Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2009, 10:28   #1

Boat: No Boat :(
Hello from Iowa (Yes, Iowa)

I know when you think of Iowa you don't think sailing. We have a few reservoirs and lakes. I grew up near a lake and my family always had a boat. I learned to swim and ski and bake in the sun. But I never learned to sail. So I signed up for a class. It will be interesting to see if I, like many of you "get hooked." I look forward to meeting all of you.
IowaBoatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 10:37   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
IowaBoatGirl,
Get ready to have your world rocked, sailing is a blast! Please keep us in the loop, we love sailing stories.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 10:49   #3

That's what I hear. It must be a blast. I loved being in the boat as a small child and speeding across the water. When we moved away from the lake every weekend we could, we took our boat down the Mississippi River. We spent half the day going north and half coming back. We stopped to eat somewhere or had a picnic on the shore. Saw bands playing in the summer on shore..it was a blast. They are some of the happiest days of my life. (I also happen to love driving too...but that's another forum.) Good to meet you Ocean.
Old 19-06-2009, 11:44   #4

Boat: Catalina 30
IowaBoatGirl,

Probably the most amazing thing to me...ever...meaning it burned into my brain forever was the day I went out on a sailboat and the owner shut the engine off. With only the sound of the wind and the lapping of the waves against the hull we were sliding through the water... I thought "Wow! I could do this for the rest of my life!!" and I have...every since

The second "locking experience" was on my own boat back in the 80's...a 38 footer coming around the island of Kauai at about midnight. Wind was from the stern, there was a full moon out...dolphins running along side, island coming up in the distance... it was like being on a rocking horse or merry-go-round...I still can't get the smile of elation off my face....but then...I'm a romantic.

Happy sailing to you and welcome aboard.
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 11:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum....would be interesting to get your impressions after you start your lessons....new eyes and all!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 12:01   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Iowa,

Welcome aboard! I'll bet you get the bug too. I second what ixtlan said. Sailing to or from or around Hanalei, Kauai is certain to give you many good memories.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:21   #7

Welcome Iowa B-G !

Don't feel bad....I'm stuck in Kansas City right now as landlocked as ever! Missing the sweet smell of ocean and dreaming of a quick return to the west coast and hawaii soon!

David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:49   #8

Ixtlan
I am not likely going to be owning my own boat and I don't see myself doing anything so exciting but I do think moving silently through the water without the noise of a motor will be a thrill.

James
I will keep everyone informed about how this novice sees and experiences everything. Maybe I will remind you and the rest of how it was in the beginning. I look forward to telling my tales.

SkiprJohn
I would love to go to Hawai'i some day but for now I think Iowa will have to do. It was a stretch just to take the class. But I will do as much as I can and try to bum some time on other's boats.

Happy sailing to you all and thank you for the warm welcomes!
Old 19-06-2009, 14:58   #9

David,
Kansas City, eh? LOL Boy the midwest must be tough for a real sailor. I feel for you. I've not been on the ocean have only looked at it from dry land. I swam in it a couple times. I don't know..its sooo big..lol. Thanks for the welcome. We will have to keep in touch so we can whine about our pitiful locations. Actually I love Iowa. I love everywhere but this has always been home. I traveled a lot in US but its nice to come home.
Old 19-06-2009, 17:36   #10

Boat: Farrier f27
I was from South Dakota and I got my gills wet.
In a lot of ways the ocean's not a lot different with WIDE OPEN spaces which I think is a big part of it's appeal for me!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 18:01   #11

I miss the smell of the ocean, the sound of the seagulls and the seals as you enter and exit the harbor.....that sizzling sound ( like a hiss) that a wave makes when it lands on shore. I miss diving for freah scallops and catching huge fish to eat that night! I could go on and on! Ok One last one, The sounds of the rigging banging on the masts in a harbor.... sigh.... :-)

David
Old 19-06-2009, 20:12   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Kairoskona,
get you butt to the water, your exhibiting classic symptoms of a missthewateritis-it can get worse if you don't heed the early warning signs.
I spent 8 long years away from the water, I never want to do that again.
May you feel the sand in your toes, hear the tinkling of the halyards, and the spay on your face soon,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 11:59   #13

Randy
Wow, South Dakota. That is rough. That big lake north of Pierre seems great for sailing but if you aren't near there..oh well. I do like big open fields of grass and long roads that you can see miles in every direction. Maybe you have something there.

David,

You do sound love sick for the ocean. But I find that when you are in a different place you have to not compare it to what you miss, but see it for what beauty it has. Every place I've traveled has its wonderful charm from Alabama to Oregon and even Ohio. That said, I generally find the best cure for living in a boring place...is to leave...often...lol. That's why I do. Have a great day if you can.

Ocean,

Sorry...only can remember two names..was it erika? You sound like someone who knows. I wonder if an Iowa girl will ever take to the ocean. We'll see.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 20-06-2009, 12:46   #14

I did go to Lake of the Ozarks and had a great time. Rented a pontoon boat and just motored up and down the lake. It was refreshing. Still not the ocean though. The trouble is, once it has captured your heart, you can't let it go....it keeps calling, and calling.

I think the only way to stop it is to GO!! :-)

I continue to read these threads, look at pics, listen to my slack key guitar CD's, watch videos, and dreeeaaammm !

David
Old 22-02-2011, 10:23   #15
PRO

Re: Hello from Iowa (Yes, Iowa)

Hi,

I'm also a newcomer to this site. At least a few Iowans involved I see. I'm in the east central, almost on the Mississippi. Where are you? Drop a note and say hi if you like.

Paul
PRO is offline   Reply With Quote