Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:17   #16

Boat: Duncanson 37
Re: Hello from downunder

Hi ya! Yes Im ozzie as well.Central QLd Heading futher to FNQ in next few months great trade winds now...has anyone been to Cape York?? Any mermaids up there I wonder??
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hi Suncoast welcome from an other Ozzie I am up in FNQ an just love being near the reef looking forward to seeing you in Paradise one day soon. Set your sights on Lizard Island it is an Australian Icon !!!!! Cheers Jacko

Jacko is Lizard island good for a base to find some diving spots?
Old 11-05-2012, 22:59   #18

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
Jacko is Lizard island good for a base to find some diving spots?
Hi Southace it is alive with fish and coral all around the Island and the smaller surounding islands. do remember you are only approx 12nm from the world famouse Cod Hole where the cod are as big as 6yr old children and you can pat them they come up to you. On the north eastern side there is a great drop off and under water caves so good fun there, make shure you have good under water camera as you will want to take home the memories. Dont miss Coconut Beach and Blue Lagoon. See you there in October come over for a drink Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 19:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hi Southace it is alive with fish and coral all around the Island and the smaller surounding islands. do remember you are only approx 12nm from the world famouse Cod Hole where the cod are as big as 6yr old children and you can pat them they come up to you. On the north eastern side there is a great drop off and under water caves so good fun there, make shure you have good under water camera as you will want to take home the memories. Dont miss Coconut Beach and Blue Lagoon. See you there in October come over for a drink Cheers Jacko
Thanks for the Info Jacko, I have had a google on the Island and it seems just a resort and a marine bio station, I cant find info about supplys? Is it a private island? Im a diver have all my kit but cant afford thre compressor just yet so I look for re-fills or hire tanks x 10 Im getting the feeling theres no dive shop there?? I geuss I have had it to easy in the past....haha

I hope you can help with more info and would defentlily be up for a drink in october! cheers
Old 15-05-2012, 14:26   #20

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hi Southace you are right about the too easy bit !!!!! The resort at Lizard is very private and does not welcome visitors so it is a no go zone, I know of peole having tanks filled at the watersports office but at $20 a time so they dont really like to do it. Yes you are right there is no dive shop the last one is back in Cairns I dout if you will get tanks filled in Cook town. The snorkling around Lizard is amazing so very few people dive around there if I was you I would save my tanks to go out to the Cod Hole to dive with the massive cod out there and enjoy the endless reef that is easy to be part of from the surface.
You can get resupplied with food and that is the same as Flinders Island via Woolies in Cairns and comes up on the barge every two weeks. ( you are in for some new experiances) the Marlin Bar which is the staff bar is open for boaties several nights a week and you can get bistro food and plenty of beer but dont plan to buy bulk beer there as last year it was $60 a case make sure you have your own onboard and visit the Bar just to have a few drinks. There is freash water available.
What type of boat do you have and what size. Good luck Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 14:53   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

If you get to Lizard Is DO NOT MISS DIVING THE COD HOLD.

It is possibly the best but certainly one of the best big fish DIVES IN THE WORLD and easy to access.

Do not miss it and allow plenty of time for more than one dive.

So many miss the side trip only dropping in at Lizard.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 14:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko
Hi Southace you are right about the too easy bit !!!!! The resort at Lizard is very private and does not welcome visitors so it is a no go zone, I know of peole having tanks filled at the watersports office but at $20 a time so they dont really like to do it. Yes you are right there is no dive shop the last one is back in Cairns I dout if you will get tanks filled in Cook town. The snorkling around Lizard is amazing so very few people dive around there if I was you I would save my tanks to go out to the Cod Hole to dive with the massive cod out there and enjoy the endless reef that is easy to be part of from the surface.
You can get resupplied with food and that is the same as Flinders Island via Woolies in Cairns and comes up on the barge every two weeks. ( you are in for some new experiances) the Marlin Bar which is the staff bar is open for boaties several nights a week and you can get bistro food and plenty of beer but dont plan to buy bulk beer there as last year it was $60 a case make sure you have your own onboard and visit the Bar just to have a few drinks. There is freash water available.
What type of boat do you have and what size. Good luck Jacko
Hey mate, thanks for the info, I have a Duncanson 37 which I fully re-built a few years ago and made it my home, a little boat but easy to handle alone as I'm solo.
Sounds like I may just do snorkel around lizard that's ok I have a great underwater camera set up. I have a dive buddy in cairns maybe once I check out the sites she can come for a dive trip and collect air from cairns.

I plan to leave Airlie beach on the 1st august and sail as far north as I can and then work my way back should be a good 6 months or so before I need to find a job again!
Old 15-05-2012, 15:24   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 15-05-2012, 15:38   #24

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
If you get to Lizard Is DO NOT MISS DIVING THE COD HOLD.

It is possibly the best but certainly one of the best big fish DIVES IN THE WORLD and easy to access.
I completely agree!!! Rivalled only by the shark dives at Osprey Reef, and the amazing Yongala Wreck - IMHO!

Here is a pic of me at the Cod Hole a few years back!

Old 15-05-2012, 15:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSun

I completely agree!!! Rivalled only by the shark dives at Osprey Reef, and the amazing Yongala Wreck - IMHO!

Here is a pic of me at the Cod Hole a few years back!
Cool I will be there soon! Do have some special dive spots down south here and a dive buddy from Cairns said the conditions of the reef was hard to compare with Cairns. But we will see. I also been looking at the ribbon reefs 1 to 7 they look very interesting from the charts!
Old 27-05-2012, 16:34   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Great to have you posting here.
kind regards,