Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2012, 13:32   #16

Boat: Majesty 88 foot
Re: Hello from Dubai

Sorry guys, one crazy competitor here in Dubai seemed not to be able to handle our competition and somehow managed to add malware to my website, problem is currently solved by my website host.

Again my apologies for it, I will keep a very good eye on it, some people are acting in a way that is not correct, sorry again.

All the best.
Old 29-03-2012, 13:58   #17

Boat: too many

Welcome back Chris, sounds like some heated competition. I'll ask my question again, I'm a CMA grad, did you go the Academy route?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 01:14   #18

Boat: Majesty 88 foot

Graduated in 2009 for my master at Emirates International Maritime Academy here in Dubai.
Have been most of my sea time on yachts.
Pays better on yachts
Old 30-03-2012, 01:35   #19

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismol View Post
Graduated in 2009 for my master at Emirates International Maritime Academy here in Dubai.
Have been most of my sea time on yachts.
Pays better on yachts
Does it really? In the past my union MM&P always told us we were on parity with our counterparts in the airline industry. Now they were saying this 15 years ago and I had a tennis partner who flew the LAX~Hawaii route making 50% more than I at that time. Today, Merchant salary has not gone up, but airline captains have come down to our scale. I think MM&P must of been psychic, and could read the future. I'll tell you mine as it is well known anyway on this forum, on US flagged $20K~<$30K per month of deployment plus transportation, lodging and meals enroute to the terminal.

I think you will like this forum, as cruising forums go, we have a disproportionately large commercial segment of mariners.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 16:44   #20

Just registered to say I got a bad virus from one of the Dubai yacht manufacturer's websites or maybe the "Boat Show" link on one of them. I was using Chrome and didn't click on anything except maybe to install the plugin to see the yacht's interior in 360 view, which worked fine after installing. (but this was on -what I thought- was one of the biggest yacht manufacturer's websites - Gulf Coast - so you wouldn't think they would be infecting people)

Anyway, Chrome (all windows, all tabs) just all of the sudden closed instantly, but everything looked normal. I figured I needed a reboot anyway and upon boot up, everything went crazy - system problems, major hard drive errors, system popups - and half of my icons, quick start bar, and about 100 installed programs just disappeared - no control panel, task manager, antivirus, etc. nothing worked.

Turns out it was the "System Check" virus and the sob took me almost 3 hours to get rid of and restore everything! I'm running a couple different anti-virus & anti-malware programs and they let it right on through...

Just letting you know... and no more Dubai website browsing for me!

LE
Texas
FishinDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:06   #21

Boat: none at the moment

Hello Chris,

I plan to open a small yacht charter business in Dubai but I know almost nothing about the authorisations required by Dubai authorities in this respect. Do you have any comment / advise on this issue regarding how much birocracy could it be? Are there high entry barriers for such a thing?

During my visit here I see no sailing charter boats available on Dubai coast. Is there any particular reason for this or there is simply no demand for such boats ?

Sorry in advance if my questions are so long and not particularly on the marine side but may be you could help me with a few words.

Many thanks in advance!

All the best,
Marius
marius72 is offline   Reply With Quote