Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 14:41   #1

Hello From Hawaii! Looking to learn!

Aloha everyone!

I have had this long standing dream of sailing, and living in Hawaii (oahu) just makes the dream even stronger! I have not much experience on any types of boats, but i pick up stuff very quick!

I realize you can take some ASA classes - which i should do, but I would like to find someone who would be willing to teach me the ropes (hehe i mean lines) so to speak. The correct woring for every little thing, the types of maintenance they personally do on the boat, marina/boat etiquette etc.

I was thinking of just taking a walk down thru the marinas one weekend and start talking to some people, or is that a "no no"? I do want to take the lessons, but i want to make sure I even like it - or can get a grip of it before I spent some money.
Nickelrw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello From Hawaii! Looking to learn!

Welcome to the forum. I lived on the Big island for a number of years and joined a sailing club there. A great way to meet like minded people and catch a ride now and again. The sailing club I belonged to had a fleet of Lasers, Walkerbay sailers and a hand full of Hobie monohulls. Aside from that, go to Amazon and find some how to books.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:06   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Check in at a yacht club and join a crew for racing. IIRC the Waikiki race is Wednesday or Thursday evening.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:43   #4

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Nick,

Well, Aloha, E komo mai

We lived on Kauai for 9 years as full time residents until about 1.5 years ago. We are avid sailors and joined the Nawiliwili Yacht club, but we no longer were boat owners. We tried crewing on some of the races, but that turned out not to be what we were looking for. That was just us.

However, I applaud you desiring to learn seaman ship, proper nomenclature, and sailing especially from skilled seaman / sailors.

Also, pick up some basic sailing books and take a comprehensive course,, ASA is a good plan, or a well respected sailing club or school.

You can walk the docks, and meet people and ask them for some suggestions and they may be able to help you as to what what organizations to contact. Go with the most professional. Be warry of the warfrats, hanging at the marina bars. Really check out anyone who talks faster than his top siders can run.

For sure visit sailing schools there on Oahu. and talk to them. Take all of that information and make an informed decision. Main thing is to start, and begin your quest.

Stop by a yacht club or two, and talk to them as well. Sailors are pretty great on helping out others. The yacht club may have instruction programs, or point you the right direction. For sure they will have a racing program and race skippers are often looking for crew.

Living Kauai our sailing would have been very limited since we did not own a boat. The Nawiliwili YC had a few lazers, but we have a lot of sailing experience, as I was a sailing instructor, charter skipper, delivery skipper, and flotila leader on international cruises in the south pacific and caribbean.
We wanted larger cruising boats.

From Kauai the passage distances between islands, and the very limited ports of call on Kauai, and the winter months huge surf slamming into the north shore reduced our sailing to bareboating in Australia, Tahiti, the Caribbean and Ireland. We were on our own just the two of us.

In the early years, around 35 years ago, we did a lot of sailing out of Newport Beach, Ca, coastal, and passages to our off shore channel islands, and also lots of fun day sails. Then all that worked into international sailing vacations.

Originally I joined an excellent sailing club, and the instruction was superb and very demanding.

I read, studied, took the lessons, and tests, and check outs which included docking 30 plus footers under sail, single handed. I took my learning of seamanship and all that surrounds sailing very seriously.

34 plus years later, I have a 500 ton master U.S.C.G. License, ( 5th issue ) and I still learn new things. You will never stop learning as there are so many more aspects to sailing, than just climbing on board and putting the sails up.

With a good sailing club, other factors will come into effect as well, structured lessons, other peoples boats to use, no large layout of cash, and finding new friends to sail and associate with.

We have bonds with sailing friends that have lasted to this very day from long, long years back. The best was/ is, my soul mate Erica, who was one of my students 34 years ago. She is also an avid sailor, highly knowledgeable and capable, and the best thing that has ever come into my life, or will. Never know where how life's different choices and paths will take you.

E komo mai to sailing, and to hawaii.

What a grand life style.

Denny
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:18   #5

Thanks so much everyone for the awesome replies. I actually just started reading a navigation book i forget the name, but its pretty old. From the 70's i think.

I am super excited and i just want to get going already haha
Nickelrw87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii