Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 08:43   #1

Boat: GibSea 38 - Cheyenne
Hello from Fort Lauderdale, FL!

My husband (Tony) and I are avid sailors who live aboard on a canal in the "Venice of America." We sail the coast while in port and sailed and spent time in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas. Our next "big sail" is scheduled for November '09 and we are intending to sail to Guatemala. We've heard great things about the Rio Dulce and are looking forward to our journey. I will be searching the site for information concerning the most viable route.

Cheyenne, our Gib Sea 38, is a standard sloop, though Tony has fitted her out with many upgrades: 3 large solar panels, separate house and engine batteries, upgraded GPS and Radar, as well as an electric windless, among many other electronic and practical upgrades for cruising.

Tony is nearly a life-time sailor who sailed with 2 crew from Cape Town, South Africa to Brazil, then single-handed up through the islands, staying a year at St. Martin, ending in the Bahamas and then Florida, where work is available. He is a marine engineer. We met on the internet and married in 2005.

I look forward to intelligent and informative communication with the members of Cruisers Forum.

Kat~ : )
katwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 09:53   #2
jkd

Welcome to the forum Kat.
I'm in Ft. lauderdale area as well. Currently boatless but looking at cats.
Good luck in your search for info and hope your trip goes well.

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 10:01   #3

Hi Kat,

Like John, I'm in Lauderdale as well, just west of you on the North fork of the New River. Welcome to the forum. You will find it's a great resource for all things sailing.

Steve
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 10:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome Kat....Intelligent AND informative conversation......how about lets start with flip and glib and see how it shapes up.

Looking forward to hearing about your Guatemala plans.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 23:22   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum
Spent about 3 months up in the Rio Dulce, but it was well over ten years ago so my info would be out dated for you.
BUT, be sure to take a boat ride up river to check out the hot springs and then about a 30-40 minute hike into the jungle you'll find a beautiful cave that have waterfalls inside. Sorry can't remember the name of the cave but just ask around, the locals know where its at.
This cave is well worth the hike (wear shoes and bring a waterproof flashlight cause you'll swim part of the way). Once you reach the cave mouth, you have to swim into the cave, and navigate around huge stalactites and stalagmites (too cool). Then you will come upon a beach inside the cave, walk up the beach and you will find a waterfall jetting like a giant faucet straight out of a big wall of rock (a horizontal stream). Its the most amazing thing I have ever seen. There are four inner waterfalls but I was only able to see one due to our flashlights acting up (that cave gives new meaning to pitch black!). Be sure to talk to the cruisers that have explored the cave to get a better understanding of what you will encounter.
Have fun on the Rio Dulce,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 05:50   #6

Boat: GibSea 38 - Cheyenne
Thank you!

It's been wonderful realizing how many people are here who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge of Rio Dulce. Reading the posts and advice has increased my excitement at the prospect of this voyage!

Thank you all so much!

Kat~ : )
katwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 19:16   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kat and Tony,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here.
regards,

Tags
fort lauderdale, Guatemala, repairs, sailing, writing, Gib'Sea