Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2008, 10:34   #1

Boat: Precision - 18 ft
Hello from Georgia

Hello:

We are new to the site and just wanted to say hello. Three months ago we purchased an 18 foot Precision and have been sailing on local lakes. I have previously had a 22 foot power boat (I offer my apologies to all - I just did not know any better). Bren grew up on sail boats. We are loving this little boat and have plans to move up to a 27 to 32 foot boat soon (to keep at the beach) In 5 to 6 years we hope to be living on a 45+ boat.

We are planning on attending the Sail Boat Show in St. Petersburg the first week in December to look at lots of different styles and sizes of boats. We have lots of questions about monohulls vs. cats (for those who are living on boats) and questions about rental programs (specifically should we consider buying a new boat now, put it a rental pool for 5 years until we are ready to live on it).

We are a couple in our mid 40's and looking to move into a boating lifestyle. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Tony (and Bren)
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 13:35   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome, Tony and Bren.

Good to have you here! There have been numerous discussions on the issues you mentioned. Try our custom search engine--it works better than the button on the CF webpages: Cruisers & Sailing Forum

There's plenty of expertise here, so ask away when ready!
Old 02-09-2008, 16:39   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tony and Bren,
Welcomea aboard! Good to have you here. Sailing is fun!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27   #4

Location: Atlanta, GA, Beaufort, SC, and San Antonio, TX; member of Atlanta Yacht Club and Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club
Boat: Flicka 20 - "Jubilee" (formerly Herreshoff 12 1/2 - "Myrdie"
Bring your Precision 18 to Classic Boat Rally

The Precision 18 is a perfect boat for the Classic Boat Rally, held every April on the GA and SC coast. We sail up the ICW, stopping every night at a yacht club or marina, ending in Charleston. We do about 30 mikles a day. Please take a look at www.ClassicBoatRally.com for the dates and plans for 2009. This is a total blast of sailing comraderie and an opportunity to cruise and race, with an element of adventure, in the gorgeous and historic Lowcoountry without breaking the bank. You will also refine your navigation and piloting skills. It's a short hop to our starting place, Fedrnandina Beach, FL, from Athens.

Woody
Woody Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 17:25   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I have previously had a 22 foot power boat (I offer my apologies to all - I just did not know any better)
Welcome! Nice to have someone in here that knows what the 40 watt club is, although I haven't been there since it was a storefront across from the DAV. (I ran sound around Athens in the 70's.)

And watch the cracks about power boats. There are a few of us stinkpots in here. We're way in the minority, but they seem to tolerate us...

Disclaimer: I, too, am considering a change to sail. Might be a few years...

Anyway, pull up a chair and sit a spell... (And that might be one hint that I'm a native Georgian.)

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 17:37   #6

Boat: Hartley Tasman 27'3" Kaea (50/50 motor sailor) & Laurent Giles GK24 IOR 1/4 tonner
My advice for when you move up to the 27-32 foot range, is make it somewhere in the 30-32 foot range and skip the 45+ option.

Most of the people who have remained liveaboards long term have either picked a boat of around 30 feet, or downsized to one that size.

All things being equal, a 45 foot boat is over three times the size of a thirty footer, as is the maintenance time and cost, berthing costs etc..
stuartcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 18:36   #7

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Tony & Bren,

Welcome aboard, Lots of good lakes to sail in around Athens for sailing and it's a fairly short drive to the Atlantic or Gulf Coast.

You may be a power boaters but you can't be all bad .... After all, you do live in Athens. GO DAWGS!

Bill A. ..... UGA, class(s) of 1973/1983
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 06:40   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
TonyD,

Welcome to the forum. Good step going small, and getting in some time sailing. Use the boat as much as you can. As your skills move forward then you too move forward in stronger weather.

I took 40 hours in lessons, and then bought my first boat. A 30 ft Columbia. I am from the S.F. Bay Area, so my skills were sharpened there. In the beginning there were days I would not go out, because I felt it was above my skills. In 18 months I felt I had enough skill I left alone for Mexico. I survived it, and returned to Calif. wanting a bigger boat.

Why bigger you might ask. First I was in some snotty weather, and longer waterlines were already in a safe harbor while I was taking a beating. 2nd you will find that for most people more room makes them happier. Me being one of them. Some do cruise for years under 30ft, and I admire their decision.

My thinking is get as large as you are comfortable with, and can afford to upkeep. Only you can make the decision what footage that is. Boat berthing is by the foot, so if you pay $300 for a 30ft boat. You will pay $450 for a 45 ft. boat. It does cost much more to maintain a larger boat, because you have larger parts.

BEST WISHES in fulfilling your dream, and finding the proper boats to serve you well.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 00:50   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'day Guys,
Can I add my welcome and wish you luck in deciding which type of boat you depart on - just don't forget the ultimate plan and go!
Cheers
JOHN

Tags
georgia