ireland.

New to this forum, but not so new to sailing.

Planning on replacing the Achilles 24 with something a bit bigger, and leaving here while the lights are still on.

Did the ARC at the end of 2009 and spent another few weeks sailing in the Caribbean (SEB - someone else's boat) and still haven't gotten used to being back home.
dtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:30   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Hello from Ireland

Tell me, have the Irish domestic money woes made boats cheaper there, or marinas less expensive?

Yes, Kinsale, I'm looking at you.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtynan View Post
Greetings to one and all from a wet and windy Ireland.

New to this forum, but not so new to sailing.

Planning on replacing the Achilles 24 with something a bit bigger, and leaving here while the lights are still on.

Did the ARC at the end of 2009 and spent another few weeks sailing in the Caribbean (SEB - someone else's boat) and still haven't gotten used to being back home.
Not trying to be funny or nosey but are you selling up and going or just buying a bigger boat for a trip to the Med...
Oh.. is the Achilles a bilge or fin keeler...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not trying to be funny or nosey but are you selling up and going or just buying a bigger boat for a trip to the Med...

Oh.. is the Achilles a bilge or fin keeler...
'scuse my slow head, but I'm not getting the distinction? We're looking for a bigger boat, something we can live aboard (yeah, I know, 24 feet is enough, but not for two IMHO).

And yeah, we're looking at leaving. Head south until the butter melts, that's the plan.

The Achilles is a fin keeler, with an inboard diesel.
Old 24-02-2011, 15:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Tell me, have the Irish domestic money woes made boats cheaper there, or marinas less expensive?

Not that you'd notice. Still oodles of boltholes and anchorages on the west coast, if you can get up that far. Loads of unspoilt locations for those who don't mind ducking for cover or who want their topdecks cleaned with gallons of Atlantic rain.

As for the boats, I can't say that I've noticed much of a trend one way or the other. Our nouveau riche generally preferred Range Rover Sports and 6 metre RIBs to sailboats, so it's never been a sellers market, and nothing's changed on that front.
Old 24-02-2011, 15:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
'scuse my slow head, but I'm not getting the distinction? We're looking for a bigger boat, something we can live aboard (yeah, I know, 24 feet is enough, but not for two IMHO).

And yeah, we're looking at leaving. Head south until the butter melts, that's the plan.

The Achilles is a fin keeler, with an inboard diesel.
Sorry mate.. I read the OP as a singular... ie solo... was gonna suggest going S in the Achilles mooching down looking at boats and finding a good deal in Spain... a dead or dying dream... the Achilles would get a local buyer for sure down this way..
However... more than one I'll agree.. you'll need bigger...
Have you stuck a post in the Classifieds on here... there's a few Irish/Brit members on here and one post can spread by word of mouth.. a pic of out and inside... brief inventory.. nearly as good as a dedicated site...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 24-02-2011, 15:58   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm with you there, bypassed it last year and the same for this.
Aim to get into Dun Laoghaire 1st May, collect GF and dog from the Holyhead ferry and then south and west towards Glandore, time to visit Mum again.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 20:12   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Not that you'd notice. Still oodles of boltholes and anchorages on the west coast, if you can get up that far. Loads of unspoilt locations for those who don't mind ducking for cover or who want their topdecks cleaned with gallons of Atlantic rain.

As for the boats, I can't say that I've noticed much of a trend one way or the other. Our nouveau riche generally preferred Range Rover Sports and 6 metre RIBs to sailboats, so it's never been a sellers market, and nothing's changed on that front.
Fair enough. I was last in Dublin in '95, right at the start of the current nonsense, and I seriously thought of getting a townhouse near the university for 60,000 euros. Had a garage and all.

Instead I bought a boat back in Canada. Oh, well, one day I'll sail back!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 03:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Have you stuck a post in the Classifieds on here... there's a few Irish/Brit members on here and one post can spread by word of mouth.. a pic of out and inside... brief inventory.. nearly as good as a dedicated site...
Will do, but in the process of cleaning her up, putting on the coffee and spraying "smell of freshly baked bread" throughout, before taking some pictures and officially putting her on the market.

We've noticed a strong trend that people want to see boats in their pristine, ready-for-the-water mode, rather than with the hatches all opened up, cushions and sails stowed indoors, etc. Seems pretty shortsighted to us, but there ya go. She'll be antifouled and looking like new before we put her on the market.
Old 25-02-2011, 03:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Aim to get into Dun Laoghaire 1st May, collect GF and dog from the Holyhead ferry and then south and west towards Glandore, time to visit Mum again.
Glandore is a sweet place. Many happy memories. Castlehaven is worth a visit, too. Then again, that little stretch of West Cork coastline has any number of places to drop the hook or pick up a visitor mooring. Apart from "crosser" and Kinsale, of course.
Old 25-02-2011, 04:41   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Glandore is a sweet place. Many happy memories. Castlehaven is worth a visit, too. Then again, that little stretch of West Cork coastline has any number of places to drop the hook or pick up a visitor mooring. Apart from "crosser" and Kinsale, of course.
I'm guessing crosser is Crosshaven, marina cost there did not seem to bad, unless I'm going on old info, not been before, but as the GF is with us, she tends to want a few creature comforts on the way.
Arklow is cheap, always tie up in the fish harbour, 10 euro for two nights, and at Kilmore, I sailed with the HM during my days in Esso, so thats cheap for me as well.
Glandore is real nice, if the visitors buoys are busy, I have access to a private mooring, Mum sweet talked the landlord of the pub in finding something.
Hope to get on to Clear Island and then explore a bit around Balitmore, and if the GF is up for it, up to Innish Mor, home of my hero Father Ted
Old 25-02-2011, 05:41   #12

Quote:
I'm guessing crosser is Crosshaven
Yep. Nice place, but can be a bit "blazer"-y at times.

Quote:
Hope to get on to Clear Island and then explore a bit around Balitmore, and if the GF is up for it, up to Innish Mor, home of my hero Father Ted
I love Cape Clear. The quay wall in the North Harbour is a bit of a pain, though. As for Inis Mor, you could be invoking the wrath of the islanders, as Inis Iar lays claim to Ted. They have resorted to a soccer match in recent years to decide who has the natural claim. I'm with Inis Iar (the smaller island) as that's where that shipwreck from the opening credits is beached. But, that's deeply rooted politics.
Old 25-02-2011, 06:02   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yep. Nice place, but can be a bit "blazer"-y at times.

I love Cape Clear. The quay wall in the North Harbour is a bit of a pain, though. As for Inis Mor, you could be invoking the wrath of the islanders, as Inis Iar lays claim to Ted. They have resorted to a soccer match in recent years to decide who has the natural claim. I'm with Inis Iar (the smaller island) as that's where that shipwreck from the opening credits is beached. But, that's deeply rooted politics.

I've seen the footy matches on the dvd. The beached wreck always had me confused, as like you say, the charts show the wreck on Inis Iar.
Whats the South Harbour like in Clear Island, I know its anchoring only, or are there any moorings there, is beach access for the dink good. Pub/Food??
Old 25-02-2011, 06:13   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Will do, but in the process of cleaning her up, putting on the coffee and spraying "smell of freshly baked bread" throughout, before taking some pictures and officially putting her on the market.

We've noticed a strong trend that people want to see boats in their pristine, ready-for-the-water mode, rather than with the hatches all opened up, cushions and sails stowed indoors, etc. Seems pretty shortsighted to us, but there ya go. She'll be antifouled and looking like new before we put her on the market.
Thats a definite plus for folks like myself who have to fly in and view/buy...
I always rather look at a boat I can jump on and set sail back home to Portugal in a couple of days rather than a fortnight or so of cleaning and preping for a quick run across the Bay....
even if it might be a tad shabbier than another at the same price...

Old 25-02-2011, 06:31   #15

Quote:
Whats the South Harbour like in Clear Island, I know its anchoring only, or are there any moorings there, is beach access for the dink good. Pub/Food??
Never tried the South Harbour. Invariably the wrong weather for it. If you get there moderately late in the day, and are leaving early, the ferry boat will let you raft up beside them in the North Harbour. A good excuse to be gone, first thing.

Tags
Ireland